Bitcoin Forum
July 04, 2024, 09:00:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is using 51% hashing power stronger than using 51% of the people?  (Read 745 times)
TimeBits (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 62

View Profile
June 13, 2019, 02:25:02 PM

It's a rich gets richer scheme.
But again using people would be a difficult task for some decentralized coin. What would you count as a user? A device?
Poor ones would have one device while rich one could get millions. Or you could just ask for KYC from every users and airdrop their wallet with same amount of tokens every month.
Rich could just farm poor peoples device for some quick money or enslave them.

No, a person. That person attached to a address attached to kyc attached to your eye and fingerprint.
Yes, or they can even submit it themselves on a blockchain with filesharing if they have a computer, phone or laptop. They can go to a public lib.
TimeBits (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2019, 05:30:05 PM
Last edit: June 13, 2019, 05:59:43 PM by TimeBits

True Democracy = Liberty = Freedom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fArgCaFb1c Bobby Kennedy's Speech for Humanity

Did I mention it creates 8.8 billion jobs+ (everyone votes and gets paid to vote on issues, rather than voting people to vote for them and they line their own pockets and become corrupt)
Want another 8.8billion jobs? everyone is part of the police force
Want another 8.8billion jobs? everyone is part of the fire fighting force
Want another 8.8billon jobs? everyone is part of the military (team earth)
Want another 8.8billion jobs? everyone is a medic
Want another 8.8billion jobs? everyone is on court duty a judge
Want another 8.8billion jobs? space exploration
Want another 8.8billion jobs? making homes for everyone, food, water and back up shelters!
all of these jobs are endless

Keep in mind all those jobs are optional even voting, we want willing people, so your grandpa is not getting punched in the head by a cop or nurse when he is 90 in the shelter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8HdOHrc3OQ

Everyone creates the supply www.bitswift.cash

What is the most freedom you can give someone? the right to vote on issues in their nation, the right to have their voice heard. The right to say where their tax dollars go. The right to earn a honest money supply, One created by the people for the people.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 2148

View Profile
June 13, 2019, 08:33:35 PM

Even if we imagined that the problem of verifying identity has been successfully and fully solved, I would still argue that using amount of people to determine consensus, aka direct democracy, is still a bad idea. People should be equal in rights, but they are not equal in many other qualities, and majority of people can easily be wrong, and it happened many times in history when people elected shitty leaders. Bitcoin's PoW consensus puts something at stake, which ensures that even those who wield 51% wouldn't cheat if they behave rationally, but in democracy this risk is not personal, everyone puts all other people at stake, which turns out to be a worse deterrent than individual responsibility.
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
June 13, 2019, 10:41:49 PM

Even if we imagined that the problem of verifying identity has been successfully and fully solved, I would still argue that using amount of people to determine consensus, aka direct democracy, is still a bad idea. People should be equal in rights, but they are not equal in many other qualities, and majority of people can easily be wrong, and it happened many times in history when people elected shitty leaders. Bitcoin's PoW consensus puts something at stake, which ensures that even those who wield 51% wouldn't cheat if they behave rationally, but in democracy this risk is not personal, everyone puts all other people at stake, which turns out to be a worse deterrent than individual responsibility.

It seems like a poor analogy from the OP. A 51% attack is an attack. It's not a mechanism for governance. It's a possible attack vector that is a byproduct of Bitcoin's security model.

Bitcoin was purposefully designed to thwart any sort of majority governance. If you want to opt into the network, you first need to agree to the existing consensus rules.

We verify using fingerprints, id, iris scan, (another 30 different ways) using file sharing.

Why would you want to upload your biometric and KYC data onto the internet? Aren't you concerned about the risks of identity theft? The cost vs. benefit doesn't seem worth it.

They are already on the internet, The benefits heavily out weigh the cons. The only people concerned are criminals.

the cost: giving up some personal information that is already given up to the hospital at birth.

Ah, so that's your position. "Privacy is only desired by criminals." We'll have to agree to disagree. Smiley

And no, my biometric data is not already on the internet. I intend to keep it that way. You seem to be confused about the information recorded at birth.

TimeBits (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 07:59:25 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2019, 08:09:57 AM by TimeBits

It seems like a poor analogy from the OP. A 51% attack is an attack. It's not a mechanism for governance. It's a possible attack vector that is a byproduct of Bitcoin's security model.

Bitcoin was purposefully designed to thwart any sort of majority governance. If you want to opt into the network, you first need to agree to the existing consensus rules.

We verify using fingerprints, id, iris scan, (another 30 different ways) using file sharing.

Why would you want to upload your biometric and KYC data onto the internet? Aren't you concerned about the risks of identity theft? The cost vs. benefit doesn't seem worth it.

They are already on the internet, The benefits heavily out weigh the cons. The only people concerned are criminals.

the cost: giving up some personal information that is already given up to the hospital at birth.

Ah, so that's your position. "Privacy is only desired by criminals." We'll have to agree to disagree. Smiley

And no, my biometric data is not already on the internet. I intend to keep it that way. You seem to be confused about the information recorded at birth.

I am sorry squatter but if you ever went out in public, went to a mcdonalds or just walked down a city street, your eyes and face are given up, unless you were wearing a full burka. Your fingerprints are given up if you touched anything. Your shit and piss are (I am sure you have shit and pissed in public). Your spit is if you left a drink in a public garbage (through a smoke on the ground?). It is all public data. To get a drivers licenses you give up your iris and face or passport. When you are born they take your feet print. They have your blood if you ever did blood work. They have your cum if you ever donated sperm.

I am pretty sure there is satellites that can track your every step from like 10 years ago.

It is coming buddy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JUqoyZU1Ik&feature=youtu.be
 #twitter integration to link a centralized identity to a blockchain account

Wait it will get better Wink
TimeBits (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 09:42:58 AM

We have 100 people in a gym.

Sally has 51% of the hashing power and wants to play basketball (shes a rich bitch) this girl on my left

The other 99 people have 49% of the hashing power and want to play soccer

GG WP, great because of 1 fuck we are stuck playing basketball.

THANKS SALLY!
Bitcoin isn't a voting system. Having 51% of the hashrate does not mean that you get to dictate what happens on the blockchain or in Bitcoin.

If I have 51% of the hashrate, I cannot disrupt the network?

The attackers would be able to prevent new transactions from gaining confirmations, allowing them to halt payments between some or all users. They would also be able to reverse transactions that were completed while they were in control of the network, meaning they could double-spend coins.

Now before you make the argument of let`s say, they would lose money, what if they don`t care about money losses or bitcoin? Let us say they are a rival to bitcoin.
ChinaBitcoinB

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2019, 11:25:17 AM

You right, 51% (users using the network) people power better than 51% computer power. That way majority wins not the rich.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: