Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:51:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Proof of Work and Delayed Proof of Work  (Read 196 times)
iam_aayushiJ (OP)

Activity: 190
Merit: 15

Customer Support at https://coinswitch.co/

View Profile
May 11, 2019, 02:34:59 AM

Anyone here who can throw some light on difference between proof of work and delayed proof of work. Thanks.

🅲🅾🅸🅽🆂🆆🅸🆃🅲🅷 SCAM 🅴🆇🅲🅷🅰🅽🅶🅴

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sonu_titu

Activity: 136
Merit: 39

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 11:06:40 AM

Anyone here who can throw some light on difference between proof of work and delayed proof of work. Thanks.

I read about this topic while I was reading about 51% attack. I would say dPoW adds one more security check to PoW by taking backup/snapshot. That is every 10 min the Komodo blockchain network takes a backup/snapshot of the blockchain and stores this snapshot in an block of bitcoin network. This process of taking a snapshot and storing it in a block is called notarization. Once the block is notarized it cannot be changed which makes the blockchain more resistant or secure from 51% attack.

I had read that this is currently implemented in Bitcoin. I still have confusion that if this was that useful why are the other coins not implementing it? I think dPoW can even prevent Tx malleability issue not sure about tx malleability.

You can read more about dPoW in below articles:
https://blog.komodoplatform.com/delayed-proof-of-work-explained-9a74250dbb86
https://www.binance.vision/blockchain/delayed-proof-of-work-explained

bigatenz

Activity: 132
Merit: 17

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 11:55:18 AM

Proof of work (PoW) is a consensus algorithm while delayed Proof of work (dPoW) is just an security protocol mechanism that implemented in PoW to become more secure from the 51% attack.
Khaos77

Activity: 200
Merit: 73

Flag Day ☺

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 03:03:03 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2019, 04:38:21 AM by Khaos77

I read about this topic while I was reading about 51% attack. I would say dPoW adds one more security check to PoW by taking backup/snapshot. That is every 10 min the Komodo blockchain network takes a backup/snapshot of the blockchain and stores this snapshot in an block of bitcoin network. This process of taking a snapshot and storing it in a block is called notarization. Once the block is notarized it cannot be changed which makes the blockchain more resistant or secure from 51% attack.

I had read that this is currently implemented in Bitcoin.
I still have confusion that if this was that useful why are the other coins not implementing it? I think dPoW can even prevent Tx malleability issue not sure about tx malleability.

You can read more about dPoW in below articles:
https://blog.komodoplatform.com/delayed-proof-of-work-explained-9a74250dbb86
https://www.binance.vision/blockchain/delayed-proof-of-work-explained

I would think other coins would not implement for the following.

1. You are using another coin to secure your network,
    No matter how you define it , it does make you dependent on that network.
    This means that the other network issues are your issues,
    ie: The monumental energy waste of bitcoin , your coin is now directly contributing too by using it.

2. Paying variable transaction fees to a competing coin on a consistent basis

3. Being dependent on the other coin's miners to keep your coin secure.

If I believe in an altcoin, then the above 3rd party sponsoring of bitcoin seem like being a hypocrite.
If an Altcoin needs bitcoin to be secure, then to hell with the altcoin and just use bitcoin.

Dependence on a 3rd party,
that may decide it is in their best interest to throw a monkey wrench in your coin network is an attack vector that smart devs won't add.

FYI:
Rolling Checkpoints are alot cheaper and do not make you dependent on another network.
Alert31

Activity: 1041
Merit: 25

Trident Protocol | Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!

View Profile
June 27, 2019, 03:44:25 PM

Proof Of Work is a piece of data which is not easy to produce because it is time consuming but it is the easy way for others to verify in order to satisfies certain requirements. This is the famous or well known decentralized mechanism of consensus at this present tine.
Delayed Proof of Works is to double spend the transaction.It is a hybrid consensus method that allows one blockchain to take advantage of the security provider through the hashing power of a secondary blockchain.

Simple «buy-hold-earn» system!      │     TRIDENT PROTOCOL     │      HIGH FIXED APY  >>> 382,945%
THE HIGH PAYING AUTO-STAKING & AUTO-COMPOUNDING PROTOCOL
████████████|           Twitter           |          Telegram          |            Reddit            |████████████
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: