Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:38:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Youtube starts campaign of mass censorship and demonetization  (Read 934 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 08, 2019, 01:34:08 AM

I knew some of the guys who started Youtube.  Former co-workers of mine and decent folks.  They were legitimately proud of their accomplishments in creating the platform, and of the technical feats given that CPU and bandwidth dynamics were much different back then than they are today.

I hope they're not losing sleep at night seeing what's happening. Would be nice if people like those can band together and make an alternative. If some of the founders of these new platform are some of the original guys that developed Youtube, Google might have a hard time discrediting them since they can bad mouth Google, just like what Zuck's co-founder did recently.

I doubt that they are.  People mostly move on and forget about stuff I think.  Probably many/most tech people in their hearts distrust and dislike the tech whales, and when your project and works are swallowed up you kind of expect the worst.  Eventually.  Plus, you always get your pay-out.  Back when Youtube was gobbled I imagine that a lot of them did see it as a growth path (which may have been unworkable without Google's strength due to network issues) and it was also the case that Google was kind of a different company back then I believe.  The 'don't be evil' thing probably really was the predominant attitude.  At least on the worker-bee level.  I doubt that very many people at all can bring themselves to even pretend on that one any more.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 08, 2019, 05:14:31 AM

I'm not convinced "demonetization" is a problem.

The vacuum that's created when Youtube cuts off peoples' income stream creates a huge business opportunity for other startups.

The censorship will likely backfire.

This is going to head to a Supreme Court decision on what these companies are and what they can do. Are they private companies, that can do anything they want?

I don't think it's going to turn out that way, any more than a black man can be kicked out of a store because it's a "private business."

TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2019, 05:45:54 AM

The vacuum that's created when Youtube cuts off peoples' income stream creates a huge business opportunity for other startups.

This is going to head to a Supreme Court decision on what these companies are and what they can do. Are they private companies, that can do anything they want?

I don't think it's going to turn out that way, any more than a black man can be kicked out of a store because it's a "private business."

You might have a point if it was not totally arbitrary how they enforce it. They are demonetizing totally innocuous videos and channels, meanwhile videos with actual calls to violence are still A-OK. This is opening them up to massive lawsuits among other things.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2019, 06:55:30 AM

Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 01:03:11 PM
Last edit: June 09, 2019, 01:57:47 PM by Spendulus

You might have a point if it was not totally arbitrary how they enforce it. They are demonetizing totally innocuous videos and channels, meanwhile videos with actual calls to violence are still A-OK. This is opening them up to massive lawsuits among other things.

Arbitrary always follows censor.

Obviously the world is not better off if a group of people in San Francisco and San Jose determine what they can see on Youtube.

I wonder if a user / group consensus on such decisions is possible. It works with Wikipedia.
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1102

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 03:22:16 PM

Youtube is known for its censorship and shady tactics. I remember when a local guy who openly criticized politics said that YT is unsubscribing people from his channel and people who were subbed were writing him messages that suddenly yt unsubbed them and they had to press the button again. Demonetization is just another move towards silencing youtubers. It used to be that a video had to be original to be monetized and the subjects was unimportant. You could talk about a pimple on your butt and get it monetized. Now you have to be politically correct.

Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 04:42:58 PM

They can do anything they want, within the confines of the law.

The more important questions are, 1 in light of their recent activity, are they a "platform" hosting content published by others, or a "publisher", and 2, is their (recent) activity anti-competitive to the extent they are violating anti-trust laws.

There are many mainstream media outlets, such as bloomberg and forbes that hire independent contractors to write articles on their websites, and despite this relationship, the outlets remain to be publishers. This is true even if the editors do not direct the writers to write about certain topics.
angel55

Activity: 630
Merit: 172

View Profile
June 09, 2019, 04:57:43 PM

Youtube is my the website I spend the most time on,  I wish there was a viable alternative but there really isn't.  Others have mentioned dtube but it heavily fails when put up against Youtube.  Some of my favorite creators already got demonetized by Youtube for speaking out against mainstream beliefs.  Anything they don't agree with is "hate speech" which is ridiculous. 
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2019, 05:01:17 PM
Last edit: June 10, 2019, 03:47:35 AM by TECSHARE

Youtube is my the website I spend the most time on,  I wish there was a viable alternative but there really isn't.  Others have mentioned dtube but it heavily fails when put up against Youtube.  Some of my favorite creators already got demonetized by Youtube for speaking out against mainstream beliefs.  Anything they don't agree with is "hate speech" which is ridiculous.  

Bitchute isn't horrible, but not quite the level of usability you would want quite yet.

Related Article: "The Trust Project: Big Media and Silicon Valley’s Weaponized Algorithms Silence Dissent"

https://www.mintpressnews.com/the-trust-project-big-media-and-silicon-valleys-weaponized-algorithms-silence-dissent/259030/
iamsheikhadil

Activity: 1022
Merit: 133

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 05:09:26 AM

That was what we all predicted.

Although, to be fair, we can't even trust independent creators and political commentators either blindly just like mainstream media. The reasoning is they are often also biased according to their personal preference or even monetary gains from any particular party.

However, whatever maybe the reason, we need to have independent journalism free from establishment funding and only direct funding from the people. Sadly, to raise a huge monetary benefit, the independent creators cater to a certain particular section and becomes biased, but it is much much better than mainstream medias with agendas because mainstream media has a more outreach and can convince their agendas as facts.

I would love to see a decentralized platform but still that would make it terribly difficult for real and authentic to compete with spams and fake news in a similar manner. The best alternative will be to enable direct public monetization for these independent creators so it stays free from all establishment influences Smiley
Naida_BR

Activity: 980
Merit: 62

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 06:07:43 PM

I am sure a lot of you have heard about this, but since the legacy media can't compete with the alternative media, they have opted to attack their ability to not only present their views, but earn a living from doing so. People are so hungry for truth and so tired of the old dried out turd that is the MSM, they literally can not compete with a guy in his garage on his web cam. This is only going to get worse, not just in the digital sphere, but in meat space.

They started with the fringes, now they are moving into quite main stream commentators. They are crafting a Communist style system of political correctness, and anyone who doesn't comply will be unpersoned and cut off from using the banking system, from transportation, from internet platforms, and even the ability to earn a living. Prepare yourselves, because when you make peaceful revolution impossible, you make violent revolution inevitable.

This is an outcome of the recent Law that passed from the European Parliament about the copyrights.
Prolly youtube is trying to establish a new policy that it will affect all the Youtube community and not only the European one.
PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
June 10, 2019, 07:20:43 PM

I am sure a lot of you have heard about this, but since the legacy media can't compete with the alternative media, they have opted to attack their ability to not only present their views, but earn a living from doing so. People are so hungry for truth and so tired of the old dried out turd that is the MSM, they literally can not compete with a guy in his garage on his web cam. This is only going to get worse, not just in the digital sphere, but in meat space.

They started with the fringes, now they are moving into quite main stream commentators. They are crafting a Communist style system of political correctness, and anyone who doesn't comply will be unpersoned and cut off from using the banking system, from transportation, from internet platforms, and even the ability to earn a living. Prepare yourselves, because when you make peaceful revolution impossible, you make violent revolution inevitable.

This is an outcome of the recent Law that passed from the European Parliament about the copyrights.
Prolly youtube is trying to establish a new policy that it will affect all the Youtube community and not only the European one.
The censorship has nothing to do with copyright nor any Europe law. It is primarily affecting right wing vloggers. It is a way to move the opinion of the population to the left.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2019, 12:16:23 AM

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-10/facebook-has-banned-word-honk-violating-their-community-standards

If you can't see this is all about maintaining a propaganda narrative, you aren't paying attention.
TheCoinGrabber

Activity: 994
Merit: 302

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 01:15:22 AM

I knew some of the guys who started Youtube.  Former co-workers of mine and decent folks.  They were legitimately proud of their accomplishments in creating the platform, and of the technical feats given that CPU and bandwidth dynamics were much different back then than they are today.

I hope they're not losing sleep at night seeing what's happening. Would be nice if people like those can band together and make an alternative. If some of the founders of these new platform are some of the original guys that developed Youtube, Google might have a hard time discrediting them since they can bad mouth Google, just like what Zuck's co-founder did recently.

I doubt that they are.  People mostly move on and forget about stuff I think.  Probably many/most tech people in their hearts distrust and dislike the tech whales, and when your project and works are swallowed up you kind of expect the worst.  Eventually.  Plus, you always get your pay-out.  Back when Youtube was gobbled I imagine that a lot of them did see it as a growth path (which may have been unworkable without Google's strength due to network issues) and it was also the case that Google was kind of a different company back then I believe.  The 'don't be evil' thing probably really was the predominant attitude.  At least on the worker-bee level.  I doubt that very many people at all can bring themselves to even pretend on that one any more.

Haha, they literally got rid of that motto that some call them "Do Evil" now.  Grin

Still, wishing those devs would eventually get involved in a competing project. I see many Youtubers mentioning Bitchute right now. That's nice but I think we need more than one alternative.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-10/facebook-has-banned-word-honk-violating-their-community-standards

If you can't see this is all about maintaining a propaganda narrative, you aren't paying attention.

"If you think this will have a happy ending, you were not paying attention"

Hoping this will bite them back in the ass big time.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 01:59:57 AM

Haha, they literally got rid of that motto that some call them "Do Evil" now.  Grin

Still, wishing those devs would eventually get involved in a competing project. I see many Youtubers mentioning Bitchute right now. That's nice but I think we need more than one alternative.

I would say two things on this:

1)  Normally when a start-up is acquired those who take their pay-out are legally obligated to stay our of the field and not compete for a period of time.

2)  Technology is such that it can be the case that at an architect level, _having_ domain experience can be a negative.  The 'old dog, new tricks' phenomenon.  There can be better ways of doing things which don't really occur to people who are used to doing things in a particular way.

That said, I'm pretty sure that had I been an early Youtube employee, I would be so pissed off at Google's perversion of the platform that I would do anything I could the help out the competition.  Probably for free if I didn't need the money.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 1367

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 02:25:32 AM

It isn't only Youtube. It's a whole bunch of them.

They have their reasons because of the big people who run them and bribe them. But the some of the stuff they have banned isn't believed by much of the general public, anyway.

There are companies, groups and individuals all over the place who are starting small companies like Youtube and Facebook... companies that will accept what is banned by Youtube. All you have to do is look for them. But most of them aren't very popular, yet.

Facebook bans Natural News; Health Ranger responds with message for humanity

In response to a coordinated, heavily-funded smear campaign against Natural News and myself, the Health Ranger, Facebook has now permanently banned Natural News from posting content. The channel name that has been banned is Facebook.com/healthranger, which was our primary channel reaching over 2.5 million people.

This is on top of the permanent bans of Natural News content from Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Google News, Apple and other techno-fascists that now represent the greatest threat to human freedom the world has ever seen.

The techno-fascists, including Wikipedia, have decided that no speech that questions any official narrative will be allowed on any platform. Anyone who questions the safety of toxic vaccines, 5G cell towers, geoengineering, chemotherapy or glyphosate weed killer chemicals is now maliciously attacked, smeared and de-platformed. You're not even allowed now to talk about nutrition, anti-cancer foods or nutritional supplements without being labeled a "vitamin" website accused of pushing fake cures. (That's right: The left-wing authoritarian tyrants are now anti-nutrition on top of everything else.)

Every website or individual who expresses any view of dissent against the corrupt scientific establishment is immediately labeled "fake news," even as the left-wing media routinely pushed total fabrications about President Trump and anyone who supports Trump.

As I have repeatedly pointed out, the tech giants and their CEOs are truly enemies of humanity.

Remember: As all this censorship is taking place, the tech giants somehow claim they aren't censoring anyone at all. They claim to have a monopoly on "facts" or "truth" and proclaim themselves to have the King's unique right to decide who gets to speak and who must be silenced. These criminals like Zuckerberg, Dorsey and Cook are un-elected, subject to zero transparency and offer no mechanism for due process whereby channels who are banned might defend themselves against unfair, dishonest smears or fake news attacks run by left-wing journo-terrorism hacks.

Some of the big guys like Zuckerberg and Bezos are quite popular with some people. Badmouthing them might be the right thing to do, but it won't always gain you any popularity.

Cool

BUDESONIDE essentially cures Covid symptoms in one day to one week >>> https://budesonideworks.com/.
Hydroxychloroquine is being used against Covid with great success >>> https://altcensored.com/watch?v=otRN0X6F81c.
Masks are stupid. Watch the first 5 minutes >>> https://www.bitchute.com/video/rlWESmrijl8Q/.
Don't be afraid to donate Bitcoin. Thank you. >>> 1JDJotyxZLFF8akGCxHeqMkD4YrrTmEAwz
mOgliE
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 08:23:21 AM

And since there's a lag between slow government operations and corrections and the speed at which GoogleYoutube can make changes, they are starting now on their plan to influence the 2020 elections.

They will go all out to attempt to get their candidate to win, figuring that they can't be stopped in the time frame in which the election happens.

Assuming they succeed, they'll put into effect the plan they intended for 2016.

That's what we got.

Which is why capitalism is just dictatorship with more steps.

It's crazy how you all condemn the death of free speech and how it's just communism once again and it's just propaganda...

Well.. Yeah... That's what you get when a firm holds a complete monopole on something... And that's what happens when there is no regulation from the people. The best company slowly eats all the other ones and once they have the monopole they do whatever the fuck they want...

Capitalism anyone? That rings a bell? xD

Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 11:18:08 AM

This will definitely make it to the "outside" world eventually and the leftists are going to have a rude awakening to reality. They have milkshakes, their opponents have guns. Even the most braindead knows how that would end.
Naida_BR

Activity: 980
Merit: 62

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 05:05:26 PM

The censorship has nothing to do with copyright nor any Europe law. It is primarily affecting right wing vloggers. It is a way to move the opinion of the population to the left.

And who told you that the EU has not this as a goal?
Right wing stances are growing in the EU and this is a huge headache for European Leaders.
TECSHARE (OP)
In memoriam
Legendary

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2019, 05:15:05 PM

And who told you that the EU has not this as a goal?
Right wing stances are growing in the EU and this is a huge headache for European Leaders.

You are both kind of right. EU laws are definitely influencing the situation, and they are using things like copyright as a pretext to achieve this goal of censorship.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: