Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:20:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Frequency Settings And Kinda Overclock  (Read 295 times)
eotrix (OP)

Activity: 60
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 20, 2019, 05:04:29 PM

With the latest bitmain firmware(Or Braiins OS) we can set frequency(With bitmain fw we can set +0.5 to 2 TH/s) and it works like a charm. Temperature does not go much higher maybe a few degrees. My concern here if that process will harm the chips/Hash boards in long term? Im not gonna use that option too hard, I just want to give +0.5 to 1 TH/s to my each miners and concerned if its bad in long term for hash boards. Thank you

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3234
Merit: 2941

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2019, 10:52:03 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2019, 11:03:35 AM by frodocooper
Merited by mikeywith (1)

It depends on the temp. high temp may damage your hashboard chips and it may die too early if you force them to run in very hot so if you are planning to overclock the miner monitor the temp.

Let me ask if what kind of miner you are trying to overclock? If it's s9s check the temp ranges below.

Temp in celcius

S9 series excl. S9i, S9j, S9-Hydro
Range: 65 - 115
Chip max. 135
PCB max. 90

S9i
PCB max. 85

S9j and S9-Hydro
PCB max. 95

Source: https://support.bitmain.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005088914-Miner-normal-operating-temperature-range

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eotrix (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2019, 11:49:38 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2019, 12:08:12 AM by eotrix

Chip max means the chip temp values shown in interface right? What is PCB and Range means seperately then? Im asking coz I dont know and appreciated if you mind to explain a little sir. Yes they are S9 miners, I forgot to add

Or let me express myself that way. The chips was shown 82-83-84 and now after I added some hashrates from interface, temp is now 86-85-88. Is it bad, should I reverse? Until what point temps show in interface are safe? @BitMaxz

EDIT: They are running at 690-710 frequency with just +3-4 temp in chips. Can you say its safe to run like that?
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 6332

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
June 23, 2019, 07:56:41 AM
Last edit: June 23, 2019, 12:14:42 PM by mikeywith

PCM stands for phase change material i guess ! anyhow it does not really matter, you want to monitor the chip temperature, the s9 "supposedly" can run fine up to 115 degrees, your temps are pretty fine, I run mine at 90 or even low 100s sometimes , as far as the question of wether overclocking will reduce the lifespan of your miner, there is no doubt the answer is a YES , but !

I have seen many gears fail real early while being run on stock settings, or even underclocked, I have also seen gears that have been overcloked and run really really hot and been going on beast mode for years, so all science aside , these gears are a merely luck based.

I have personally overclocked almost all my gears using the latest S9 firmware ,am pretty sure I will have to get rid of these S9s long before they burn, do this at your own risk tho.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eotrix (OP)

View Profile
June 24, 2019, 09:26:12 AM
Last edit: June 26, 2019, 03:19:48 AM by frodocooper

Thank you for your answer sir. In the hottest times of the day here some of them get to 100-102 but like you said its fine then. In the evening they are max 90-95. I also run them with +1 and +1,5 TH/s, not even one at +2 TH/s. Maybe I try that in the future.

UPDATE AND ANOTHER QUESTION

After I overclocked some of my Antminer S9s with bitmain firmware It shows pool Diff 131k while non overclocked ones show 65.5k. Why is that and what does that mean? I overclocked some miners now to see and it shows 131k on these devices too. Does it affect my profitability or just a pool thing?

Its so weird some of the overclocked devices have accepted share less than normal clocked ones. I compared two devices.
Could it be that pool gives hard work to a miner if it has great hash power and less hard work if low? Coz I monitored a miner's power up stage and pool Diff starts with 32k and then when miner stables at 13,5+/- it goes to 65.5k
Overclocked 15.4TH/s - Same operation time - 4028 Accepted
Normla clock 13.7TH/s - Same operation time - 4639 Accepted

Im now like wtf? How is this even possible? That overclocked device shows 65.5k and 131k, changes always..

Another info here, I checked and not overclocked devices has same issue inbetween too. Like if one device reaches 14TH/s and other hash with 13.3TH/s, the lower one has more accepted. I dont know how is that happening?

Bump, Its still the same. 131k Diff on overclocked devices and less accepted shares. Only few of them has Diff 65k but they all change time to time..

EDIT: One hash board's PCB temp reached to 86, should I tune it down?
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2019, 12:58:46 AM

Bump, Its still the same. 131k Diff on overclocked devices and less accepted shares. Only few of them has Diff 65k but they all change time to time..

EDIT: One hash board's PCB temp reached to 86, should I tune it down?

This is normal and automatic on most pools. The faster your miner is, the higher difficulty. That is to ensure a steady amount of work without over-clogging the connection or the pool.

As for temperature, that is your personal choice. 90 is considered the red line. With Braiins OS you can verify your settings by making sure ideal and actual rate match, and that there is no excessive amount of errors. You can fine tune your overclocking (for speed) or your underclocking (for efficiency) better with Braiins OS.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
eotrix (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 09:21:55 AM
Last edit: June 26, 2019, 03:20:29 AM by frodocooper

So you are saying with Braiins OS, Overclocking is safer? I wanted to install Braiins OS but I could not find an answer to a question. If I install Braiins OS to Nand since all my devices run 2019 Bitmain fw, How can I install bitmain fw to Nand? I have multiple devices, I dont wan to run all of them with SD card, installing would be better choice.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2019, 12:59:58 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2019, 03:20:45 AM by frodocooper

All of your questions are already in braiins OS docs from here https://docs.braiins-os.org/

If you want to install braiins OS to nand you can follow this guide from here Permanently Migrating from Factory Firmware to Braiins OS.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
eotrix (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 05:35:35 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2019, 03:20:59 AM by frodocooper

I just could not find how to get back from braiins os in that page. Bitmain fw wont have option to "install nand" like in braiins os right?
BitMaxz
Legendary

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2019, 07:30:52 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2019, 03:21:15 AM by frodocooper

No, they have through SD card flashing if you flash it with Braiins OS as permanent firmware you can revert it back to bitmains firmware.

If you don't how to do that there is a complete guide flash it back to original firmware.

Check this S9 series (S9, S9i, S9j, S9 Hydro) Control Board Program Recovery.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mikeywith
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 6332

be constructive or S.T.F.U

View Profile
June 25, 2019, 10:48:52 PM

So you are saying with Braiins OS, Overclocking is safer?

I don't think he meant that, he only said you can confirm your setting by comparing ideal and actual, which is nothing special because bitmain firmware has that too, I don't see how Braiin's OS can be safer for overclocking, in fact come to think about it, bitmain newest firmware is safer because there is only so much you can do, so you can't really go wrong.

but by all means if you have the time , i suggest you go with Braiin's, sadly it's a lot of work.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2019, 06:22:31 AM

So you are saying with Braiins OS, Overclocking is safer? I wanted to install Braiins OS but I could not find an answer to a question. If I install Braiins OS to Nand since all my devices run 2019 Bitmain fw, How can I install bitmain fw to Nand? I have multiple devices, I dont wan to run all of them with SD card, installing would be better choice.

BraiinsOS gives you more control, but it comes with responsibility. You can find a more efficient (and safer) setting, but you can also damage your miner if you don't pay attention and bOS won't stop you from using improper speeds and voltages.

Someone linked the procedure to restore the older bitmain fw, it involves the T9 firmware, which lets you install the older S9 firmware... No, they don't show you an option to install it to nand like bOS does, its all blind actually, all you see is leds blinking when its done, then you use that t9 web ui to "upgrade" to the old (pre 2019) s9 firmware. You can thank Bitmain for the stupidity of not offering an S9 recovery image in the first place, but people here found the hard way that convoluted method which i tested myself.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
tim-bc

Activity: 538
Merit: 175

View Profile
July 06, 2019, 02:54:55 PM

So you are saying with Braiins OS, Overclocking is safer? ... all my devices run 2019 Bitmain fw
If all of your miners are already on the latest bitmain firmware, I don't see any compelling reason to try to use braiins. As long as the miner doesn't get too hot, there is no danger in increasing the hashrate with the regular firmware.

Ignore scammers on Skype, Telegram, etc. I will only ever contact you via forum PMs. See profile for fingerprint.
Blackweed

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 31, 2020, 02:25:09 PM
Last edit: December 31, 2020, 11:32:35 PM by frodocooper

Hi. I am looking for examples of frequency for a T17 in the original 42th, I installed Braiins OS + but nothing better to see worse in stabilizer, autotune still active and large variation of hasrate 30 to 55. On one day it turns at 40.5 for 1800Watts. Thank you for your comeback.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: