Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 04:06:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Competition] Report spammers and pseudo-goodposters  (Read 1328 times)
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

Activity: 1581
Merit: 1265

Heisenberg Design Services

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2019, 06:24:09 PM

Topics like this does generate interest in reporting more posts, but reporting shouldn't be forced to do so. Whenever you watch a spam/off-topic irrelevant reply you should report that, but initiating a competition for highest number of posts is not really good (in my opinion). Spammers have reached their limit of spamming and since they are not getting ranked up as earlier to higher ranks through their spamming, most of them left the forum actually. Other Left out people here are those really good posters and those who are still hunting down for merits and abusing them. If such a merit competition is to be created, the abusers would be aware of this and would start spamming the report section to receive their first, second or third place which shouldn't happen. Merit was not meant to be given as a award for such competition.

Another fact is what o_e_l_e_o said, spammers could easily change the report stats with just using a inspect element page and receive their merits. Or it could happen such that, they would report almost everything in Bounties (Altcoins) section. That place is just absolute trash and we can easily get around 20-30 reports added to your count daily. None of the staffs is really available here to confirm these numbers other than theymos himself and probably we are never seeing these report stats quite often. Whenever theymos thinks of providing us with the stats, he posts them. Other than that depending on him for stats is just like wasting our own time.

I guess "Spam Buster Club" created by iasenko is a better alternative and is more like a community to work together in trashing the spammers. I don't think rewarding or monetizing these reporting would really work in real time or for a longer time.
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 07:10:07 PM

Reward (in terms of money/merit) for reports is terrible solution.

What if I buy a posting bot and create 10-15 accounts, then start spamming the local sections which have no moderator and use the main account to report the posts.
You can config the bot to directly report those spam posts created with the fake accounts.

At the end everything is automated and you do nothing at all to increase your report count.

No, if you report, do if for the good of the forum, for the community not for money.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
April 28, 2019, 07:11:53 PM

BTW do You, as staff member, have access to others "report to moderator" stats? Or only Theymos has it?
We have access to most recent reports, but not total amount of reports handled by x user. So the only person who would be able to verify the data would indeed be theymos or presumably cyrus. Plus, I doubt any staff member would release any data without permission from theymos anyway.

Another fact is what o_e_l_e_o said, spammers could easily change the report stats with just using a inspect element page and receive their merits. Or it could happen such that, they would report almost everything in Bounties (Altcoins) section. That place is just absolute trash and we can easily get around 20-30 reports added to your count daily. None of the staffs is really available here to confirm these numbers other than theymos himself and probably we are never seeing these report stats quite often. Whenever theymos thinks of providing us with the stats, he posts them. Other than that depending on him for stats is just like wasting our own time.
You could easily hit 5000 reports a day if you were dedicated to the course in the altcoin section, and many users are reporting hundreds a day. I've woken up to reports in the thousands some days, and a lot of them are coming from the altcoin section. The place is absolutely incredible, and unfortunately good discussion does get lost there.

If anyone does come up with an idea which would encourage others to report more without the drawbacks discussed then I can absolutely get behind the idea.   
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2019, 06:59:45 AM
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (1)

You could easily hit 5000 reports a day if you were dedicated to the course in the altcoin section, and many users are reporting hundreds a day. I've woken up to reports in the thousands some days, and a lot of them are coming from the altcoin section. The place is absolutely incredible, and unfortunately good discussion does get lost there.
5000 reports per day is absolutely incredible and would make the moderator shit in his pants. The problem with most of the reporters is that, they report each and every post if the user spams the forum continuosly. This shouldn't be encouraged. Just reporting one and commenting to take a look onto the spammer's post history would do good. Similarly if a topic is filled with referral spams, it would be better to report one and comment to look onto the other posts in the topic. With this, the moderator might trash the whole topic without just viewing each and every report. Once last year, I have seen that mdayonliner reported more than 200 posts per day made by the same spammer and hilarious PM'd him to just report one and leave a comment.

I was active in the Altcoin Section last year helping people on technical questions. But its just absolute waste of my time searching for one good topic for 30-40 mins. I just left that place once for all unless theymos creates a Tech Board for Alts or something like Serious Discussion for having good discussions about Alts. Same as btc, I am interested in the tech of the alts too.

I don't really understand how you are moderating such a massive frog pond and keeping them clean with you being the only moderator apart from mprep.

If anyone does come up with an idea which would encourage others to report more without the drawbacks discussed then I can absolutely get behind the idea.
If anyone is really concerned about the health of the forum, they would surely report no matter what they receive in return.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18497

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 07:56:24 AM

Just reporting one and commenting to take a look onto the spammer's post history would do good.
I've had mixed results with this on occasion. There have been a handful of times I've reported one post with a comment along the lines of "Serial one-line zero value spammer - please review post history and delete as appropriate/trash/nuke/ban/whatever", and the post I reported has been deleted but none of the others have been touched. In these cases, I've gone back and reported 20+ posts by the user in question and had them all trashed. It's a minority of cases, but it does happen sometimes.

Once last year, I have seen that mdayonliner reported more than 200 posts per day made by the same spammer and hilarious PM'd him to just report one and leave a comment.
200 a day for one user is ridiculous I agree, but I'm sure I've reported the same user 20+ times in a day. Not because I'm going through their post history but because I'm going through the first page of a board, and if they are spamming in every thread then I'm going to see all their posts.
Heisenberg_Hunter
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2019, 09:14:42 AM
Last edit: May 01, 2019, 01:34:54 PM by Heisenberg_Hunter

the post I reported has been deleted but none of the others have been touched. In these cases, I've gone back and reported 20+ posts by the user in question and had them all trashed. It's a minority of cases, but it does happen sometimes.
Yes, that's true. I have experienced similar occasions on reporting. I guess, the handling of reports varies with global and board moderators. Sometimes, I report a post and see that they get handled along with other posts of the spammers within few minutes. Since then I have watched closely who handles the reports and seen that rickbig would probably be the only guy online at that time and he should have trashed the posts along with nuking the newbie. I am not really used to the mprep's way of handling of reports but rickbig and hilarious has done an outstanding moderation to have the forum free from spams. Other times, I just report one and comment to look onto the post history but they don't get trashed.

200 a day for one user is ridiculous I agree, but I'm sure I've reported the same user 20+ times in a day. Not because I'm going through their post history but because I'm going through the first page of a board, and if they are spamming in every thread then I'm going to see all their posts.
I have tried this too with some minimal reports (somewhere around 10). Either way, if every one of us report accurately we don't really need an extra moderator and the forum would be much more clean than it is now.
theyoungmillionaire

Activity: 375
Merit: 1021

Just in case no one loves you, I love you 3000.

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 09:56:52 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2019, 10:07:06 AM by theyoungmillionaire

-snip-
I feel you. Sometimes you end up with a bad reporting by doing that (that's my experienced). I think it is much easier for moderators to just report them on a single thread rather than tell them to check every post for deletion or nuking, moderators don't have enough time to check every post if it is really needed of deletion. If a moderator can see 200+ of reports in a single thread, they might need to trash that specific thread, rather than reading them each post.

Also, if a forum member is flooding different boards you can just report them, not all moderators are online on a certain board. So, if you report them, at least one online moderator (different board) can check them and just nuke that user (that's what I have experienced), it is much easier to detect, than in a single board report.

Either way, if every one of us report accurately we don't really need an extra moderator and the forum would be much more clean than it is now.
We do need extra moderators even if we report accurately. Spam has a different approach now than before. Honestly, the altcoin section is no longer that same old Great project, it has now conversation stuff or pseudo-goodpost like bot talking to each other. If moderators are basing only on what you have reported you will end up having a bad reporting. New batch of moderators are needed, it was already suggested and even hilariousandco is open to that, especially on bitcoin discussion and altcoin board. Beginners and Help is a good starting point on building new moderators, at least they can be a patroller since I can see B&H is no longer the same shit when I first check that board and to be honest some newbies are complaining why their post are being deleted there, it is not iron hand, it is just what a reporter thinks we read every day. Quality posters are evolving, spammers too.

o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18497

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 10:53:12 AM

If a moderator can see 200+ of reports in a single thread, they might need to trash that specific thread, rather than reading them each post.
I often mention that in my reporting comment to try to get spam mega threads locked. I'll report spam posts within the last 7 days so spammers won't get paid for them, and then I'll report the OP's post stating something along the lines of "Spam mega-thread, x number of spam posts in the last y days reported for deletion. Please consider locking." You can even do it over the course of a few days or a couple of weeks if the thread isn't terrible but keeps filling up with spam - I just search https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=reportlist;mine for how many good reports I have in that thread. If it's >50 posts in the space of week, that's a pretty sure sign the thread is a spamfest.
Tytanowy Janusz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1622

View Profile
April 30, 2019, 08:07:09 AM

Since i see more disadvantages than advantages i'm giving up with this competition. We are not able to reach the goal without Theymos help. Thanks to eaLiTy [/b] and yazher[/b] for showing good will.

I see this topic changed from "competition" to very good quality report discussion. It's nice to see it.

I'll report spam posts within the last 7 days so spammers won't get paid for them
That's the best way. They don't care about already paid posts since there is no account nuke after N deleted posts.

What if I buy a posting bot and create 10-15 accounts, then start spamming the local sections which have no moderator and use the main account to report the posts.
You can config the bot to directly report those spam posts created with the fake accounts.

Well that will for sure not be implemented into competition like that but we can have reporting points based on users rank. F.e.

5 points for each deleted spam post made by Legendary member
3 -//- hero member
2 -//- senior member
1 -//- full member
0 -//- member, junior, newbie

That way everyone willing to gain reporting points will hunt for high rank spammers. Which is good in my opinion.
And those reporting points could be exchanged for badges or merits. I know that merits was implemented to improve post quality by rewarding quality posts but helping in getting rid of spam posts also improve BTT discussion level.

Add 2 weeks cooldown for spamer if more than 10 post were deleted in one week period and we have all drawbacks of such system fixed.
wwzsocki
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1702

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2019, 10:16:59 AM
Last edit: May 14, 2019, 09:59:06 PM by wwzsocki

I don't know how I missed your answer in my Junk accounts - what is it? Are they a threat? How to get rid of them?

@wwzysocki I was thinking a lot how to fight against spammers, pseudo-goodposters and i came up with this thread.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5136341.new#new
Hope you will like it. Of it's pilot competition. If it will work i'll host one by one.

I like this competition very much only I am still confused if it will bring the expected effects?

As you know I have already reported thousands of shitpost and other abusers last year and I gave up finally because there was no sign of effects.

I remember to be busy for hours with reports back then and still after each one there was already 10 new spammy posts published.

Today there are not so many bounties and merit system is holding this forum in a grip so maybe there is a new chance to do something. I hope.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: