Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:24:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital goods section is a mess  (Read 552 times)
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
April 29, 2019, 05:03:01 PM

I would agree with you on this, that a general "digital goods" should be removed, and individual sub-sections placed under "goods" maybe? That way if someone wants to buy illegal gift cards, they can choose that sub-section, and if someone is actively looking for cracked accounts, they can choose the section for it. In general, the banning of illegal activity should be more strongly enforced.
Both the trading of "illegal" gift cards and cracked/hacked accounts are against the rules, which you seem to acknowledge (?).

For some reason, it looks like there are no active moderators in the digital goods sub.
There seem to be 2 problems regarding that. One is more mods are required, or the existing ones need to be more active.

The other problem is that apparently they consider something illegal (and therefore against the rules) only if there's absolutely no doubt. If there's a 99.99% of chances a thread is offering illegal goods then no action is taken because it's plausible the seller is just crazy and is selling at a loss. As a result the whole section is full of illegal items.
The lack of moderators is an easy fix.

As of October 21, 2017, if you are selling a KYC verified account, it is assumed to be hacked (and against the rules) unless you provide an explanation. This rule, could be extended to other types of items such as gift cards, or at a minimum, the seller could be required to attest he obtained the gift cards legally.

There are some legitimate reasons to sell a gift card below its face value, for example if you received it via a loyalty program or some kind of contest and you do not normally shop at the store. Some companies with very high profit margins are fast and loose with giving away credits as a way to get new business.

Despite the above explanations, it is my belief the majority of gift cards sold in the Digital Goods sub either do not exist (a scam attempt), or were somehow obtained illegally. 
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
petahasher (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 25

View Profile
May 03, 2019, 02:28:14 PM

Almost every website has restrictions on gift card sales. It is fraud central. Why then is not a thing done to prevent scams and fraud?

More moderators isn't necessarily a complete fix
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 06:26:59 AM

Almost every website has restrictions on gift card sales. It is fraud central. Why then is not a thing done to prevent scams and fraud?

There are a lot of people transparently selling gift cards fraudulently one way or another, be it the gift cards are non-existent, or the gift cards are a means to launder money, or some other fraud. I assume there are others selling gift cards fraudulently that is not transparent. Some portion of gift card sellers are doing so legitimately because they won the gift card from some contest, received it as part of a loyalty program, received it as a gift, received it via some promotion, received it as compensation for a poor customer experience, or purchased it from someone who received a gift card this way.

It is best to let individuals do their own research to determine who is selling fraudulent gift cards, and who is selling legitimately obtained gift cards. There may not be a clear line between the two, and individual users may have different risk tolerances. In cases in which it is clear illegal activity was done to obtain gift cards, the threads should absolutely be removed.
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2019, 06:58:48 AM

More moderators isn't necessarily a complete fix

Once again you are taking on the view point of "I don't trade in gift cards, so fuck anyone who does because banning it makes more room". Everything would be so simple if everyone simply just did everything you like and nothing you don't like right? I agree many sections of the forum are a mess, but just picking things to ban one by one is not a solution.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2019, 07:29:47 AM
Merited by TECSHARE (1)

I don't want the self-moderated feature to be removed as because of this feature, I could keep my thread clean else when I first tried to sell in that section, people started harassing me asking me to sell 60-70% below the market rate and then telling me I am wasting my time and trolling then. I am glad this feature helped me to keep the thread on-topic and I managed to sell my gift cards then. Same goes for Currency Exchange section. People sometimes start advertising their own product in our threads.

Bitconnect19055

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 16, 2019, 12:13:18 PM

Exactly

I think the mod should reorganize all of this.

jademaxsuy

Activity: 924
Merit: 220

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2019, 02:48:16 PM

It will be a hard time for the admin to change that section. But it could be done somehow.

I suggest that users should join KYC in certain sections that has a lot of reported problems. Segregate some sections system in that localty and please apply KYC so we can trace track the transactions and everything that happen using tue block chain technology.
petahasher (OP)

Activity: 316
Merit: 25

View Profile
May 17, 2019, 04:24:02 AM
Merited by OgNasty (1)

It will be a hard time for the admin to change that section. But it could be done somehow.

I suggest that users should join KYC in certain sections that has a lot of reported problems. Segregate some sections system in that localty and please apply KYC so we can trace track the transactions and everything that happen using tue block chain technology.

That will never happen, did you not see this year's April Fool's joke? KYC is not the answer, and even if KYC was implemented, what would happen with the ID's of people who still scam/sell illegal things?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: