Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Should we rename BFGMiner?
Yes - rename BFGMiner - 14 (29.8%)
No - keep the name - 33 (70.2%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we rename BFGMiner?  (Read 2907 times)
chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 11:51:54 AM

The name bfgminer was originally coined by Kano as an alternative to cgminer (he happily goes to great pains to present IRC logs proving it), and eventually adopted by lukeJr and allegedly was named after saint barbara, disguising the fact it was named after the big fucking gun.

Forks of my code I don't have a problem with. There are now dozens of them used by various asic manufacturers who feel they want total ownership of the code that is running on their hardware, and I actively encouraged people to fork the GPU and scrypt code in cgminer after I announced I was dropping support for it, including help some people set up repositories to work from.

The coloured history and association with cgminer stems from luke contributing some code to cgminer, and then forking cgminer 9 months after I started the project - as bfgminer - and then claiming through some absurd logic that cgminer was the fork because of his contributions to cgminer to that date. Since then he has continued to take thousands of patches from cgminer while cgminer has taken virtually no code from bfgminer in that time. Even if you rename bfgminer, if he continues to pull cgminer code, and continue to claim that cgminer is the clone, the controversy will follow you forever.

Controversy in the bitcoin world repeatedly follows luke wherever he goes and if he remains the main contributor and maintainer, it really doesn't matter what you name the software, the controversy will follow you.

Your problem is the association with luke-jr, not the bfgminer name.

Open source means everyone to use the code but to return back the changes that have done.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cassey

Activity: 470
Merit: 250

Better to have 100 friends than 100 rubles

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 03:21:51 PM

My final thought:

Say you call it "Ralph".  For the next several years, every time you use the term "Ralph", your going to have to say "Ralph (formally bfgminer)".  I see no point.

Cassey
fastcore

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:00:54 PM

Makes me think of the kid's book BFG - The Big Friendly Giant!
ManeBjorn
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 05, 2014, 04:45:40 PM

It's difficult to vote on this as BFGMiner is a known name and a solid product.  When talking to others I just have to say BFG and other in the community know what it is.
Changing the name does not change the history and controversy which in the end is not a big deal.  There are always going to be differences of opinion and ways of doing things and schisms will happen.

Changing it though has pluses as it can be named something more dynamic as it has been a very dynamic and well supported program with wide recognition.  Giving it a branding that exemplifies that could be beneficial.

I am going to have to think some more before I vote.

irrational

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 04:10:53 PM

Controversy in the bitcoin world repeatedly follows luke wherever he goes and if he remains the main contributor and maintainer, it really doesn't matter what you name the software, the controversy will follow you.

Well said, and exactly the reason I avoid bfgminer.

That said, I don't think the type of people who'd take offensense to BFG would likely be installing a miner.

Just my 2-bit-cents.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 07:29:56 PM

Well said, and exactly the reason I avoid bfgminer.
Your forum handle fits well.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 07:23:33 PM

I dunno, every time i see BFG i think ButterFly Girl. Left over from when someone appeared to be BFL's lackey.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: