Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:11:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Libra blockchain - is it a blockchain at all  (Read 107 times)
casperBGD (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1151

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2019, 08:06:31 PM

I quote this from the whitepaper - "Unlike previous blockchains, which view the blockchain as a collection of blocks of transactions, the Libra Blockchain is a single data structure that records the history of transactions and states over time"

So, Libra blockchain is not chain of blocks, as the name says, but single data structure instead, which brings interesting fact that new node do not need do download previous blockchain history. New nodes have to believe existing nodes, that have single data structure with them. This is good for a start, where Facebook is trusted organisation, with PayPal, Visa, MasterCard included in partnership for Libra, but it will be interesting to see how this will play out when the partnership becomes open, and that is what founder (facebook) promised as a plan. You will have to believe new nodes, is that acceptable for you?
On the other hand, this brings decentralisation issue, since Facebook is partnering with several organisations to provide decentralisation, but with this type of contract, i think that this could rather be called distributed architecture, then decentralised, since everyone has their commitments through contracts, and this cannot be seen as different parties on my view

what do you think?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: