Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:41:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Controls your Crypto Funds after Death?  (Read 1016 times)
mersal

Activity: 1204
Merit: 38

View Profile
June 16, 2019, 07:25:10 PM

No one is going to be,because I didn't made any precations to access my wallet details if I am not there anymore so my cryptos will not be accessible forever.But if there is a system in the future to avoid this kind of situation I will share my private key details with my family members only if they can access when I am not anymore.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rdluffy
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1303

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2019, 10:30:22 PM

Very good thread, it's a coincidence, I have been thinking the exact subject
I'm planning to make a USB FlashDrive with all my passwords of banks, e-mails, my smartphone, paid accounts and obviously cryptos (exchanges, wallets etc)
I don't expect to die soon, but can you imagine the difficulty to your relatives if they does't know how to get access to you money, it's a pity if your money is lost and your dear relatives won't have access

I'm thinking how to do this safely, and this involves a person to trust
shield132

Activity: 2198
Merit: 847

View Profile
June 21, 2019, 03:45:41 PM

Funny, strange but yet so real, right?

So if one dies, all the money will get stacked on blockchain and exchanges?

I have about 90% of my funds in crypto and was just wondering over the above?

If you tell your wife, she might kill you and enjoy it with the boyfriend lol &
Hahaha yh and you can't trust even your family....

If they don't kill you probably because they are good siblings...once they know you have much, demand will go high lol

Many will say why not write a will, why not tell a friend etc.. 

But one needs to do this,  I know we all might have our opinions,  let's share and see if we can come to a uniform and decentralized solution....
If we think that way, then maybe one day you'll drink a lot, get black out and who knows what you'll do with your bitcoins.
Well, I agree with you at some point, there are some tasks that are always with us and for some people, bitcoin and their wallet can be included too. Bitcoin needs some changes and one of them really is what you stated, I think that wasn't considered at the moment because who knew if bitcoin would become so famous.
There are two chances what will happen in future:
1. Your coins will be lost, supply will decrease and price will increase to protect demand/supply rule.
2. It will be changed and every unmoved coin will get dead but this will happen for example once in every 100 year or years that bitcoin needs to be fully mined, imagine bitcoin needs 100 year for mining, then every unmoved coin will get dead in every 100 year and they will be mined again.
kidoseagle0312

Activity: 1092
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2019, 11:56:16 PM

So far, I'm the only person knows what I'm dong in crypto starting from how I earn here, and how to convert it into cash/fiat. Because its hard to entrust all the coins that I have in my wallet. But of course, as much as possible my options to tell all these is to my fiancee, I am planning this to tell her at the right time.
acmakc12

Activity: 504
Merit: 19

View Profile
July 05, 2019, 12:12:03 AM

At the moment, I think that no one will be able to take care of my funds after my death, but your post has pushed me to the idea of addressing this issue. Because it is really important for the future of relatives..
xamxam

Activity: 409
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 15, 2019, 11:44:01 PM

Since I don't have a wife yet, I have no idea to whom am gonna tell the secret of what I'm doing with my crypto.
Perhaps, if I have a serious girlfriend I will tell her all the knowledge to full out all my crypto to convert into fiat currency.
So that, anyhow there is someone who benefit of my crypto assets anyway.
elisabetheva

Activity: 1708
Merit: 105

View Profile
July 19, 2019, 02:51:15 PM

OP if you are not trusting anyone other than you,then don't care about your funds after death because it will be safe forever and not accesible by anyone.
Right what you have said about it, but usually
Obviously everything we do is certainly known by at least our closest friends or family, so obviously they will find out if things will happen to us.
EndCiv

Activity: 107
Merit: 59

FUCK THE CONSPIRACY

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2019, 05:12:47 PM

Lots of people I have known since I got into crypto, have died.
NONE of them prepaired for it. Their keys and logins were lost.
Their money still sits on an exchange.. where it will be forever lost.

If you value the space. Print paper wallets and secure them.
Keep only what you can loose/trade on an exchange.
Have others in the family who'll know how to deal with it.

If most your crypto is on the exchange, you're doing it wrong.

samputin

Activity: 1036
Merit: 294

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 08:43:56 AM

Personally, right now, it would be my siblings. I usually tell them about cryptocurrency especially bitcoin. And what's made me sure of it that they'd be my "heir" is that, they're showing interest on it. Whenever they see me post things here in bitcointalk, they ask me things which, fortunately, I can answer. And if I lack the knowledge, I just advise them to consult Mr. Google.

Right now,  they already know my username and password here in this forum. And they know the passcode in my wallet. Lucky for me, I have good brothers who know their limits and not mess with my things unless they're told to do so. Grin
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3196

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 10:05:51 PM

Their money still sits on an exchange.. where it will be forever lost.

If you die with your money on an exchange, then it is not lost forever because it is held by the exchange, who at some point will hand it over to the heirs, hand it over to the state, or just take it.
Aero Blue

Activity: 154
Merit: 128

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 10:09:21 PM

Reminds me of that story about the owner of a crypto exchange who had a sudden heart attack. Unfortunately, the circumstances being so unexpected, he had never had a backup plan for his death. I don't think they were every able to access the hundreds of millions of dollars locked behind his password protected account. But that's the risk that comes with complete sovereignty, you have COMPLETE control. That's obviously dependent on you being alive, if no one knows how to access your account. Most people I find that have a lot of money in Bitcoin are somewhat paranoid to begin with, decreasing the chances of someone else knowing their keys.
ccryptopark

Activity: 300
Merit: 5

View Profile
July 30, 2019, 11:00:33 PM

I would hope someone leaves their private key inside their will. Otherwise the funds will be stagnant and hodled
babysweetTiger0401

Activity: 777
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 31, 2019, 05:12:31 AM

Funny, strange but yet so real, right?

So if one dies, all the money will get stacked on blockchain and exchanges?

I have about 90% of my funds in crypto and was just wondering over the above?

If they don't kill you probably because they are good siblings...once they know you have much, demand will go high lol

Many will say why not write a will, why not tell a friend etc.. 

But one needs to do this,  I know we all might have our opinions,  let's share and see if we can come to a uniform and decentralized solution....

Right now, no one knows of my family for what I'm doing it now. Its hard to explain to them neither to the person to whom I trust about this matter actually. Though, I have a girlfriend so far but I still had a doubt to tell her all the coins I hold and store it into my wallet erc20 which is MEW and even for Bitcoin wallet such as Electrum maybe later.
Indymoney

Activity: 896
Merit: 236

View Profile
August 01, 2019, 07:16:20 PM

Currently no one in my family who can understand this all but now I am trying to teach my kids about this technology even they are not interested because of age factor and some community activities but now I am trying my hard for this because if they are not able to understand this all then surely this all is going to be waste.
iamsheikhadil

Activity: 1022
Merit: 133

View Profile
August 21, 2019, 06:19:00 PM

It should be treated as traditional funds. And family members should be believed and trusted. If you think your wife will cheat on you and have fun with her boyfriend with your crypto, I'm sorry to say, you don't have a successful marriage. If I can build a good enough portfolio in future, I'll donate a significant amount to charities and leave a good amount for my offspring (and parents). I'll teach my future kids about technology and other stuffs so they would know how to cash it out lol.
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
August 21, 2019, 09:01:59 PM

I'm amazed that nobody has quoted the following in this thread till now:

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more.  Think of it as a donation to everyone.

After my death, I lose my coins completely as I don't like to share my private key with anyone other than myself. So consider it as a donation to y'all! Grin
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3196

View Profile
August 21, 2019, 10:01:53 PM

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more.  Think of it as a donation to everyone.
After my death, I lose my coins completely as I don't like to share my private key with anyone other than myself. So consider it as a donation to y'all! Grin

Thank you, but I'm surprised that you are more generous to me than to the people close to you.
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
August 21, 2019, 10:29:10 PM

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more.  Think of it as a donation to everyone.

Thank you, but I'm surprised that you are more generous to me than to the people close to you.

LOL, well said. Maybe I should give my decision a second thought and tell the very closest ones in my family about the bitcoin and how the ones that I hold may be accessed.
NavI_027

Activity: 1232
Merit: 186

View Profile
August 29, 2019, 03:44:29 AM

She only might but chances for her to do it is very small because she loves you foe sure and will not do such crazy thing to harm you. Well, unless you're aware that you married a psychopath gold digger Grin.

Don't be so self-centered mate, your family is your last resort when you die. You can entrust all of your btc savings to them before you die but make sure you teach them first about this technology or at least find someone who is really willing to learn. You know what, you are lucky if you have a family because people who don't have are absolutely dying for it. Actually, if I die right now I would love to give all of my btc to my family but since my mother deceased already, my father got a new family and my siblings are too young for this matter then probably I let my girlfriend handle it for the meantime.
LOL, well said. Maybe I should give my decision a second thought and tell the very closest ones in my family about the bitcoin and how the ones that I hold may be accessed.
Wise choice, don't worry too much because everyone is interested when it comes to money lol.
carter34

Activity: 1302
Merit: 25

View Profile
September 01, 2019, 07:18:49 PM

Yes, this a soul searching question because death is inevitable. I think the people close to you should know about it. Someone you trust, a wife or siblings.

Nobody.I want all my crypto funds to be donated for charity purposes after I die.
I will have to talk with a lawyer about this.

Please, do that quick with a lawyer, you never can tell. Procrastination is a killer of desire  Grin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: