Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 11:04:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: State of Wall street trading - where BTC is headed?  (Read 822 times)
gjgjg (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:31:05 PM

...or is BTC already subject to this new method of automated trading? The price stability recently would suggest not but can't see how it can be avoided - isn't the block chain limited to x transactions per second?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq1Ln1UCoEU

edit: for those who don't want to watch the video,basically it looks into the world of 'automated' trading systems that are taking over how stocks are traded on wall street. Basically the systems are causing large price swings and could possibly crash markets and (of course) are largely left unchecked.
Since BTC has a large number of speculators buying and selling, I guess BTC will start to become increasingly assessed by Wall street traders as it becomes more mainstream, but if that happens it's subject to the 'wrath'of these automated systems.

My post was to make more people aware of the rise of the automated trading world, and maybe see who has any insight into how affected the BTC world is by this - or if theres just some opinions on it.
cheers

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 06:55:00 PM

I would image most of these high frequency trades would be off-chain.  Similar to Gox or any other exchange, it's more or less an internal movement.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:26:18 AM

High frequency trading alone does not create large price swings.  Actually it significantly narrows spreads and makes markets less liquid.  It represents innovation, not a reason to be fearful, as many people like to claim HFT is. And yes if bitcoin survives it will be traded like this by many firms.

arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:39:59 AM

High frequency trading alone does not create large price swings.  Actually it significantly narrows spreads and makes markets less liquid.  It represents innovation, not a reason to be fearful, as many people like to claim HFT is. And yes if bitcoin survives it will be traded like this by many firms.

do you mean less volatile? i was under the impression that speculators add liquidity to markets.

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 12:44:14 AM

do you mean less volatile? i was under the impression that speculators add liquidity to markets.

yea, thats what I meant, my bad.  Yes they do add liquidity.

keithers
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001

This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:59:30 AM

Logically speaking, with more big money being thrown at bitcoin on a daily basis,  it would be hard to imagine the prices over the medium to long term going down...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: