Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:52:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Another S9 not working  (Read 435 times)
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 6359

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 12:49:35 PM

but under 90°C is still safe i guess, don't let them touch that temp.

This topic has been debated before , a dozen times, some say anything above 90 is bad, other say since Bitmain has 115 as the max chip temp so anything below that is fine, and the two different groups have some reasonable explanations on why their point is right

Now science and school aside, speaking from my own personal experience,  I think temps don't really affect the lifespan of the hash board !

believe it or not, I had some brand new gears run very very very cool and simply burn, I have a small farm built on the roof of my house, where the sun is frying them everyday and they operate above 90 almost most of the time, and some of those are super old gears and guess what? 0 problems !

I know the school boys will argue with that and explain to you how does heat reduce the lifespan of anything electronic , not saying they are wrong ( I do believe that is true ), but these boards are 99% luck based, doesn't matter how nicely you treat them  Roll Eyes

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mark421421 (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 03:14:08 PM

Thanks very much for your help!!

There has been an issue today this is what its showing now

https://imgur.com/CVgEYdS

https://imgur.com/yY0RyIo

What else can I try? Its 28 deg in the room there in and it gets to about 33max in summer
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2019, 06:28:32 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2019, 11:52:04 PM by frodocooper

Well as i said if you get too many errors you have to either lower the speed or bump the voltage. And remember the middle board tends to overheat more due to a Bitmain miss design (intake fan too close to the board).

I say your ambient temperatures are fine, they are supposed to work up to 40°C ambient, as long as you keep that air moving, 200cfm per s9 as some have suggested (fresh air separate from exhaust air). Humidity should be above 20% but under 70% (they say up to 90% is ok, but things like the fan grills get rust).

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 6359

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
July 09, 2019, 10:48:13 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2019, 11:53:19 PM by frodocooper

Ok let's break this down

The first and second board are running pretty fine, very a few HW and the temps on the first are fine, and they should be fine on the middle board, maybe a bit warmer but that is still fine, I would not touch the first and second boards.

The 3rd board however has way to many errors, so now it's you call, you have one of two options as Artemis3 mentioned but let me explain a bit more

option 1: increase voltage

pros : you don't lose hash rate
cons :the board will run a hotter

option 2:decrease frequency

pros: board runs cooler
cons: you lose some hash power

do whatever you feel more comfortable with, you need to have a few HW per hour for the hash rate to actually count on the pool side.

after having fixed that, keep the miner on for a couple hours and then check the pool, if the hash rate on your miner is the similar to the one on the pool, you are good, if not then you have some internet/networking issue, pool is too far, latency ,etc.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mark421421 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 12:14:30 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2019, 11:54:43 PM by frodocooper

I got this when I came on this morning.

https://imgur.com/qL1ZJ2N

I have about 30miners running in that room and don't have any issues with others.

Im not worried about damaging this one. but if I have to run it on the Bitmain software with the one of the boards disconnected its not the end of the world.

I have dropped the frequency to 550 and left the voltage at 9.4

I am wanting to install the rest of the s9s and T1's to Braiins but worried I'm going to have issues with them getting hot and turning off.

https://imgur.com/85rCnWJ

Just another update...

Its not working think I will just go back to the Bitmain software.
Unless you have any other ideas?

So I took the memory card out of the miner and moved jumper 4 back.

Now I can't find the miner with the IP address.

I also tried the Braiins firmware on a healthy miner. It got to hot and cut out within minutes. I took the sd card out of that miner and moved the jumper back and cant find that one either!

Please help!
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2019, 02:41:38 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2019, 10:18:29 PM by Artemis3

9.4v is too much, if you have to go over 9v, its better to reduce speed in my opinion.

And yes, assume that board is failing, don't expect it to work at spec speed anymore, if it works fine at 500mhz, so be it.

When you install BrainsOS, go and lower those voltages. Yes it loves 9.4v, but don't. I know someone that starts at 8.7v always. Hundreds and hundreds of S9s...

If you went back to factory firmware, it probably changed its ip, you'll have to find it again. Depending on how you made your bOS image, there is a small chance you cloned up the mac address. Plug the miner controller directly to a computer and scan its ip, log in and inspect the hw mac address and compare it with the second one, just in case.

There is nothing factory software can do that you can't replicate manually with bOS. If anything, the factory firmware is going to limit you more. Also bOS is over protective by default, since it reboots if over 95°C while factory might leave it running until 115°C or such. bOS is giving you a second chance to fix your overheating, while factory will happily burn it. More sales right? Smiley

Also as told elsewhere, the sensors tend to fail. That's when you appreciate bOS the more, with factory you would think the hash board is useless, but still works using bOS...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
mark421421 (OP)

View Profile
July 10, 2019, 03:12:50 PM

Thanks again.

Ive left them now but will play again tomorrow.

They are still running on slush so all good.

Is there away of changing the max temp on BOS? Checked my other S9 and they tend to run at mid 90s
Artemis3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2019, 04:42:47 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2019, 11:56:05 PM by frodocooper

Yes, in addition to target temperature exposed in the ui there are two hidden parameters you can change: Hot, which is when fans go 100%, and dangerous which is the one that makes it stop mining/restart.

Here is a sample in the bOS thread.

Remember, it is your personal choice and responsibility, and you can damage your equipment if you mis-configure these parameters. You should find ways to improve the airflow in your place. It is also possible to disable sensors, or ignore just the chip sensors (there are two types of sensors, on chip (remote), and on-board). With: disable-sensors and disable-remote-sensors.

bOS is the most flexible firmware because it doesn't do any hand holding for you, but you alone assume the risks of your mistakes.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print