Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:41:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally a question about Bitcoin that I could not answer.  (Read 15631 times)
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 20, 2014, 11:37:38 PM

Jan, I'm glad you brought this issue—and its potential—to the fore. I lament the lack of a concise 'Bitcoin book' that is like the many computer tutorial and reference guides I've enjoyed over the years. Indeed many people now prefer browsing online media in wiki or blog formats, still many others (such as myself) find value in traditional guide books and compendia. There are many classic computer books ranging from the serious and technical à la Dennis Ritchie or Donal Knuth to the more lighthearted, such as Simson Garfinkel's "Unix-Haters Handbook." So where's the bitcoin book?

Surely, this is a golden opportunity for someone to write the next classic.

http://www.befuddled.org/befuddled

It's a very light hearted (but technical!) book on how Bitcoin works.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
e4xit

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 11:52:01 AM

Where is the Piachu's dissertation...?

Edit: found the link

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88149.0

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:03:10 PM

Jan, I'm glad you brought this issue—and its potential—to the fore. I lament the lack of a concise 'Bitcoin book' that is like the many computer tutorial and reference guides I've enjoyed over the years. Indeed many people now prefer browsing online media in wiki or blog formats, still many others (such as myself) find value in traditional guide books and compendia. There are many classic computer books ranging from the serious and technical à la Dennis Ritchie or Donal Knuth to the more lighthearted, such as Simson Garfinkel's "Unix-Haters Handbook." So where's the bitcoin book?

Surely, this is a golden opportunity for someone to write the next classic.

http://www.befuddled.org/befuddled

It's a very light hearted (but technical!) book on how Bitcoin works.

Thank you.  Smiley
activebiz

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:30:17 PM

There is enough info about bitcoin on the net/wikipedia/bctforum, plus its opensource

flyMASTER

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 02:40:53 PM
Last edit: March 21, 2014, 02:51:57 PM by flyMASTER

There is enough info about bitcoin on the net/wikipedia/bctforum, plus its opensource
That is true but Bitcoin content is spread all over the place, it is inconsistent in content and form and not written in a way that you can enter "easy" and go to the "hard" stuff by reading further. I think a book would have some advantages on that score.

Imoh a good in depth book about Bitcoin would be a great thing. Even better if it gets updated continuously. Better still if its free (CC0 for example). Right? Right!
I have started a LaTeX GitHub repository (https://github.com/TBoehm/Bitcoin-for-Dummies) which we can use for collaborative writing. Also I have added a tip4commit (http://tip4commit.com/projects/660) in order to incentivise those "busy developers" to write some lines of text as well as enable people to directly support this project.

What do you think?
wheatstone

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 07:22:11 PM

I have started a LaTeX GitHub repository (https://github.com/TBoehm/Bitcoin-for-Dummies)

Something tells me that title is going to result in a takedown request sooner rather than later.
knightcoin

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
March 22, 2014, 08:26:59 PM

Jan, just curious, is the book I suggested along the lines you are looking for? I realize it isn't out and so you can't really say with any certainty... but it's helpful for me to gauge whether people think it might be interesting to them based on the superficial details (i.e., the stuff that's apparent before you actually start reading it).
Chris, interesting way of communicating information. I must admit that I have never seen anything like it. I am probably more an old-school kinda guy who would look for something boring like this.
Kernighan & Richie's C book
or
Stevens TCP/IP Illustrated
... something that explains Bitcoin on the protocol level and not so much how bitcoin is used today, as this gets outdated pretty quickly.
Maybe your way is more suitable to the younger generation, good luck with your project.

or something like

Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C, Bruce Schneier ( ISBN-10: 0471117099 )

A book like that I would buy Cheesy

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
mczarnek

Activity: 527
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 23, 2014, 04:32:56 AM

Relatively easy to understand article, it was what made Bitcoin mostly click for me.

http://www.michaelnielsen.org/ddi/how-the-bitcoin-protocol-actually-works/

BitSend ◢◤Clients | Source
www.bitsend.info
█▄
█████▄
████████▄
███████████▄
██████████████
███████████▀
████████▀
█████▀
█▀

Segwit | Core 0.14 | Masternodes
XEVAN | DK3 | Electrum soon
Bitcore - BTX/BTC -Project

BSD -USDT | Bittrex | C.Gather | S.Exchange
Cryptopia | NovaExchange | Livecoin
Litebit.eu | Faucet | Bitsend Airdrop

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████

████
 ████
  ████
   ████
    ████
     ████
      ████
       ████
        ████
       ████
      ████
     ████
    ████
   ████
  ████
 ████
████
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 11:38:11 AM

aha... look at what I found:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920032281.do

Sounds promising. Estimated to be available August 2014.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:41:29 PM

Interestingly enough, on French Amazon, there are 4 books (from french authors) on the topic. I presume the language barrier (rather high in France) pushed for the initiative. This is even more unexpected, seeing France one of Euro countries that exhibits the least interest in Bitcoin.

harding

Activity: 50
Merit: 46

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 02:14:25 PM

Hi,

We've been working on a developer guide for Bitcoin.org which might be what you're looking for.  We have a forum thread, GitHub repository, and a demo site.

We're actively looking for writers and reviewers, so if you'd like to help, please see the forum thread above.

Thanks!, -Dave
Bitram

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:24:10 PM

I guess there is time to write such book .
Jan (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:13:33 PM

Hi,

We've been working on a developer guide for Bitcoin.org which might be what you're looking for.  We have a forum thread, GitHub repository, and a demo site.

We're actively looking for writers and reviewers, so if you'd like to help, please see the forum thread above.

Thanks!, -Dave
Looks pretty comprehensive. Thanks for the heads up.
Guess it is time to chip in.

Mycelium let's you hold your private keys private.
harding

Activity: 50
Merit: 46

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 03:32:20 PM

Hi, Jan.

We'd absolute love any help!  We're mostly guessing about what developers need to know, so feedback based on your experience with Mycelium would be hugely appreciated.  For example, what assumptions made by other documentation has tripped you up?[1]  Which BIPs have you found hard to understand?[2]  What important things just aren't documented elsewhere?[3]

Thanks!,

-Dave

[1] As an example of assumptions, one developer told us that the standard format for describing scripts is confusing to new devs because it doesn't mention the op-push-data codes that must be used.  It just assumes you know about them. We revised the documentation based on his feedback.

[2] As an example of finding documentation hard to understand, when I wrote a quick test implementation of BIP70, trying to figure out one particular sentence from BIP70 cost me three hours of time.

[3] I'm sure there are plenty of examples of undocumented things. :-)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: