Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:35:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: urgent help needed - losing bitcoins  (Read 4988 times)
jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:06:38 AM

Very simple:

1. Unplug your existing harddrive.
2. Plug an empty harddrive.
3. Install windows
4. Plug your old haddrive and search for the wallet file

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:27:16 AM

I am looking at the right partition unfortunately 100%. When I plug in the hdd from the crashed wi8 pc is shows up as "e:/". All other files are present, I now found a multibit shortcut in menu start and it leads to program files x86. Havent looked at the results of the deep scan, done with work in 3 hours. Really a nightmare guys I really hope any of you guys will have the answer. Bounty is 0,5btc

You should stop using your win 8 hard drive. Shut down your computer and physically disconnect the SATA and power cables. Then contact a professional data recovery company and get them to look at it. This is much better than offering a bounty to strangers on the Internet.
fanaat (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 09:20:00 AM

I am looking at the right partition unfortunately 100%. When I plug in the hdd from the crashed wi8 pc is shows up as "e:/". All other files are present, I now found a multibit shortcut in menu start and it leads to program files x86. Havent looked at the results of the deep scan, done with work in 3 hours. Really a nightmare guys I really hope any of you guys will have the answer. Bounty is 0,5btc

You should stop using your win 8 hard drive. Shut down your computer and physically disconnect the SATA and power cables. Then contact a professional data recovery company and get them to look at it. This is much better than offering a bounty to strangers on the Internet.

You are right, thanks for the advice, I don't write or change anything on this drive. I have back upped the drive.
Risk with a professional data recovery company is that they will have access to those coins. I hope I can figure it out myself, but indeed the final solution is this.
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 09:52:40 AM

Did you have your wallet password protected or not? If you did you should be fine with professional data recovery services, if not you may have not be able to trust them not to steal your coins if they do find your wallet. What recovery program are you using at the moment?
flatfly
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 10:46:23 AM

Perhaps the Multibit folder was not deleted but somehow moved to a different path on the HD.

So, one more thing definitely worth trying - especially as it takes only a couple minutes:

Get "Everything Search" (portable version) from http://www.voidtools.com/
And just search for "multibit".  The search is extremely fast and comprehensive.
mintodev

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:10:38 PM

Nop. Time to go into major depression state i guess. I am only 18 and about to lose 35K$.
Goodbye future because of a silly mistake Sad.

I really appriciate it guys, I wish one of your suggestions would work.

Hey fanaat,

Always remember this thing, Never give up until you succeed. There is a way always for any problem. If you had wallet file in the old hard drive, then there is no way it will be removed. There will be the wallet.dat file some or other way in the pc.

Just use file recovery software to get the wallet back. This happened to us once on early time at 2012, which one of worker corrupted the whole system, the whole hard disk got corrupted, and all the .dat files were corrupted. But then, after 3 days of hard search using several softwares, we finally discovered it. The same problem happened to you again.

Don't format completely, as you will loose all the files. Just use recovery software, that is the best thing to get back your files completely. It is sad that at the age of 18, it will be very painful to loose $35k.

Just try using different ways. I wish i can suggest you, but the process is very lengthy and some of the suggestions are already given my pro members here and i appreciate that. Just try file recovery software, that should be the best thing.
softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:15:50 PM

Very simple:

3. Install windows

you should try this
assuming its not encrypted

mintodev

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 12:36:26 PM

Very simple:

3. Install windows

you should try this
assuming its not encrypted

Not encrypted. I will execute that suggestion and finally Flatfly's suggestion. The last will be professional data recovery service, will cost around 750 EURO i think, not sure if they are no cure no pay. I still have hope but this is very depressing. Sad

Make sure if you are able to recover the wallet for sure using the professional data recovery service, if not you will be loosing another 750 euros, that will be more painful. I wish you good luck.

The file is definetly hidden in the hard disk, but you need someone experience to recover it, because you are just doing the wrong step according to your message, or be ready to risk your coins.
jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 01:45:19 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 04:45:03 PM by jbrnt

The last will be professional data recovery service, will cost around 750 EURO i think, not sure if they are no cure no pay. I still have hope but this is very depressing. Sad

I think it is unlikely that your harddisk has a hardware fault or platter failure.
Cos it is fairly new and you haven't mentioned any strange noise from the hard disk.

I would try more reliable recovery software first, but it is your call.
Best of luck!
fanaat (OP)

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 03:45:23 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2015, 12:05:31 AM by fanaat

SDFSDF
beltin

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 04:23:15 PM

Try as many recommended scanning/recovery applications you can find.

I've known people to drop their external disk and knock the head off it and manage to send the HDD away to get the data recovered off it.

There is plenty of hope still.
E.exchanger

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

NEED CRYPTO CODER? COIN DEVELOPER? PM US FOR HELP!

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 06:09:24 PM

Not sure but try last known good configuration it worked for me but my situation was different and also you can try to take your computer in safe mode in networking and there get the wallet backup and and then hen reinstall your windows !!!
st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 06:29:06 PM

do you know where to look for the wallet?
search option won't always find the file on your hd if the files are not indexed.
i think multibit does not install itself in program files by default.

enable showing hidden folders and go here:

C:/users/*user*/AppData<- hidden folder/Roaming/Multibit

hope this helps Smiley

beltin

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:20:36 PM

search option won't always find the file on your hd if the files are not indexed.

hope this helps Smiley

Think he's already tried that...
st4nl3y
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 07:44:34 PM

hope this helps Smiley

Think he's already tried that...

it was worth a shot Smiley
beltin

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 04:41:07 PM

Any joy?
sdp

Activity: 469
Merit: 281

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2014, 11:41:06 AM

There is a paid package for hard disc recovery you can buy at www.grc.com.  It has been around for years.  If you have thousands of dollars in bitcoins, it is worth the $89.

Coinsbank: Left money in their costodial wallet for my signature.  Then they kept the money.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 09:56:05 AM

OP don't leave us in the dark

did you get your coins back?
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: