Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:04:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin commercial  (Read 6436 times)
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:38:42 PM

Money laundering shouldn't be a crime any more than using encryption (TLS, Truecrypt, pgp, etc) to protect your other personal data. If you're a criminal and "laundering" money, you'll eventually be caught for the crimes you're committing to make that money and that should be that. I should be allowed (and I can with Bitcoin) to hide my finances - it's nobody's business how much I have or what I do with it.

+1 Exactly.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:42:02 PM

Money laundering shouldn't be a crime any more than using encryption (TLS, Truecrypt, pgp, etc) to protect your other personal data. If you're a criminal and "laundering" money, you'll eventually be caught for the crimes you're committing to make that money and that should be that. I should be allowed (and I can with Bitcoin) to hide my finances - it's nobody's business how much I have or what I do with it.

+1 Exactly.

Write your Congressman. I'd like to read the bill you would propose to justify money laundering. Good luck with your pro-crime sentiments.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 03:55:28 PM

Write your Congressman. I'd like to read the bill you would propose to justify money laundering.

Actually, I dont have to. Bitcoin simply takes the power out of their hands. And I'll continue to let them know how I feel about their voting records each term.

Good luck with your pro-crime sentiments.

Like I said, money laundering is no more a criminal behavior than you using https here.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 03:59:55 PM

Like I said, money laundering is no more a criminal behavior than you using https here.

The definition of money laundering is concealing the source of illegally gotten money.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:04:47 PM

The definition of money laundering is concealing the source of illegally gotten money.

The point is it shouldn't be illegal.  If the govt outlawed the use of encryption then encryption would be illegal too.  Making encryption illegal would make it easier to catch and convict criminals and if you can't you could always charge them w/ illegal use of encryption (kinda like money laundering charges are used).
Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 04:05:48 PM

That's one hyperbolic definition of money laundering. Another more modest definition might be "Money laundering is concealing the source of money."

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:09:35 PM

That's one hyperbolic definition of money laundering. Another more modest definition might be "Money laundering is concealing the source of money."

Tell dat to da judge.

The point is it shouldn't be illegal.  If the govt outlawed the use of encryption then encryption would be illegal too.  Making encryption illegal would make it easier to catch and convict criminals and if you can't you could always charge them w/ illegal use of encryption (kinda like money laundering charges are used).

Maybe encryption should be illegal if it is used to hide crimes from law enforcement. That doesn't mean it still can't be used. I carry a concealed weapon with a license, that doesn't mean I can just shoot people willy nilly.  Cheesy

Tuxavant

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2011, 04:15:50 PM

Maybe encryption should be illegal if it is used to hide crimes from law enforcement. That doesn't mean it still can't be used. I carry a concealed weapon with a license, that doesn't mean I can just shoot people willy nilly.  Cheesy

Thank you. So just because money laundering might be used by criminal entities, doesn't mean that money laundering can't be used by "law abiding" citizens...

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2011, 04:18:13 PM

Thank you. So just because money laundering might be used by criminal entities, doesn't mean that money laundering can't be used by "law abiding" citizens...

By definition, that is not money laundering. It's nobody's business where I get my money as long as I declare the amount, pay my taxes, and it is legally made.

crawdaddy

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 04:34:13 AM

+1 Exactly.

Write your Congressman. I'd like to read the bill you would propose to justify money laundering. Good luck with your pro-crime sentiments.

What is crime?

"The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets".
Lysander Spooner
crawdaddy

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 04:42:13 AM

I find your discussion on money laundering to be quite funny. I find it funny because many people in the U.S, that argue that it is some how a bad thing forget America would not exist if it not for "laundered monies".

The irony   Grin

"The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets".
Lysander Spooner
deltanine

Activity: 231
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 05:11:42 AM

To steer this back to the topic at hand...  anyone have anymore ideas about commercials?  Because if not I'm going to write out a few radio ads using the ideas already discuss.  If you want to talk about money laundering why don't one of you start another thread.

I'm just going to send these to you, Xenland privately.

Freedom is a state of mind, and then Bitcoin comes along.....
-S4VV4S
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 06:18:09 AM

To steer this back to the topic at hand...  anyone have anymore ideas about commercials?  Because if not I'm going to write out a few radio ads using the ideas already discuss.  If you want to talk about money laundering why don't one of you start another thread.

You said it deltanine.

For some reason I've noticed almost every thread goes off topic kind of hard to go in any direction if you ask me, none the less can't wait to hear what you got in store for radio ads deltanine. Cheesy
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
November 13, 2011, 02:19:06 PM

You said it deltanine.

For some reason I've noticed almost every thread goes off topic kind of hard to go in any direction if you ask me, none the less can't wait to hear what you got in store for radio ads deltanine. Cheesy

And let's not forget those web-based TV-like shows. Some of them have a nice following while others are duds. But let's say you found one that just started and seems to have the potential of really taking off. You may be able to lock in early at a reduced ad rate because of their hunger to get off the ground. With all the diversified minds here that may watch online shows, I'm sure some could keep you abreast of soon-to-be-released series.
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 02:30:09 PM

Gamers
Geeks
Business owners
anybody that has basic working knowledge of computers.

A lot of these people drive to/from their jobs, and some even listen to music while they work...

so why not a radio ad?

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
deltanine

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 05:17:13 PM

And let's not forget those web-based TV-like shows. Some of them have a nice following while others are duds. But let's say you found one that just started and seems to have the potential of really taking off. You may be able to lock in early at a reduced ad rate because of their hunger to get off the ground. With all the diversified minds here that may watch online shows, I'm sure some could keep you abreast of soon-to-be-released series.

Since we've decided to concentrate on radio spots for now, how about we look at audio podcasts to advertise on?

-S4VV4S
deltanine

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 05:27:10 PM

A lot of these people drive to/from their jobs, and some even listen to music while they work...

so why not a radio ad?

We're way ahead of you, johnj. Smiley

Ad placement isn't my forte'.  Anyone have any sway in radio advertising?  It would be interesting to find out what sort of costs we are looking at in the top 25 DMAs.

Another thought would be to cut a commercial in Spanish.  I live in Dallas and there is a huge Mexican immigrant population here and other cities in border states like Houston, San Diego, Los Angeles and Phoenix.  The spanish radio stations reach a very large market.  Many of this audience is looking for better and more safe ways to send money back to relatives in Mexico.

-S4VV4S
johnj

Activity: 154

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 10:10:31 PM

so why not a radio ad?

Ad placement isn't my forte'.  Anyone have any sway in radio advertising?  It would be interesting to find out what sort of costs we are looking at in the top 25 DMAs.

Another thought would be to cut a commercial in Spanish.  I live in Dallas and there is a huge Mexican immigrant population here and other cities in border states like Houston, San Diego, Los Angeles and Phoenix.  The spanish radio stations reach a very large market.  Many of this audience is looking for better and more safe ways to send money back to relatives in Mexico.

Doh sorry, started reading the thread when I had recently woken up.  Didn't quite register I should read further hah.

1AeW7QK59HvEJwiyMztFH1ubWPSLLKx5ym
TradeHill Referral TH-R120549
crawdaddy

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 10:34:13 PM

Have you thought about cotacting Mark at www.freetalklive.com ? They might have some kind of radio commercial production deal.

Here is why I ask, because to have a professional commercial made, it would set u back about $1000 ish. But maybe Free talk live can produce a commercial for you (and you own the rights to the commerical) if you buy commercial spots on their program. A.K.A every once of you budget goes to on air play time.

Lysander Spooner
Xenland (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:19:03 AM

so why not a radio ad?

I like the idea of cutting the commercial into Spanish, I've been to LA myself and other areas you've listed and those could be a huge conversation starters for the Mexican community. I don't speak Spanish so we'll have to find a translator I think.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: