Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 01:04:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it just me or is the market dominance of BTC dangerously high?  (Read 999 times)
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1225

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
July 16, 2019, 11:49:01 AM

I've been following Bitcoin's market dominance for a while now. And before the current bullish trend, it used to decrease as the market was growing. I even noticed the correlation between the prices going up and the dominance going down and vice versa. Take a look at this interesting chart: https://coinmarketcap.com/charts/#dominance-percentage. Specifically, at what happened at the end of 2017. Bitcoin's price sky-rocketed, but so did the prices of altcoins. They were kind of fueling each other and thriving. Bitcoin going up coincided with the market of cryptocurrencies expanding, and alts taking up a bigger and bigger part of it. BTC dominance went almost as low as 30% back then.
When the prices started going down, Bitcoin's dominance was growing. People were selling their cryptos a lot, but some of them were selling altcoins for Bitcoin, so it actually lost less than others. When the prices started to go up in April, I thought that 2017 would repeat itself with Bitcoin giving more space for other coins as the market recovers. Instead, what we see is Bitcoin recovering at the expense of altcoins with market dominance now being above 60%.
What do you think about this phenomenon? Is the time of altcoins over, or is it just temporary?
It isn't just you alone. I have also observed it and I frankly think it is dangerously precarious. The dominance isn't healthy at all and this has perpetually kept the prices if altcoins down despite the bull run experienced with Bitcoin lately. Traders and investors still don't want to trust an investment with altcoins owing to that sad experience of 2018 where some of the altcoins ended up as scams. Nobody wants to invest in scam and shitty coins. They would rather invest in Bitcoin and this is keeping Bitcoin dominance on a steady rise.

Before you boast of your material acquisition, take a stroll to a morgue and there you will find those who were once better than you're. Only fools think they've it all. Stay humble 🤔
imstillthebest

Activity: 1638
Merit: 122

View Profile
July 16, 2019, 12:00:47 PM

It isn't just you alone. I have also observed it and I frankly think it is dangerously precarious
same here you guys arent alone with that but i dont get you why consider it dangerous  ? we should be happy with it and its good for the crypto market if btc is dominating because this only means that cryptos such as btc are now becoming more popular plus when btc is exploding this do also help other coins to get out of thier comfort  zone  .  the dominance of btc does not mean that people are now only attracted to btc and they are staying away from tokens and altcoins  .
raes

Activity: 938
Merit: 250

The First Idle Defense Blockchain Game

View Profile
July 16, 2019, 12:05:28 PM

Bitcoin will continue to dominate. Most altcoins are dead and if you think about it, nobody really needs most of them. Which is why they are indeed dead. Don't know though, some of them might pump for no reason.
those who have no interest in the market and that development is the reason for the altcoin's death. bitcoin domination actually won't make altcoin die, if they have developments that can increase demand for their coins. even in down conditions they can actually make their own pumps.

███████████████████
▀██████████████████
▐█████████████████
█████████████████
████████████████
███████████████
▀▀████████████

███████████████████
██████████████████▀
█████████████████▌
█████████████████
████████████████
███████████████
████████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
▀█████████▀
▀███▀
██     ███████████████████████████████████████████████████████     ██
THE FIRST IDLE DEFENSE BLOCKCHAIN GAME
TELEGRAM   ⦁   TWITTER   ⦁   MEDIUM   ⦁   DISCORD   ⦁   YOUTUBE   ⦁   LITEPAPER

►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
aji567

Activity: 728
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 16, 2019, 12:21:43 PM

I think the decline at that time was just a correction. for me the current phenomenon is enough to make me sure that there will be a large bullrun in the future, and this is a pretty good start to get started. Altcoin for me will never stop.
aauchit

Activity: 98
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2019, 01:34:34 PM

its a surprise but Personally i enjoy the increasing dominance of btc most probably because im a btc hodler and increasing dominance do mostly resultin increasing price as well,
IVEXO

Activity: 574
Merit: 2

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2019, 02:15:41 PM

Bitcoin dominance is high and it’s not only you I feel the same way.

No matter how strong an altcoin price or volume is; once bitcoin dips; it follows The downtrends
The dependency on bitcoin is huge and there’s no solution for it yet
South Park

Activity: 2926
Merit: 798

I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!

View Profile
July 17, 2019, 09:26:27 PM

I think it is getting out of control, I mean at certain point it is understandable that bitcoin should have a high dominance but until how much?

Like we can understand why bitcoin dominance is not 10%, nobody expects that, it can totally be 50% or even maybe 55% but it is as high as 63% right now and that doesn't seem healthy, the more bitcoin dominance stays high the more coins that die as well because if all money goes to bitcoin then the rest will go to the other high ones in top 5 or top 10 but the 150th coin will keep losing its value constantly (150 is example only) so if we want the whole of crytpo world to continue living then we need the dominance to go down but not by bitcoin price going down but others going up, that way we can have healthy dominance once again.
But why do you think that a dominance at a certain number is good and a slightly higher dominance is bad? If coins begin to die because no one is investing in them then that is clear signal that those coins were not wanted or needed, that is how a free market works, if a business produces products of poor quality and a high price then that business will soon disappear as a more efficient business appears that produces better products at better prices, so if a group of altcoin developers wants to avoid that fate for their coin then they need to do a better job and give investors a reason to put their money in their coin.
Zicadis
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Dump it!!!

View Profile
July 17, 2019, 09:29:58 PM

Bitcoin will always dominate.  Because it is the best and first cryptocurrency.  I think that he will be glad at the top for a very long time.

Why do you say that, you do realize that at one point Ethereum almost took over Bitcoin as the number 1 cryptocurrency, despite all its flaws.

What happens when a true successor to Ethereum comes along, why would Bitcoin be able to return its position?

I think Libra might be the one to knock BTC off its pedestal, we will see.
Saisher

Activity: 2310
Merit: 175

View Profile
July 17, 2019, 10:23:38 PM

This is just proof that Bitcoin should and must be your primary investment, I have it at 60% of all my portfolio and it's profitable enough for me, of course, altcoins are profitable but only a few of them can deliver the profit just like what Bitcoin is bringing to the table.
Mysteryla

Activity: 420
Merit: 3

View Profile
July 17, 2019, 11:13:44 PM

Bitcoin dominance has given huge profit to holders of bitcoin yet those who were not careful enough still fell victim of it's dump. They were FOMOed. Which then means that, no matter how good a coin might be, it will still dump. Therefore, the dominance of bitcoin will certainly reduce.
Daha19

Activity: 725

Making Smart Money Work

View Profile
July 18, 2019, 05:41:42 AM

Bitcoin is just eating off all the cryptos. People are so sure about bitcoin that they are not investing in any other crypto. Previously people used to buy when the price of bitcoin used to plummet but with the popularity of stablecoin, all of their bitcoin is being exchanged for stablecoins and back to bitcoin.
But I think this is a trap. Large investors are waiting for all the money to go to Bitcoins, and then they just transferred them to Altcoins, this scheme worked last year.

█████▄
██▀   ▀██
██     ██
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄████▄   ▀███▀   ▄████▄
▄██▀  ▀██▄▄████▄▄██▀  ▀██
██       ███   ███       ██
██▄  ▄██▀▀████▀▀██▄  ▄██▀
▀████▀   ▄███▄   ▀████▀
▄██▀ ▀██▄
██     ██
██▄   ▄██
▀█████
          ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄    ▄▄
Prasaga
                                                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████████████████▄
██████████████████▄
████████████████████▄
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
WHITEPAPER    
►  TECH WP
►  COMMERCIAL WP
MMA Rats

Activity: 509
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 18, 2019, 04:44:43 PM

So it is, more and more investments go only into Bitcoin and now less and less investors are investing in altcoins and the domination of Bitcoin is constantly growing, everyone sees that only Bitcoin is growing and they start to invest in it.
Bitcoin has always been a big dominance, but now the market capitalization is not very big, so people think that almost everyone invests only in BTC

Malam90

Activity: 1099
Merit: 116

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 09:52:30 AM

I've been following Bitcoin's market dominance for a while now. And before the current bullish trend, it used to decrease as the market was growing. I even noticed the correlation between the prices going up and the dominance going down and vice versa. Take a look at this interesting chart: https://coinmarketcap.com/charts/#dominance-percentage. Specifically, at what happened at the end of 2017. Bitcoin's price sky-rocketed, but so did the prices of altcoins. They were kind of fueling each other and thriving. Bitcoin going up coincided with the market of cryptocurrencies expanding, and alts taking up a bigger and bigger part of it. BTC dominance went almost as low as 30% back then.
When the prices started going down, Bitcoin's dominance was growing. People were selling their cryptos a lot, but some of them were selling altcoins for Bitcoin, so it actually lost less than others. When the prices started to go up in April, I thought that 2017 would repeat itself with Bitcoin giving more space for other coins as the market recovers. Instead, what we see is Bitcoin recovering at the expense of altcoins with market dominance now being above 60%.
What do you think about this phenomenon? Is the time of altcoins over, or is it just temporary?

BTC has been dominating from the first but after 2017, the dominance percentage was nearly 50%. From April 2019, the dominance % has increased to 63%. It is dangerous for the growth of crypto market especially altcoins market. Maximum coins are at the edge of destruction.
tiCeR

Activity: 1764
Merit: 756

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:20:48 PM

Which shows that there is a a little bit less speculation into other alts and more confidence in Bitcoin as the strongest currency.
raes

Activity: 938

The First Idle Defense Blockchain Game

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 04:30:37 PM

Which shows that there is a a little bit less speculation into other alts and more confidence in Bitcoin as the strongest currency.
it usually happens when the pump is only experienced by bitcoin and altcoin doesn't follow it. dominance still belongs to bitcoin and if it continues, it will be bad for altcoin. Bitcoin's popularity is undefeated if he experiences the next pump. and hopefully this time the altcoin follows where bitcoin goes.

███████████████████
▀██████████████████
▐█████████████████
█████████████████
████████████████
███████████████
▀▀████████████

███████████████████
██████████████████▀
█████████████████▌
█████████████████
████████████████
███████████████
████████████▀▀
▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
▀█████████▀
▀███▀
THE FIRST IDLE DEFENSE BLOCKCHAIN GAME
TELEGRAM   ⦁   TWITTER   ⦁   MEDIUM   ⦁   DISCORD   ⦁   YOUTUBE   ⦁   LITEPAPER

►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
10BTCaDay

Activity: 770
Merit: 100

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 05:18:03 PM

it usually happens when the pump is only experienced by bitcoin and altcoin doesn't follow it. dominance still belongs to bitcoin and if it continues, it will be bad for altcoin. Bitcoin's popularity is undefeated if he experiences the next pump. and hopefully this time the altcoin follows where bitcoin goes.
Now the domination of Bitcoin is already very high and it grew almost without the appearance of a correction, and we all know that nothing can grow without the end. wait for the correction and at that moment the time of the altcoins will come

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 05:35:48 PM

BTC has been dominating from the first but after 2017, the dominance percentage was nearly 50%. From April 2019, the dominance % has increased to 63%. It is dangerous for the growth of crypto market especially altcoins market. Maximum coins are at the edge of destruction.

What I'm curious about is if btc could even survive without a proper alt market. It's not like btc's volume mostly comes from actual use -- nobody really uses btc to buy goods. There is of course btc trading for fiat, but I expect a large percentage of btc volume involves trading with alts. But when dominance is this high, alt volume goes down ... so eventually if alts get crushed into smithereens, and btc dominance goes crazy, who will be trading btc for alts anymore?
South Park

Activity: 2926
Merit: 798

I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 09:22:59 PM

What I'm curious about is if btc could even survive without a proper alt market. It's not like btc's volume mostly comes from actual use -- nobody really uses btc to buy goods. There is of course btc trading for fiat, but I expect a large percentage of btc volume involves trading with alts. But when dominance is this high, alt volume goes down ... so eventually if alts get crushed into smithereens, and btc dominance goes crazy, who will be trading btc for alts anymore?
Make no mistake, alts need bitcoin but the same is not true for bitcoin, most people that invest in alts do not really believe in the promises of their developers, the only thing they want is for alts to grow faster than bitcoin so they can get more bitcoin in the process, if alts disappeared and all the money in the market was invested in bitcoin then we will be close to the all time high and you can be sure there will be an intense activity in all exchanges as people speculate how high the price will go this time.
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
July 25, 2019, 03:12:15 AM

Make no mistake, alts need bitcoin but the same is not true for bitcoin, most people that invest in alts do not really believe in the promises of their developers, the only thing they want is for alts to grow faster than bitcoin so they can get more bitcoin in the process, if alts disappeared and all the money in the market was invested in bitcoin then we will be close to the all time high and you can be sure there will be an intense activity in all exchanges as people speculate how high the price will go this time.

But that's the thing, why should we assume all money currently invested in alts would magically go into btc instead? It seems like too many folks invest with money they really can't afford to lose, so if alts get crushed, why assume they'd take whatever is left and put it into btc? More likely they'd be at such a loss, they wouldn't have that much money to put into btc to begin with. And some may be so annoyed with crypto in general, they'd just avoid the markets entirely.

I agree that most folks use alts as a way to speculate in order to gain more btc. But if alts didn't exist, I wouldn't just automatically assume everyone would flock to btc.  I'd also be curious what btc's volume would look like once we remove exchange volume for alts... I certainly don't think it'd look like it is now.
jak3
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 25, 2019, 08:36:36 PM

Bitcoin is the king and King can live without alts. Altcoins Are going down and their money is being absorbed by Bitcoin and rest of the money is flushed into the real world. bitcoin dominance is high yet it was still a lot of to cover, I believe bitcoin is still gonna crush altcoins more and it's just halfway. bitcoin will soon gonna reach 20k $ mark and altcoins are still gonna rise don't lose your hopes. I know many people are moving toward better options but bitcoin is now too heavy to make bigger profits and altcoins are still young and light you can possibly make 2x or 3x or even higher if you invest in altcoins in the right time.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: