Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:30:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I need Help finding or recovering bitcoins off an old hard drive  (Read 2370 times)
SheriffBass (OP)

Activity: 77
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 03, 2020, 12:47:39 AM

So the words aren't all on either list!!
That is problematic, as it means it is neither a BIP39 wallet seed mnemonic, nor an Electrum wallet seed mnemonic Undecided

au contraire mon amie!! I rather it this way which means the time frame is correct ( I didn't make it up recently during my search/ research) as it predates such seeds which make it more likely to be a blockchain password!!

so if it's a blockchain password and I don't have a wallet ID can I scan my old PC to find this "wallet.aes.json" file? any special software or method to target such file??
Try the recovery methods at Blockchain.com... https://login.blockchain.com/#/help

If you don't have wallet-id, but have an idea of what email address you might have used... and you still have access to the email address, you can try the wallet-id reminder option. You can also try the "Forgot your password" option and see if it works... unlikely given you have nonBIP39 words... so also try the old recovery: https://login.blockchain.com/wallet/forgot-password?guid=

I hope I didn't set it up with my old Verizon email as I stopped using them a while ago!!!! :-( and I can't use their email any more!!

e 12 words live online? or can I do it offline ( to a hardware wallet or software) to generate public/ private keys?
Yes, it's an online web-based platform... so if you want to try blockchain.info recovery, you have to do it via their website.
any danger of being monitored or hacked if I enter the pass phrase live online? any precautions I can take??

any difference between blockchain.com/.info?
No, blockchain.info was moved to blockchain.com a while ago... the .info domain now redirects to .com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
September 03, 2020, 10:27:34 AM

au contraire mon amie!! I rather it this way which means the time frame is correct ( I didn't make it up recently during my search/ research) as it predates such seeds which make it more likely to be a blockchain password!!
Possibly... but being a simple BIP39/Electrum seed would make things a LOT easier Undecided

I hope I didn't set it up with my old Verizon email as I stopped using them a while ago!!!! :-( and I can't use their email any more!!
If so, then there is pretty much no way to recover... as far as I know, no-one has ever been able to recover if they've lost use of the email as blockchain.com can't/won't change it...

any danger of being monitored or hacked if I enter the pass phrase live online? any precautions I can take??
No more danger than anything you usually do online... there isn't anything you can really do except make sure you're connected to the correct website and you're fairly certain that their are no keyloggers/malware etc on your machine... possibly using a LiveOS on a USB stick with a clean install of Linux might help ensure there is no malware etc...

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
SheriffBass (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2020, 07:10:47 PM

My question was specifically about working offline on Bitcoin core ( that's where the original wallet was created and I have it already up to date).
Bitcoin Core does not, and never has, used 12 word seeds... if you have a 12 word seed, it was not created with Bitcoin Core.

OOoooooorrrrrr it's the 12 words created to encrypt and decrypt the Bitcoin core wallet??? right???

I just have to figure out which wallet!!
HCP
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2020, 10:59:40 PM

OOoooooorrrrrr it's the 12 words created to encrypt and decrypt the Bitcoin core wallet??? right???
I'd have to be honest and say "No". Most people don't use "12 words" to encrypt/decrypt a Bitcoin Core wallet... Bitcoin Coin simply uses a "passphrase" which is essentially just a "password"...

The user is free to make it whatever they want... from a simple password like "abc123" to something very long and complex like "Th1s Is My Super SecRet P@55 Phrase That Uses Symb0ls Numb3rs and Upper and Lowerc@se Letters And is vErY Long!2020#"

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
SheriffBass (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 02:14:53 PM

you would be very surprised with what my little brain can think off, when I try to hide something I hide it sooo good even I can't find it!!!

what's better than just a pass phrase? one that consisting of 12 totally random words that makes no sense and is more unpredictable??

I still don't want to plug the 12 words I have to the blockchain.com server (yet), thinking of buying a hardware wallet as a ledger or trezor and try a 12 word wallet recover, however I believe they only accept BIP words!! Undecided
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 16316

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2020, 02:32:57 PM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I still don't want to plug the 12 words I have to the blockchain.com server (yet), thinking of buying a hardware wallet as a ledger or trezor and try a 12 word wallet recover, however I believe they only accept BIP words!! Undecided
This Mnemonic Code Converter has been recommended already, but I'll do it again: download it, and run it from RAM from an offline Live Linux DVD. Unplug your internet and turn off your PC to wipe it's memory when you're done.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
SheriffBass (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2020, 03:36:50 PM

This Mnemonic Code Converter has been recommended already, but I'll do it again: download it, and run it from RAM from an offline Live Linux DVD. Unplug your internet and turn off your PC to wipe it's memory when you're done.

Sorry I Don't use/ know how to use Linux, got it on a flash drive and will try it on my offline windows PC hope it works. and this also works with non BIP dictionary words too right?
Thank you.
HCP
Legendary

View Profile
September 26, 2020, 12:00:53 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2023, 12:52:44 AM by HCP

Correct, pretty much all of the hardware wallets that I can think of utilise BIP39 wordlists for mnemonic generation and wallet recovery. I am fairly confident that any hardware wallet you buy will reject your 12 words due to the fact that you have non-BIP39 words in it.

Sorry I Don't use/ know how to use Linux, got it on a flash drive and will try it on my offline windows PC hope it works. and this also works with non BIP dictionary words too right?
No, it doesn't. Ian Coleman's Mnemonic Code Converter works using BIP39 mnemonic word lists. It will be of no use to your if you have words that are not in the BIP39 wordlist.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2020, 11:41:31 AM

Thank you.

The 12 words you possess are not the encoded seed for all of the private keys holding your BTC.
They are basically just a recovery mechanism for a specific web wallet (blockchain.com).

You can not generate the private keys out of the words yourself. You inevitably have to enter them on blockchain.com to retrieve your coins.

Hardware wallets on the other hand use an open standard to derive private keys from a set of mnemonic code (12 words). And this standard uses the word list.
No hardware wallet can recover your coins from your blockchain.com words.

SheriffBass (OP)

View Profile
October 05, 2020, 03:21:53 PM

Thank you.

The 12 words you possess are not the encoded seed for all of the private keys holding your BTC.
They are basically just a recovery mechanism for a specific web wallet (blockchain.com).

so u r just saying that these 12 words were just another way of passwords back then, right?

did blockchain.info/.com ever have QR codes back 10 years ago?

bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2020, 03:10:46 PM

so u r just saying that these 12 words were just another way of passwords back then, right?

Kind of, yes.
I don't know enough about blockchain.com to answer that question with 100% certainty, since i didn't use at any time.

But the 12 words definitely were not a backup of the seed back then. So, basically, yes. Just another way of password.

did blockchain.info/.com ever have QR codes back 10 years ago?

I am not sure what you exactly mean with QR codes Huh
Blockchain.com (formerly known as blockchain.org) was created roughly 9 years ago. And they definitely didn't follow BIP39 back then.

SheriffBass (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2020, 06:42:02 PM

The QR code is this picture of a scrambled net like lines, when you scan it it reflects a real written value as a wallet address or keys..... or even a business card or a link to a website....

I'm asking because there was a paper with a QR code ( already shredded and tossed Angry Angry!!!) near where I found the 12 words.
HCP
Legendary

View Profile
October 07, 2020, 08:30:56 PM

Paper with QR code might also have been a "paper wallet"... a lot of the paper wallet generators use QR codes for ease of scanning address (and/or importing private key to wallet for redemption)... However, if it has been shredded and tossed, then obviously we'll never know for certain.

I know Blockchain can display QR codes when requesting a receive address, and it currently shows them for private keys which were imported to blockchain, but I don't think they ever used them for exporting mnemonic seeds or keys that were generated by their HD wallets...

Not sure if they ever showed QR codes for the old old wallets prior to the move to using HD wallets. However, it's been such a long time and blockchain has had so many UI/UX changes that I don't recall if they were used like that. I certainly never personally used them if they did.

Given that some of the 12 words are not even in the blockchain "password recovery" list... it's most probably that these 12 words are not even a blockchain recovery phrase, but some other obscure wallet with it's own proprietary recovery system. Undecided

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
Potato Chips

Activity: 2716
Merit: 884

yesssir! 🫡

View Profile
October 08, 2020, 10:29:36 AM

Blockchain.com before switching to HD wallets did have paper wallet as another form of backup. I'm not sure when did it became a thing in blockchain.com but definitely not 10 years ago cause their wallet service weren't around that time.

But still, this is what they look like and you can compare them to yours. (both source are from 2014)

1. Tutorial: Backup Basics! The Best Ways to Backup Your Blockchain Wallet (It doesn't look like a private key to me, not sure if it's intended that way because it's just a sample)
2. Blockchain.info Paper Backup Stores Private Keys in the Browser History (LOL)

Your old email accounts might have some trace of which wallet you've used. It's worth looking into them.

.dice9.win.░░░░▄▄█████▄▄
░░▄████▀▀████▄
░█████▀██▀█████
█████▀█████▀█████
█████▄█████▄█████
████▄▀▀█▀▀▄▄████
░████▄▀█▄█▀▄████
░░▀████▄▄████▀
░░░░▀▀█████▀▀
████
░░░░░░█████████

███████

░░░░▄▄█████▄▄░░█████
░░▄████▀▀████▄
░████▀░░░░▀████
████▄▄█▀█▄▄████
██░░███░░░███░░██
████▀▀█▄█▀▀████
░████▄░░░░▄████
░░▀████▄▄████▀
░░░░▀▀█████▀▀
         ▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄
     ▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄
   ▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
 ▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄▀
▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░▄▀
 ▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
   ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
COIN FLIP
       ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▄▄
█▀▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀░█
█░░░▀▀▀▄▄▄░░░▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░▀█▀░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░█
 ▀▀▄▄░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░▄▄▀▀
     ▀▀░░░░▀░░░░░░░▀
DICE
      ▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄
 ▄▄▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀█▄   ▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄█▀▀▀░░░░▀▀▀▀▄▄▄
█░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░▄▀▀▀░█░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀█
█░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░█▀▀▀▄█░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█▀▀▀▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█
 ▀▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█
   ▀▄▄░░░░█░░░░░░░▄▄▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░█
      ▀░░░░░░░░░▀▀░░░░░░░░▀░░░░░░░░░░░▀
TWO DICE
▄█▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀ ░░░▄▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▄░░░░▀█▄
▄▀▀█▄▄▀▀▀▀░░░▄▀░░▀▄░░░▀▀▀▀▄▄█▀▀▄
▄█▀▀█▀▄ ░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░ ▀▄░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀█▄
▄▀░░░█░░░▀▄░░░░█░░░░░░░░░ █░░░░▄▀░░░█░░░▀▄
█░░▄▀░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░ ▀▄▄▀░░░░░░▀▄░░█
█░▄▀░░░░░▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄▄░░░░░▀▄░█
█▀░░▄▄▀▀▀░░ ░▀▄▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀ ░░░▀▀▀▄▄░░▀█
▀▄▀▀░░░░░░░   ░░▀▀▀▄░░▄▀▀▀░░      ░░░░▀▀▄▀

ETHEROLL
..PLAY NOW..
SheriffBass (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2020, 04:40:46 PM

Blockchain.com before switching to HD wallets did have paper wallet as another form of backup. I'm not sure when did it became a thing in blockchain.com but definitely not 10 years ago cause their wallet service weren't around that time.

But still, this is what they look like and you can compare them to yours. (both source are from 2014)

1. Tutorial: Backup Basics! The Best Ways to Backup Your Blockchain Wallet (It doesn't look like a private key to me, not sure if it's intended that way because it's just a sample)
2. Blockchain.info Paper Backup Stores Private Keys in the Browser History (LOL)
Yea, that's funny having all your coins stored on your browser!!!

Your old email accounts might have some trace of which wallet you've used. It's worth looking into them.
all old emails were read and eliminated except for Verizon as they don't exist, and I don't have access to it any longer!!!  Angry
I plugged in the 12 words to the Blockchain legacy wallet recovery and got a " unknown word" msg which I thought with the mnemonic words there shouldn't be such a msg since all words are accepted!!
will look up the browser history and scan for Json files on the old drives and see what I can find  Undecided

HCP
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2020, 11:47:22 PM

I plugged in the 12 words to the Blockchain legacy wallet recovery and got a " unknown word" msg which I thought with the mnemonic words there shouldn't be such a msg since all words are accepted!!
No, just like other wallets... the blockchain legacy recovery system uses a "word list". If you are getting an "unknown word" error, then either one or more of your 12 words are incorrect (check spelling etc) or the 12 words are NOT blockchain legacy recovery words.

If you also get "unknown word" type errors when trying to restore using a BIP39 wallet (like Electrum with "BIP39 seed" option set or using Ian Coleman's BIP39 tool) then the 12 words are not a BIP39 recovery seed mnemonic either.

You're left with the option of it being:

1. a brainwallet... but which wallet? and what method did it use for converting words to private keys? Huh
or
2. some other obscure wallet with it's own recovery system

Unless you can identify which wallet these words belong to (or possibly the incorrect word(s)), your chances of recovery are relatively slim Undecided

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
SheriffBass (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2020, 12:57:25 AM
Last edit: October 15, 2020, 01:32:16 AM by SheriffBass

I was just reading about using 12 words to encrypt a bitcoin core wallet!!

so apparently the 12 words maybe used to encrypt and decrypt "A" wallet, but which wallet???
 Hope its not that long gone shredded paper  Roll Eyes
However there is a list of dormant bitcoin addresses that I can try to work on every single one to try to decrypt it Using these 12 words till One works 🤔🤔
And gotta dig deeper into the old drives browser history, and cookies.

nc50lc
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 5429

Self-proclaimed Genius

View Profile
October 15, 2020, 04:22:28 AM

Can you provide the link of that paper or article?

Because as far as I know, a mnemonic phrase is mostly used as a human-readable representation of an entropy.
If it's used to encrypt a wallet, then it might a passphrase/password disguised as a mnemonic phrase.

███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
bob123
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2020, 05:02:05 PM

Are you sure that you actually understood what you have read?

While encrypting a wallet(file?) with words is definitely possible, it is rarely done. And if done, it can be quite confusing.

12 words almost always are a mnemonic code which is the encoded seed which is used to derive the keys from a HD wallet.

SheriffBass (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2020, 11:38:49 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2020, 02:23:21 PM by SheriffBass

Can you provide the link of that paper or article?
Here Is one from 2011: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/6b8a5ab622e5c9386c872036646bf94da983b190/doc/README

You can read the Technical details of wallet encryption.

and here is more recent one: https://vhernando.github.io/bitcoin-wallet-encrypt-decrypt-cipher
I think the encryption in Core is just to open and close access to the wallet spending ability without having any link to recreating the keys: https://chainquery.com/bitcoin-cli/walletpassphrase

Because as far as I know, a mnemonic phrase is mostly used as a human-readable representation of an entropy.
If it's used to encrypt a wallet, then it might a passphrase/password disguised as a mnemonic phrase.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: