Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:28:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Check out this poll on Bitcoin - 95% would never buy!!!  (Read 4302 times)
Flatulenters

Activity: 71
Merit: 16

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:16:59 PM

Most people don't have the time to learn about BTC and all they hear is bad news. I wouldn't call someone stupid because they won't invest without due diligence.

Ok, that's true. But what about people making uninformed opinions?
frobley

Activity: 708
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 02:30:36 PM

And now you see the proper distribution of IQ levels in humanity.

And you simultaneously see why your whole Bitcoin is going to be worth a sh*t ton of money in 10 years.

This is only good news.  Because as the 95% sheeples talk trash and cower in fear, those with IQ's over 100 actually did a lil reading and are watching the paradigm change take hold all over the world.

By the time the 95% sheeples realize what its worth, it will be way too late for them to make any money on it, and you'll be buying yachts.

-B-

without the 95% of literally brainwashed dumbasses turning to bitcoin, I doubt there'll be the capital coming in in a way that's needed to see any real price rise.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 03:26:28 PM

So 5% would? Cool, 50x increase from now.

lol its funny cuz its technically true
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 03:37:59 PM

The upside potential implied is truly mind boggling.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 03:44:19 PM

The upside potential implied is truly mind boggling.
This.
And also most people are not very good at predicting their own future actions.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
derpinheimer
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 03:51:05 PM

Lets assume 90% of the yes voters already own BTC.

And 20% of maybe -> yes.

Now 0.7%

I believe that much more.
kooke (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Bitcoin super-duper-mega-ultra-hyper-node

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:03:45 PM

3 % ain´t bad, actually.

if 3 % of the world population would buy, bitcoin for 100 dollars that would make 

216 000 000 mio users and additional market cap of $ 21 600 000 000

ccmf todamoon alert...

You bring up a good point. I think we could definitely hit that market cap within this year. Most of those no voters probably read 'digital currency' and think that bitcoin is like MMO game gold that can be farmed/mined.

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:09:48 PM

So 5% would? Cool, 50x increase from now.

lol its funny cuz its technically true

Exactly.  3% of the population buying bitcoin represents more than an order of magnitude increase in the user base.  This would push the price up tremendously, increase the public's knowledge of bitcoin, and add legitimacy (there'd be a better chance that someone whose opinion you respect is involved with bitcoin).

Next time the poll is taken, 20% will say they'd purchase bitcoin.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 06:42:09 PM

Context of the article skews the poll results.

That's like first showing Detroit to non-Americans and then asking what they think of the US.

+1

came here to say this. it's called poisoning the well.

--arepo

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
Bitcoin BEAR

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 08:28:53 PM

Context of the article skews the poll results.

That's like first showing Detroit to non-Americans and then asking what they think of the US.

+1

came here to say this. it's called poisoning the well.

--arepo

Then again, Detroit has never been "The most popular...anything", and is a much smaller part of the US than Gox was of Bitcoin. So, bad analogy
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 4505

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 08:55:53 PM

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/14/bitcoin-class-action-seeks-500m-compensation-for-canadian-users

I was just reading this article about the class-action lawsuit against Mt. Gox being filed in Ontario. They have a poll asking if one would ever buy bitcoins. Over 5000 voters and 95% voted no, while only 3% voted yes.

Just be aware that the Toronto Sun is a trashy little right-wing tabloid. Polling its readers is like polling the John Birch Society, NRA or KKK. This is a "newspaper" that actually supported Rob Ford. Of course their readers will have a lower IQ and include more luddites than average.
____

Thanks for alerting me to the Ontario-based class-action suit against Gox. I had a ticket open at Gox about the 49 coins they wouldn't let me move to cold storage in early September, that they said had been withdrawn on Sept 29.

I don't know if my account there was hacked or if  they simply were stealing my coins, but I just filled out the forms to join the C-A suit. Any return would be nice at this time.

Thanks again.
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 11:34:14 PM

Great now you just removed all my doubts..... yup your score is pretty low. Go take some Statistic class, you're talking to a person with a degree in Actual Science.

Edit: i dont feel like reading your reply again so i'm gonna end this. Its easy for you to read and copy some txt on website without actually understand what it is. Avg or mean of the normal distribution is 100, with the standard deviation is 15 means :

95% of the population is within 70-130 (double SD). So yes its possible to have 95% below 100. Its not "50/50" like some "gambler" when they think of avg.

I have three degrees in 'Actual Science'.

This is a very frustrating discussion. In order to properly explain this we need visuals.

You don't even need to read this reply, I just wanted to say that it isn't really cool or polite to be so dismissive and judgmental.

Additionally, the bolded part illustrates the problem. It is mathematically impossible to create a data set that simultaneously: Is normally distributed, has the average at 100, a standard deviation of 15, and has 95% of the population below the average.

I defy anyone to produce the above data set. It is mathematically and statistically impossible.

2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
March 15, 2014, 11:42:38 PM

"never" is a long time  Grin

kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 12:16:21 AM

And you simultaneously see why your whole Bitcoin is going to be worth a sh*t ton of money in 10 years.

This is only good news.  Because as the 95% sheeples talk trash and cower in fear, those with IQ's over 100 actually did a lil reading and are watching the paradigm change take hold all over the world.

By the time the 95% sheeples realize what its worth, it will be way too late for them to make any money on it, and you'll be buying yachts.

-B-

So because the majority of people are unwilling to invest in a high risk commodity, that makes them unintelligent? You must be a very interesting person in real life.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 12:30:23 AM

-B-

So because the majority of people are unwilling to invest in a high risk commodity, that makes them unintelligent? You must be a very interesting person in real life.
The commodity itself is not high risk. It is actually extremely low risk so far as simple investing goes. The risk lies with the user. When security falls on the individual, and most individuals are clueless about online security, they falsely perceive bitcoin as being risky when the flaw lies with themselves.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 10:01:22 PM

-B-

The commodity itself is not high risk. It is actually extremely low risk so far as simple investing goes. The risk lies with the user. When security falls on the individual, and most individuals are clueless about online security, they falsely perceive bitcoin as being risky when the flaw lies with themselves.
And therefore we're to be the top 5% while the other 95% is figuring out how to properly store their coins Smiley
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:44:50 PM

The commodity itself is not high risk. It is actually extremely low risk so far as simple investing goes.
What is simple investing? Is that just throwing your money away and hoping for the best? Because that's what bitcoin is. Anyone who invested late November has already lost nearly 50% of their holdings, but bitcoin is "extremely low risk" right?

I don't know how you can say that. "Don't invest more than you're willing to lose" is essentially the mantra around here. Maybe you've just had too much kool-aid from the team bitcoin pitcher?

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
aminorex
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1029

Sine secretum non libertas

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 11:21:02 PM

The commodity itself is not high risk. It is actually extremely low risk so far as simple investing goes.
What is simple investing? Is that just throwing your money away and hoping for the best? Because that's what bitcoin is. Anyone who invested late November has already lost nearly 50% of their holdings, but bitcoin is "extremely low risk" right?

Right.  Do not make the pandemic error of confusing volatility with risk.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man a Poisson distribution and he eats at random times independent of one another, at a constant known rate.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 11:27:11 PM

I don't know how you can say that. "Don't invest more than you're willing to lose" is essentially the mantra around here. Maybe you've just had too much kool-aid from the team bitcoin pitcher?
Bitcoin doesn't rise in percentages. It rises in orders of magnitude. Anything between the old ATH and the most recent one is, for my purposes, the same price. Won't matter what they were bought for once we have the next rally which will find a new low somewhere north of $1200.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Zapffe

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 11:36:43 PM

It's funny how the bitcoiners will soon start to blame everyone else that they aren't buying. It doesn't have anything to do with their inability to create an trustworthy market system, no sir. Everyone are just stupid, that they aren't interested in buying something this risky, just so your coins would cost a little more.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: