Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 01:36:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BEWARE of links that are NOT what they APPEAR to be  (Read 177 times)
jimboscott (OP)

Activity: 253
Merit: 110

View Profile
June 05, 2019, 11:43:40 PM
Merited by DdmrDdmr (2), pooya87 (1)

I just found about  half dozen new ANN threads for projects that are NOT new, but which are being posted to try to deceive you into downloading and running something OTHER than the wallet that is being offered.

Watch your links VERY closely.  In fact, I would go so far as to say do NOT download ANYTHING from these ANN threads at all.  Find the legitimate website for the project or the legitimate Discord channel and get your downloads from more trustworthy sources.

Three of the scam posts that I just saw led to a download for a wallet for Fydcoin - whatever that is.

Why would a Ravencoin thread link to a fydcoin wallet? 

I would stay away from this shit big time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DdmrDdmr
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 10758

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2019, 08:32:56 AM
Merited by pooya87 (1)

There have been multiple reported cases over the last month, as can be seen on the following thread for example: Please disable Fake ANNs download links , theymos !.

Basically, scammers are cloning Ann threads, preserving the content of the original OP, but changing the links to their wallet download on (usually) GitHub. The account that do this are of multiple nature: New accounts, ranked accounts that were dormant and have recently woken-up, and hacked accounts with a certain rank (not necessarily higher than Member).

Some of these hacked accounts were silently hacked, meaning by this that they managed to gain control of the account without actually taking over it (no change of password nor email). They then posted the fake Anns on from these accounts and left the legitimate owner to face the problem once someone reported the fake Ann posted from his account.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: