Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:46:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Feature Suggest] Let disable multi quoting  (Read 437 times)
r1s2g3 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 05:15:05 AM

I think this is always Jet Cash thought that quoting and multi quoting of post should be avoided.  I do not think he ever put this request as feature suggest.

Below are the problems of Multi quoting.

1. It really make the discussion long ,when somebody multi quotes 3-4 reply.
2. Replying to a multi quoted  post become a manual task (if you manually remove it). If you do not then it is adding further multi quotes.
3. It break the flow of reading.
4. And lot of user do mistakes when trying to replying on these posts and it cause few accidental plagiarism ban too.

And yes, we have lot of user who quote a  full page post even when it is not needed. If length of post that can be quoted  is also reduced then I guess we might save  some forum space and see a eye pleasing coherent discussion thread.

I am alive

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 6321

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 05:38:25 AM
Merited by TheBeardedBaby (1)

I think that limiting the max number of characters that can be inside a quote could solve much better the problem.
After all, some still quote full ANNs to post an one-liner and this would handle those too.

Edit: for the "manual task" I don't have a good enough solution, I think that in some cases it just cannot be avoided.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 06:30:21 AM

Sometimes a multi-quote as you describe can be useful for someone to understand what is being said if they have been following a thread and is only needing to read the last couple of posts. There will often be multiple sub-conversations within a thread that may be difficult to follow if only one or two quotes are included in the post.

Unless you are removing everything except the most recent quote, I have found it to be difficult to remove only a specific number of quotes within a quote. It would be nice to have a feature that would remove the "inner most" (oldest) quote from a triangle of quotes.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 3134

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 07:00:15 AM

The restrictions can be maybe rank based as most of the mess is done by newbies and jr. members. No one likes the long quotes, but theymos don't really want to add more restrictions to the newbies so it won't be an easy solution.

RapTarX

Activity: 1358
Merit: 850

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 07:30:20 AM

In loan sub board, multi quote is required to keep others word as record for the future. That's gawky but a needed feature. Better if we can raise public awareness to reduce the disaster.

tbct_mt2

Activity: 2282
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2019, 07:47:02 AM
Merited by 1miau (1)

The restrictions can be maybe rank based as most of the mess is done by newbies and jr. members. No one likes the long quotes, but theymos don't really want to add more restrictions to the newbies so it won't be an easy solution.
Newbies and lower rank are one of the most annoying and spamming components in the forum, but they are not the only contributors to spamming and pyramid quotes. Within my more than two-year experience in the forum, I saw higher rank users pyramid quoted (I actually left some examples of higher-ranked pyramid quotators in my below topic). I don't know which reasons behind the lack of theymos' interests to do it. Nevertheless, if theymos implements something to stop pyramid quotes, it might be restricted on all ranks, not only Newbies or lower ranks.

I made my guide here: [TIPS] to avoid pyramid quotes (for Newbies). The title shows it is specifically for Newbies, but in reality it is for all pyramid-quotators.
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 07:48:20 AM

In loan sub board, multi quote is required to keep others word as record for the future. That's gawky but a needed feature. Better if we can raise public awareness to reduce the disaster.

Most of the newbies already know that but they don't care. The Ann bumps often use to quote the whole OP without leaving a comment. This is known technique but it's against the rules and it's easy to report it.

~
Newbies and lower rank are one of the most annoying and spamming components in the forum, but they are not the only contributors to spamming and pyramid quotes. Within my more than two-year experience in the forum, I saw higher rank users pyramid quoted. I don't know which reasons behind the lack of theymos' interests to do it. Nevertheless, if theymos implements something to stop pyramid quotes, it might be restricted on all ranks, not only Newbies or lower ranks.

But the high ranked making this mistake are just few, they won't take the chance to loose the account for stupid things like multiquoting. A few reports will let them know what they do wrong.

tbct_mt2

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2019, 07:54:46 AM

Most of the newbies already know that but they don't care.
It's exactly, people all know what they did are very annoying, me too. It is a shame to admit with you all that before the merit sytem's launch, I made lots of pyramid quotes. I actually felt such quotes are very annoying, but I even did not know how to use the Quote Button appropriately and how to avoid pyramid quotes. Then, due to merit system (thanks for the system), I visited Meta board, and saw a very different style of quoting, then I am curious to click on Quote Button to discuss, then I fortunately saw how they avoid pyramid quotes. That's easy, and from such things I saw in Meta board, I created the guide above.
But the high ranked making this mistake are just few, they won't take the chance to loose the account for stupid things like multiquoting. A few reports will let them know what they do wrong.
I likely misunderstood your opinion in previous posts, if what you aimed it is nuke accounts that do pyramid quotes at specific number of times, it would make forum users go crazy, not only Newbies. If only Newbies are target of account nuking due to pyramid quotes, it is unfair for sure. Therefore, if something implement to control pyramid quotes, it should be a warning message whenever users click on Post button with their pyramid quotes.
"Warning! Please don't do Pyramid quotes, that are annoying; and read more to use Quote button appropriately (with links to read, maybe)"
Or
Warning! Pyramid quotes in total will result in temporary ban / account nuke. Please stop pyramid quoting!" (in case punishments implemented)

From Meta board, I also learn how to use the horizontal line with
Code:
[hr]
CryptopreneurBrainboss
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 4124

eXch.cx - Automatic crypto Swap Exchange.

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2019, 08:14:31 AM

All what you just listed are the negative side of multi quoting now before you ask for that feature to be removed have you considered some positive side of the said multi qouting? In some cases multi qouting is useful, it can also help you understand the flow of a discussion (don't what to give full detail) but the only time the multi quoting feature is annoying is when it's misuse (mostly by newbies & spammers).

A more better solution would be enlightening them on how to use the feature instead of eliminating the feature.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2019, 08:14:58 AM

There is a feature available that enables a user to quote one reply only and some other forums have used that feature. People here too are quoting 6-7 posts which makes it look clumsy. If people want to quote more than one message, they would need to do it manually with the code. Hopefully they can implement this soon.

tbct_mt2

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2019, 08:18:44 AM

All what you just listed are the negative side of multi quoting now before you ask for that feature to be removed have you considered some positive side of the said multi qouting? In some cases multi qouting is useful, it can also help you understand the flow of a discussion (don't what to give full detail) but the only time the multi quoting feature is annoying is when it's misuse (mostly newbies & spammers).

A more better solution would be enlightening them on how to use the feature instead of eliminating the feature.
Pyramid quote definition in the forum has not presented clearly (as I've known). In my opinion, pyramid quotes are posts that have more than three-ladder quotes. However, I don't think less-ladder of quotes are actually useful, it is just the way we said. If someone actually curious and want to know which things discussion mentioned, and flow of ideas, they will naturally click on quote links to visit original topic to see how it goes. It's one of most helfpul meanings of quote links.
I don't know how to express this term relevantly, by mentioning three-ladder quotes, I meant such quotes like this:
Quote from: A
A's post
Quote from: B
B's post
Quote from: C
C's post
Oyarebu

Activity: 258
Merit: 32

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 08:23:49 AM

With due respect sir, there are thousands of high rank accounts that get involved in the same act of long quote and not only for Newbies and Junior Members, some of these accounts are even worst than the said Newbies/Jr. Members. Most of these changes or restriction should be fair to we the lower rank members.  

bc1q09t7xlllkfalkypqvca36qzczd6vlhctnpwj9u
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 08:48:25 AM

With due respect sir, there are thousands of high rank accounts that get involved in the same act of long quote and not only for Newbies and Junior Members, some of these accounts are even worst than the said Newbies/Jr. Members. Most of these changes or restriction should be fair to we the lower rank members.  

I understand your frustration but here is an example. I create a new fresh account only to bump specific thread, someone see my "shitposts" and report it, my account get banned for excessive spam (0 value posts) or for bumping using fake conversations, then I create a new one ( actually there is/are a bot(s) doing this all the time) and start all over.
If a higher ranked member stated doing this, someone will report him ( I'm doing this almost every day and there are many like me) and he can be banned as well, but it's more costly to loose that. I do agree that there are many high ranked members shitposting ( many got banned already) but the main part knows how to use quotations and I'm sure that they won't cause so much trouble as the bots ( big part of the newbie)

Loosing a newbie account ≠ loosing higher ranked account.

Don't get me wrong, I don't say that all the newbies are shitposters but all the bots operate at the newbie level unfortunately, giving the newbies  the bad look they don't deserve. That's why we try to reduce the bot activity, of course there will be some collateral damage but not so extreme.

r1s2g3 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 395

I am alive but in hibernation.

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 09:05:26 AM

You can do with quote also and if required then you can summarize everything in one post.

All what you just listed are the negative side of multi quoting now before you ask for that feature to be removed have you considered some positive side of the said multi qouting? In some cases multi qouting is useful, it can also help you understand the flow of a discussion (don't what to give full detail) but the only time the multi quoting feature is annoying is when it's misuse (mostly by newbies & spammers).

For me, replying to multi quotes sometimes become painful. It take much more time to adjust (or track ) the quotes in comparison to time taken to post the reply.

I am alive
Bitlover10

Activity: 291
Merit: 105

Love is all

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 09:20:53 AM

The main problem of multi quote you can see in the bounty section. When people report their work through his previous quote and when they post 10 week 15 week long report then it's really disturbing to look the whole thread. For example you can see this bounty thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5132067.msg51238955#msg51238955

What is the purpose of doing this it's just annoying and hurt eyes of readers and create garbage in forum. I think we should stop that kind of post first.

Multi quote is not a problem where people discuss about something like we are doing here. I think it's helpful and saving time of the reader. As @tbct_mt2 already shared  [TIPS] to avoid pyramid quotes (for Newbies) is really useful on this matter.

Bitcointalk
tbct_mt2

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2019, 09:24:29 AM

For me, replying to multi quotes sometimes become painful. It take much more time to adjust (or track ) the quotes in comparison to time taken to post the reply.
Personally, I ignore pyramid quotes because most of them are shit posts, maybe more than 90% of pyramid quotes are shit posts; and it is waste of my time to read them as well as to trace back flow of ideas to catch what they are talking about. In reality, it does not take too much time to edit and eliminate un-used parts, just a few of seconds, but it does not deserve our time to do it. The point is why we have to spend our time to clean their pyramid quotes?

The main problem of multi quote you can see in the bounty section. When people report their work through his previous quote and when they post 10 week 15 week long report then it's really disturbing to look the whole thread. For example you can see this bounty thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5132067.msg51238955#msg51238955
For pyramid shitshows in bounty topics, I never care about them and I think we can give them a free child boards to do this. Why we should care about pyramid quotes in such child board? If there is something to care, it should be shut down that childboard. If not, let it be what it be in the Bounty child board.
The Cryptovator
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 2165

Need PR/CMC & CG? TG @The_Cryptovator

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2019, 09:42:19 AM

Likely admin will not bother to change about quote. Usually I always avoid to try multi quote. Its actually depend on user who are replying. A quality poster should know how and where should use quote.

However I am not aginst multi quote. It would be useful on few cases but need proper uses.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
TheBeardedBaby
Legendary

₿uy / $ell

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 09:44:09 AM

When people start using "patrol" they will understand the quoting pyramid problems.
I see no need to have quoting depth more than 4 for everyone despite the rank.

Original post
Someone quoted the OP with comment
Someone else answered the guy and the OP
Third guy comes to comment or argue withe pe previous two and the OP
..and then you post your opinion.

This is max of the extend of the quoting pyramids.

Then people start to cut off the irrelevant information.
in addition quotes without comments should be forbidden in the ANN section, for everyone.

TopTort777
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1430

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 11:44:32 AM

If multi quoting will be disables, how can I answer to 2 persons in 1 post ? Make 2 posts ? But that will be double posting.

Waiting for someone to make another post in topic, so I could my second post ? But that could takes ages and topic most probably will be lost in 3-999 pages on subforum.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
stompix
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 6156

Jambler.io

View Profile
May 28, 2019, 12:13:13 PM

If multi quoting will be disables, how can I answer to 2 persons in 1 post ? Make 2 posts ? But that will be double posting.

Waiting for someone to make another post in topic, so I could my second post ? But that could takes ages and topic most probably will be lost in 3-999 pages on subforum.

It can be done by limiting the consecutive numbers of opened quote code >  [ q u o t e]

So you can't have
spam
spam
spam

But you can have

question1
 answer
question2
 answer
question3
 answer

Doubt it will happen

I think that limiting the max number of characters that can be inside a quote could solve much better the problem.

Hmmm, it might raise problems for some topics in Mining and P&D when people post a lot of code, settings and stuff like that.

BTC
BTC
 BTC
BTC
..JAMBLER.io..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██