Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 02:27:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Full list of truly decentralized altcoins.  (Read 1711 times)
helpix.world (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 11

View Profile
July 01, 2019, 08:03:20 PM

Seems like Arionum fits into our criteria as well.
Would please somebody check them and tell me whether I'm wrong?
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2019, 08:10:10 PM

Wow you've got the same idea of another member of this discussion.
Maybe we can work on the site together: you, me and him?
One idea could be to create a Github pages site, where collaboration would be very easy (every interested Github user could join) and there would be no hassle with security issues.

I like the idea of bitcointalk thread because it's being bumped each time someone comments so the idea is being advertised. I'm not that familiar with Github, is there this kind of mechanism there? Of course the cooperation of many people would be preferable.

I don't really know how much this idea is required. I have only 15 coins to analyze left, so maybe another coin will pop up, maybe a couple of coins.
I can also reconsider the small 1-0.5BTC/day coins for a minor coins list, but there are risks to mention coins that has heavy issues that are difficult to understand without a deep study.
So if we create a site just to mention the list of coins we have it may be too much effort for not such a long list.
What do you think?
mindphuq

Activity: 187
Merit: 20

View Profile
July 02, 2019, 09:22:36 PM

As it is now, no one can make Bitcoin obsolete and especially decentralized coins often have the problem, that there's no company behind it. The thing that is good for decentralisation also makes coin development slow and maket share low since an open community often has no roadmap, no investment plans and development is done by volunteers that often get nothing for their work.

I don't know if Pandacoin (PND) would fit into the list. It was first a mere Dogecoin clone made to troll a scammer and after the scammer disappeared, was almost abandoned but then they decided to go full PoS and are now there with a new team which however too consists of volunteers. But it had no premine, ICO, instamine, dev fees or rewards ect, no "owner", has it's own chain so not a token.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1960307.0
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 07:44:46 AM
Last edit: July 03, 2019, 07:57:59 AM by helpix.world

As it is now, no one can make Bitcoin obsolete and especially decentralized coins often have the problem, that there's no company behind it. The thing that is good for decentralisation also makes coin development slow and maket share low since an open community often has no roadmap, no investment plans and development is done by volunteers that often get nothing for their work.
That proves that centralized model is superior to the decentralized one. :-p

I don't know if Pandacoin (PND) would fit into the list. It was first a mere Dogecoin clone made to troll a scammer and after the scammer disappeared, was almost abandoned but then they decided to go full PoS and are now there with a new team which however too consists of volunteers. But it had no premine, ICO, instamine, dev fees or rewards ect, no "owner", has it's own chain so not a token.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1960307.0
Thank you for your suggestion. Pandacoin has had a fair launch as far as I understand. It doesn't fit into 1 BTC/day trading volume criteria but I'll put it in the list of the small coins I'm about to create.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 07:56:51 AM

I've finished analyzing the full list of coins I was working on (all those listed on coinpaprika).
As you can see we have only 11 coins, that has at least some volume, fitting in our criteria.

I think I'll work now on the list of 300 small coins I haven't taken into consideration because their trading volume is under 1 BTC/day. Of course it's not that easy to understand whether a small coin is alive or not or whether it has some heavy issue, so please help me if you know anything about the coins I'll be mentioning.
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 3948
Merit: 6559

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 04:25:46 PM

I like the idea of bitcointalk thread because it's being bumped each time someone comments so the idea is being advertised. I'm not that familiar with Github, is there this kind of mechanism there? Of course the cooperation of many people would be preferable.
Yes, the Bitcointalk thread has its advantages, and SEO-wise it would not be convenient to just copy the list to the Github Pages portal in an identic manner. Instead, a Github Pages (or other similar free web page provider) webpage would enable to create sub-pages for the involucred coins. These can be described, and there could be also links to proofs that the start was fair, there was no ICO etc (on most cases a link to the Announcement thread would be sufficient).

Another advantage: If someone has new informations about one of the coins, or a new coin is to be considered, he/she can simply propose an update to the page with a pull request - or request editing rights.

I can also reconsider the small 1-0.5BTC/day coins for a minor coins list, but there are risks to mention coins that has heavy issues that are difficult to understand without a deep study.
What timeframe do you use for the volume? I think a larger timeframe (at least a month) should be used to prevent short-time peaks. Unfortunately, I don't know if Coinpaprika provides that number (at a first glance I've only found the 24-hour-feature).

A list with several "tiers" would imo solve that problem - one could warn that smaller coins may have issues, and most people will know that low-volume/marketcap coins are riskier than big ones.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mindphuq

Activity: 187
Merit: 20

View Profile
July 03, 2019, 08:56:53 PM

Yeah that's probably true, sadly. But for a small project it's certainly hard to get things up and running. I worked a little with Blackcoin and the team did a few things like implementing Colored Coins, Atomic Swaps where put in over night ect but none of that ever really took off because it's hard to get the attention about implementations when you are at the rank 300 and lower on CMC and have a small team.

I think the ICO hype caused alot of harm to the crypto community. Coins that collected millions with ICOs where either scammers or where able to actually pay developers and marketing teams and soon nothing went when you didn't create a huge fuzz about it, paid exchanges and coin sites to pitch the coin and appeared on cons. I guess a few developers of decentralized coins went frustrated when ICO coins passed them with huge fuzz and left community projects in the dust.

Thank you for your suggestion. Pandacoin has had a fair launch as far as I understand. It doesn't fit into 1 BTC/day trading volume criteria but I'll put it in the list of the small coins I'm about to create.

The launch was originally like Dogecoin, somewhat of a troll but they created a working coin out of it, got from PoW to PoS and they are still active and try to do stuff.

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the 1BTC/day trading limit however I also suspect, that many volumes are actually fake because it's so easy for exchanges to artificial pump up volumes with next to no effort. https://www.forbes.com/sites/cbovaird/2019/03/22/95-of-reported-bitcoin-trading-volume-is-fake-says-bitwise/ So I don't know how informative volumes are at all. And in turn it spoils the validity of CMC rankings which in turn influences investors since it's one of the first addresses to look at coin performance data. Of course that won't help the volume of PND either.

It certainly would be great when exchanges wheren't centralized companies, that have a motivation to puff up maket data to attract traders. And it's actually somewhat daft, that we use decentralized currencies but then depend on centralized exchanges.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2019, 10:45:59 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2019, 11:25:21 AM by helpix.world

Yes, the Bitcointalk thread has its advantages, and SEO-wise it would not be convenient to just copy the list to the Github Pages portal in an identic manner. Instead, a Github Pages (or other similar free web page provider) webpage would enable to create sub-pages for the involucred coins. These can be described, and there could be also links to proofs that the start was fair, there was no ICO etc (on most cases a link to the Announcement thread would be sufficient).

Another advantage: If someone has new informations about one of the coins, or a new coin is to be considered, he/she can simply propose an update to the page with a pull request - or request editing rights.
Maybe it may make sense working on a kind of Community of decentralized currencies. In such case going outside of this thread would make even more sense. Another thing I'd like to create is a fully decentralized site for this project.

What timeframe do you use for the volume? I think a larger timeframe (at least a month) should be used to prevent short-time peaks. Unfortunately, I don't know if Coinpaprika provides that number (at a first glance I've only found the 24-hour-feature).
Thank you for your suggestion of course I have to consider larger timeframe, but I don't know where to find it. There is no such data on coinmarketcap as well.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2019, 10:51:01 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2019, 11:24:44 AM by helpix.world

Yeah that's probably true, sadly. But for a small project it's certainly hard to get things up and running. I worked a little with Blackcoin and the team did a few things like implementing Colored Coins, Atomic Swaps where put in over night ect but none of that ever really took off because it's hard to get the attention about implementations when you are at the rank 300 and lower on CMC and have a small team.

I think the ICO hype caused alot of harm to the crypto community. Coins that collected millions with ICOs where either scammers or where able to actually pay developers and marketing teams and soon nothing went when you didn't create a huge fuzz about it, paid exchanges and coin sites to pitch the coin and appeared on cons. I guess a few developers of decentralized coins went frustrated when ICO coins passed them with huge fuzz and left community projects in the dust.
I think that in the long term the truly decentralized currencies will win. By other hand all those private coins that are the majority out there are just another kind of thing and even if they advertise a lot sooner or later people will begin to understand the difference. As I said above maybe a community of decentralized coins should be created in order to solve the issues you mentioned together.  

The launch was originally like Dogecoin, somewhat of a troll but they created a working coin out of it, got from PoW to PoS and they are still active and try to do stuff.

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to the 1BTC/day trading limit however I also suspect, that many volumes are actually fake because it's so easy for exchanges to artificial pump up volumes with next to no effort. https://www.forbes.com/sites/cbovaird/2019/03/22/95-of-reported-bitcoin-trading-volume-is-fake-says-bitwise/ So I don't know how informative volumes are at all. And in turn it spoils the validity of CMC rankings which in turn influences investors since it's one of the first addresses to look at coin performance data. Of course that won't help the volume of PND either.

It certainly would be great when exchanges wheren't centralized companies, that have a motivation to puff up maket data to attract traders. And it's actually somewhat daft, that we use decentralized currencies but then depend on centralized exchanges.
I agree that volumes are often being faked but of course one can't fake a lower volume.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
July 14, 2019, 11:09:54 AM

I'm glad to announce another find: Primecoin.

I've decided to extend this list to the following categories:
24h volume 1 - 0.5 BTC
24h volume 0.5-0.3 BTC
24h volume 0.3-0.1 BTC
24h volume 0.1 - 0.05 BTC
24h volume 0.05-0.01 BTC

BurstDevTeam

Activity: 112
Merit: 2

View Profile
July 15, 2019, 07:58:01 AM

Great to see you still maintaining here. I am always following this thread.
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
July 15, 2019, 09:25:43 AM

Great to see you still maintaining here. I am always following this thread.

Thank you! :-)
muf18

Activity: 882
Merit: 310

View Profile
July 18, 2019, 06:18:06 PM

Cryptonite (XCN), could fit the description?

https://coinpaprika.com/coin/xcn-cryptonite/

Datacoin (DTC)

https://coinpaprika.com/coin/dtc-datacoin/
helpix.world (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2019, 10:57:25 AM

Cryptonite (XCN), could fit the description?

https://coinpaprika.com/coin/xcn-cryptonite/

Datacoin (DTC)

https://coinpaprika.com/coin/dtc-datacoin/

Thank you very much for your suggestion!

Cryptonite is in my list of coins to analyze, Datacoin as well, so I'll be able to tell you in the next days whether they fit or not.
Consider that the volumes of Datacoin are so low at the moment that, I'm afraid I won't be able to put it in the main list.
Cheesus

Activity: 692
Merit: 254

terra-credit.com

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 09:45:19 PM

A very good list for sure. The crypto seems losing its decentralization! Most of the project is likely centralized or licensed and without a license or a proper address, a crypto project will be ignored by the crypto people! The longest bear market really harmed a lot in crypto's nature!

███████████████████████
  █████████████████████ 
    ███████████████████ 
      █████████████████ 
███████████████████████
          █████████████ 
            ███████████ 
              █████████ 
                ███████ 
                  ████ 
                    ███ 

terracredit