Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:20:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Received more cryptocurrencies than I should  (Read 448 times)
Convery (OP)

Activity: 966
Merit: 254

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 10:39:53 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

Hello, I received cryptocurrencies that do not belongs me.

First of all, I send a transaction to an exchange wallet, but it didn´t come, than I wrote on support and it takes around 10 days to solve it. But I received 10 times more than the original amount was. Since I passed KYC on this exchange I do not have many options what can I do, only report that case and return money.? But could I claim some % for kind behavior, or not? What should I do? If I do not report it, it is a criminal activity?

Just asking, I really do not know what is the best thing what I can do now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Convery (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 02:52:26 PM

And something like bug bounty can´t be claimed in this situation?

The transaction refers to a transaction on the blockchain but with diffrent numbers, still thinking how it is possible.
tomahawk9

Activity: 2086
Merit: 994

Cats on Mars

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 04:54:22 PM
Merited by dbshck (4), akamit (1)

Sounds like you're caught in a moral dilemma...If I were you, I'd return the money, not because the exchange has my KYC and IP so, they could easily find me if i didn't return the funds, but because I believe in karma, plus if you want money, you gotta earn it.

And something like bug bounty can´t be claimed in this situation?
Is the exchange offering a bug bounty? If not, then no, you can't claim anything since you didn't find a bug in their system that can be exploited.

The transaction refers to a transaction on the blockchain but with diffrent numbers, still thinking how it is possible.
It was probably a human error, just report it and they'll probably give you a 'thank you note' and you'll feel good for the rest of the day for doing what was right.

Btw, good read: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/09/bank-account-250000-error
TimeBits

Activity: 224
Merit: 62

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 07:06:29 PM

Hello, I received cryptocurrencies that do not belongs me.

First of all, I send a transaction to an exchange wallet, but it didn´t come, than I wrote on support and it takes around 10 days to solve it. But I received 10 times more than the original amount was. Since I passed KYC on this exchange I do not have many options what can I do, only report that case and return money.? But could I claim some % for kind behavior, or not? What should I do? If I do not report it, it is a criminal activity?

Tell the exchange you got money that is not yours. btw what exchange is this?
electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1049

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2019, 07:18:07 PM

the right thing to do is to tell them about it and send the coins back to them. or you could play dumb. i doubt the blockchain will tell a lie they will eventually see what happen anytime soon.

but would you like to play with it? I will if it happens to my account, its kind of a dummy account that you get to have a capital to trade. very tempting because there is nothing to lose Smiley
asder250

Activity: 708
Merit: 103

Empowering crypto w/ sustainable energy

View Profile
June 11, 2019, 08:03:33 PM

And what about to keep it on the exchange? If you do not nothing, than they will have access to the funds cause you do not have private keys. You didn´t steal anything until they have access to it, right?
amicrypto

Activity: 98
Merit: 49

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 06:18:10 AM

I have committed a similar mistake while making my XLM transfer from wallet to exchange. I entered the Wallet address correctly but the Memo ID was wrong. The last digit was supposed to be 4 but somehow I entered 1. On some basic research I found that for Stellar Network, the exchange has a single wallet address but different Memo ID for different customers. So my XLM fund which is quite substantial is currently lying with someone else using the same exchange. I contacted the exchange and they have assured me that they will "attempt" a manual recovery in 6 weeks. Will update if I get back my funds. But coming to the main story, I think it would be highly unfair to the person who committed that mistake. You are not legally bounded to return the amount but we all have our consciousness to answer to at the end of the day. You never know the situation that person is in or the amount of effort he has put in to earn the money. You can enjoy life with the money you have received but it will never bring you fulfilment the way you would get if you return him the money.

You never know. He might give you something out of gratitude along with his blessings. And that will definitely last longer that the extra money you have received.
Convery (OP)

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 09:10:28 AM
Last edit: June 12, 2019, 09:21:46 AM by Convery

Today, I received a message from the support, that they apologize for the delay and if the sum is correct... I wrote them, that they should check it once again, if the crypto belongs me and I am free to use it.
The answer:

Summarize, they have to check it atleast 3 times. It takes 11 days from the day what I sent to receive it.. I am completely out of energy to handle with the support that is completely incompetent.

playboy654

Activity: 546
Merit: 32

View Profile
June 12, 2019, 02:21:51 PM

Today, I received a message from the support, that they apologize for the delay and if the sum is correct... I wrote them, that they should check it once again, if the crypto belongs me and I am free to use it.
The answer:

Summarize, they have to check it atleast 3 times. It takes 11 days from the day what I sent to receive it.. I am completely out of energy to handle with the support that is completely incompetent.

That is why they gave you compensation of ten times of your money so enjoy it.

If you still feel that its not your money then send it to the exchange back or to charity which might be used for helpful things.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
June 13, 2019, 12:02:07 AM

The answer:

That is why they gave you compensation of ten times of your money so enjoy it.

If you still feel that its not your money then send it to the exchange back or to charity which might be used for helpful things.

Agreed, you did the morally right thing in attempting to return the money. If they decide they don't want it back, you have no further obligation to return it.

incredibly relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzmnUf36wzA&t=0m15s
bagalkot

Activity: 85
Merit: 5

View Profile
June 13, 2019, 06:33:29 AM

The answer:

So now it is clear that they have knowingly gave you this amount of cryptocurrency and you are free to use it, so now i think this topic is closed.
Convery (OP)

View Profile
June 13, 2019, 09:55:51 PM

Thank you guys for your very valuable responds. Maybe I am spamming, but I have to tell someone and get feedback.
I still don't know if I should return the money, it is lot of money, could change my life, but live in the depression that one day they will find out what really happened.  Roll Eyes
I know that they told that everything is okay and I can use these funds, but is this person from the support is really responsible for company´s money?
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 12:27:03 AM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

Thank you guys for your very valuable responds. Maybe I am spamming, but I have to tell someone and get feedback.
I still don't know if I should return the money, it is lot of money, could change my life, but live in the depression that one day they will find out what really happened.  Roll Eyes
I know that they told that everything is okay and I can use these funds, but is this person from the support is really responsible for company´s money?

You can continue to attempt to return it if you'd like, at the end of the day its up to you. If its going to keep you awake at night, you can try harder to return it. Their customer service is an agent for the company, they have authority granted by the company to act on its behalf. If the agent gave you bad advice, the company can fire the customer service rep, but I can't imagine they can get mad at you considering you made a good faith effort to return the money and fix their mistake.

But again, at the end of the day, if its morally bothering you, continue on with your attempt to fix it. Thousands of BTC aren't worth your peace of mind. If its a large sum, consult a lawyer if you are worried about legal repercussions and not moral ones.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3190

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 04:46:11 AM

I still don't know if I should return the money, it is lot of money, could change my life, but live in the depression that one day they will find out what really happened.  Roll Eyes

I would withdraw your money immediately if you can!

The exchange has demonstrated a lack of trustworthiness three times. The first time was when they didn't credit your account. The second time was when they credited your account incorrectly. The third time is when they told you that you can keep the money.

My suspicion is that it is a scam, and they credited your account with too much because they are hoping that you will deposit more.

playboy654

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 06:29:03 AM

My suspicion is that it is a scam, and they credited your account with too much because they are hoping that you will deposit more.

Different point of view but there are possibilities for this as well,so OP try to withdraw all your money from that exchange and let us know what is the situation.

If you can able to withdraw they are legit or they are trying for more scam attempts.
Convery (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 07:15:04 AM

I just tried to withdraw and no problem, almost instantly, 1/3 of the coins are now in my hardware wallet. Can´t withdraw more because there is a daily limit  Grin.
Now they should definetely recognize it, or?
playboy654

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 07:54:03 AM

I just tried to withdraw and no problem, almost instantly, 1/3 of the coins are now in my hardware wallet. Can´t withdraw more because there is a daily limit  Grin.
How much funds remaining on your wallet? Try to withdraw all the funds and yes they recognize the withdrawal as well.
TimeBits

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 10:29:46 AM

I just tried to withdraw and no problem, almost instantly, 1/3 of the coins are now in my hardware wallet. Can´t withdraw more because there is a daily limit  Grin.

You should not withdraw it. You are stealing another users funds, think about that. Would you like that done to you? Inform the exchange, give the funds back if you have any balls. I hope you become the people you stole from if you do keep it. (I know you did not steal it, it was put in your account, but you are stealing it now)
playboy654

View Profile
June 14, 2019, 02:15:56 PM

I just tried to withdraw and no problem, almost instantly, 1/3 of the coins are now in my hardware wallet. Can´t withdraw more because there is a daily limit  Grin.

You should not withdraw it. You are stealing another users funds, think about that. Would you like that done to you? Inform the exchange, give the funds back if you have any balls. I hope you become the people you stole from if you do keep it. (I know you did not steal it, it was put in your account, but you are stealing it now)
Read the thread carefully,exchange knows that they gave more money which is for the incovenience caused to the user.

So its not stealing the money its the extra reward for the extra patience.
TimeBits

View Profile
June 15, 2019, 01:02:35 AM

Read the thread carefully,exchange knows that they gave more money which is for the incovenience caused to the user.

So its not stealing the money its the extra reward for the extra patience.

oh, sorry missed that, yah use the money brother! they fucked up I guess (I never see that)
I wish my exchange poloniex gave me some extra for holding my coins for 6 months, they gave me fuck all.

I would get off that exchange tho in the future, that is a really really bad sign. Any exchange where you cannot hold your own coins. AVOID!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: