Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:39:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Suggestion] Reference links with Ban Notifications  (Read 332 times)
btcsmlcmnr (OP)

Activity: 546
Merit: 159

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 11:42:58 AM
Last edit: May 11, 2019, 12:14:29 AM by btcsmlcmnr

Bans (temporary or permanent) come from forum rule violations. There are two types of bans: Temporary and Permanent. Each kind of bans depend on two things:
  • Types of rule violations
  • How many times of offence forum users get
When a user get banned, a Ban Notification pops up with Red immediately after log in, but it is too general message.
This one is just one of Ban Notification templates:
Sorry User_A, you are banned from posting or sending personal messages on this forum.
You have been permanently banned by a forum moderator, probably due to spam or plagiarism. You may appeal here, but your chances are not good: banappeals...@theymos.e4ward.com)

The too general Ban Notifications result in abundant Ban Appeals in Meta board, especially after yesterday massive bans.
Yesterday, almost 300 accounts were banned, that's about 4 times more than most days.
Bans likely come from reports (from forum users) or by mods' findings, so it is obviously that when mods Click on Ban button, they clearly know reasons of each banned case (with proof of spam, plagiarism, etc.).

Therefore, I suggest admin to consider adding Reference link inside the Ban Notification that will be send to Banned users. This reference link is the same as what we have in Trust system (feedback,  and reference links). If this Reference link for Ban Notification implemented, it will help to reduce numbers of Ban Appeals in Meta board. Consequently, Meta board will become cleaner and a more purely place to discuss about forum issues.

Such a Reference link might be unneccessary for temporary banned cases, because they will come back later; or nuked cases. In contrast, Reference link is essential thing for Permanent banned cases. Most of perma-bans come from plagiarism, and with plagiarsim, mods only need to leave reference link to a single plagiarism (mods can leave links to two, three plagiarims if they have time).

References:
Ban appeal - How to make it right and reduce workload for forum staffs
Writing a welcome message
[Report] Ban Evasion [Requesting Admin/mod to check those and ban]
Signature Campaign Guidelines (read this before starting or joining a campaign) (Some information on types of bans, offences, and explanations)
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16327

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
May 10, 2019, 11:55:40 AM

when mods Click on Ban button (not Autobanned)
Despite the name, Autoban means a user was banned by a Mod.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Thirdspace

Activity: 1232
Merit: 738

Mixing reinvented for your privacy | chipmixer.com

View Profile
May 10, 2019, 10:37:44 PM

Therefore, I suggest admin to consider adding Reference link inside the Ban Notification that will be send to Banned users. This reference link is the same as what we have in Trust system (feedback,  and reference links). If this Reference link for Ban Notification implemented, it will help to reduce numbers of Ban Appeals in Meta board. Consequently, Meta board will become cleaner and a more purely place to discuss about forum issues.
do you mean by Reference link here is a url link to the post which user was found breaking the rules?
if that's the case then it would be useless to implement, as it would point to non-existent post
because mods usually delete the post before banning user, or remove all posts for "nuked" user

btcsmlcmnr (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2019, 12:11:17 AM

do you mean by Reference link here is a url link to the post which user was found breaking the rules?
if that's the case then it would be useless to implement, as it would point to non-existent post
because mods usually delete the post before banning user, or remove all posts for "nuked" user
I edited and clarified a little bit in OP. I suggest Reference links specially for Permanent banned cases, and their plagiarisms.
I don't know, but let's wait and do some quick calculation on 300 banned cases yesterday to get something:
- How many of them are perma-banned cases?
- How many of perma-banned cases come from plagiarisms?
I am waiting for their ban appeals and proofs of their perma-bans, then I will let you know later, but I guess it will be higher than 95%.
Such a Reference link might be unneccessary for temporary banned cases, because they will come back later. In contrast, Reference link is essential thing for Permanent banned cases. Most of perma-bans come from plagiarism, and with plagiarsim, mods only need to leave reference link to a single plagiarism (mods can leave links to two, three plagiarims if they have time).
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 3551

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
May 11, 2019, 07:48:09 AM

I edited and clarified a little bit in OP. I suggest Reference links specially for Permanent banned cases, and their plagiarisms.
If those who are banned read the rules, I do not expect them to be banned.
Many of them do not even stop to know why they are banned and create more accounts.
This message will add nothing as they will come back with a lot of accounts or the same question.
The purpose of creating a topic after the ban is to assess whether you deserve the ban or other chances.

"Welcome message" will be better and perhaps in ideal circumstances there will be a small training session as happens on YouTube.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
btcsmlcmnr (OP)

View Profile
May 11, 2019, 08:11:12 AM

You seems to misunderstood what I meant. I suggested because I think such Reference link to proof of one to three plagiarised posts will help to reduce three things:
- Abundantly Ban Appeals and excessive workloads on forum staffs.
- Mindful users whom got banned will know themselves the reasons of their bans (for permanent bans) by looking at Reference links to their plagiarised posts.
- Less unnecessary Ban Appeals topics in Meta boards, which should only be for things relate to forum pros & cons as well as suggestion to improve forum.

Somehow, it is annoying to see 30 or 50 to 100 new Ban Appeals in Meta per day. By the way, I think that if possible, forum should have a child board, only for Ban Appeals, a child board inside the Meta board.
btcsmlcmnr (OP)

View Profile
May 12, 2019, 10:09:03 AM

Despite the name, Autoban means a user was banned by a Mod.
Due to perma-bans manually made by mods, so I believe that it does not cost too much time for mods to add at least 1 or 2 reference links to plagiarism proofs. The issue likely depends on theymos, because the admin might have to code a little bit to add new feature and new Ban Notification template. How do you think about my suggestion, everyone?
TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 6856

View Profile WWW
May 12, 2019, 10:12:33 AM

Somehow, it is annoying to see 30 or 50 to 100 new Ban Appeals in Meta per day. By the way, I think that if possible, forum should have a child board, only for Ban Appeals, a child board inside the Meta board.
Like hilariousandco already said (just in other words): the ban reason is already stated in the message. The user usually knows why he got banned, but they like to play dumb hoping they can pass it as a mistake.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Sharon121212

Activity: 280
Merit: 215

View Profile
May 12, 2019, 10:59:08 AM

The is some much similarity with this suggestion about ban notifications as to the various of one's we have seen already on this forum.
The ban message has attached to it "probably due to spam or plagiarism" it could be any of the two or even both of them I think that's clear enough.
Ban appeal would always come it's all most spontaneous for those found guilty to do so.
So long as the appeal is legal and it would get a reply then the thread would be lock I think it would be ok
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
May 12, 2019, 11:08:56 AM

Like hilariousandco already said (just in other words): the ban reason is already stated in the message. The user usually knows why he got banned, but they like to play dumb hoping they can pass it as a mistake.
Also, there where somewhere on the forum some funny 'Ban appeal' cards or similar, where the most commonly used excuses were gathered together, like:
it was my brother/sister, not me, it was my neighbour, etc...
I also think that most of the banned members who copypaste, know exacly what they do and why they do it, so they don't need a ref.link if banned.
Those who has no clue about bitcoin and the forum itself, who learns how to make quick money with posting on this forum from youtube videos, they won't have a clue about the possible bans, because those youtube videos don't cover this part of the process I guess Smiley
Mr. Big
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1175

While my guitar gently weeps!!!

View Profile
May 12, 2019, 11:40:56 AM

That's time consuming, there are hundreds of accounts that needs banning, and the mods have to click many times in the profile,the Ctrl+ A, C, V, Tab few times if we need to do that...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: