Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 10:29:49 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Be careful of bounty/airdrop campaigns with "download app" requirement  (Read 1073 times)
Prolifik

Activity: 588
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 01:19:49 PM

It is a good move to make a bounty campaign on app download and review?
Because many bounty campaigns require to download app and make a positive review to get paid. With this way app is going to be more popular, but it is good? What could happen if app infected by a virus that will steal your private keys? And you were the promoter of the app?

Babyrica0226

Activity: 854
Merit: 252

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 01:20:19 PM

I am not discouraging hunters to join bounty campaigns that requires you to download their app or wallet. This is just a friendly reminder to everyone that we should be careful since there have been some malicious apps used to collect personal information and steal funds from mobile/pc. There were also instances where hackers were able to exploit the vulnerabilities of some apps.

If you still wish to continue and download their app, at least take some measures like not storing your private keys/seed phrase in your phone/pc to protect your funds.

You can also read guides posted by some of the forum members here.

Have a safe bounty hunting!

You're right, I found out that some of the bounty campaign now are implementing to use their apps wallet instead of ERC20, just like TAU, Vectorium which is now running in progress their campaign and under by IEO also. But in TAU I have a bad feelings with it because its a mining apps in the mobile. Do you think this one is safe? Thank you...
o.ogurlu

Activity: 910
Merit: 12

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2019, 01:44:10 PM

I am not discouraging hunters to join bounty campaigns that requires you to download their app or wallet. This is just a friendly reminder to everyone that we should be careful since there have been some malicious apps used to collect personal information and steal funds from mobile/pc. There were also instances where hackers were able to exploit the vulnerabilities of some apps.

If you still wish to continue and download their app, at least take some measures like not storing your private keys/seed phrase in your phone/pc to protect your funds.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, some mobile applications may have security vulnerabilities. And this allows hackers to access many documents on our phone. Therefore, before downloading such applications we should be careful and should do a good research. Alyssa Hertig which a member of the editorial team at CoinDesk, writed the blog in 2017 about this topic. I believe that we can understand more clearly why we should be more careful thanks to the numerical figures given in that blog.

https://www.coindesk.com/90-crypto-mobile-apps-trouble-security-report-claims
BitcoinTurk

Activity: 1652
Merit: 629

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 01:56:57 PM

I recommend not to participate in such campaigns, because these are very high-risk campaigns. Anyone who uses Android software on their mobile devices and uses Windows software on their PCs should not perform this kind of operation because these two operating system software are very weak. Because of their weakness, they cannot detect dangerous software contained in such campaign files, and the user who downloaded them is damaged. I recommend not to use such earning methods just to make a few bucks. In the meantime, even non-malicious software requires access to all the permissions on our device, so there is no user security at all.
Iykecollinz
Copper Member

Activity: 294
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 03:21:31 PM

I have participated in some in the past, mostly Airdrops but none was worth the data and time spent on it, from brd, speedcoin and usdx, none proved any worth. Have decided not to participate in any bounty or Airdrop that will require app download anymore

fvb

Activity: 1470
Merit: 13

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 04:15:21 PM

This is a really serious topic.  You must be careful with all these applications.  I try not to do a bounty job where the conditions are to download the wallet.  Now there are a lot of them.  I write down the keys and save to the memory card.  Good luck to all and be careful.

⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣     C O M B O     ⬣    ⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣    ⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣⬣
A leading provider of scaling solutions for Web3 game developers
|      Twitter      |    Telegram    |     Discord     |     Medium     |      GitHub      |
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 1208

#SWGT CERTIK Audited

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2019, 04:21:04 PM

If you do not know how to check their application and don't have enough security on your computer I highly advise that you don't download that app, it's too risky you never what's going to happen, and you are not sure if the bounty is legit or not, for all you know it's another scam project.

chriseasan
Copper Member

Activity: 224
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 04:35:14 PM

Some scam projects were already caught on fishing apps, but it is nowadays pretty difficult to find out if an app is harmful for your data or not. Thanks for the articles, I will definitely read them to protect my phone from fraud apps.
Eadefemi

Activity: 276
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 04:48:03 PM

Thanks for this tip. The strategy scammers come with these days is really baffling. I stumped on a bounty just that required not just downloading their wallet but the wallet asked for permission to my phone contacts and all. I don't know why that should be so. And funny enough, it's imposed on hunters to sown load such wallets to receive rewards. One really needs to be careful on bounty hunting activities.
cepot9

Activity: 1050
Merit: 102

Cryptocurrency addict | Invest at your own risk.

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 05:17:20 PM

This is good, I forgot about the security of the wallet application that must be installed on a smartphone or PC because all this time I have installed several project wallet applications and fortunately they are safe. maybe their wallet application is also important to help the project develop
emberbekas
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 06:14:26 PM

Thanks for this tip. The strategy scammers come with these days is really baffling. I stumped on a bounty just that required not just downloading their wallet but the wallet asked for permission to my phone contacts and all. I don't know why that should be so. And funny enough, it's imposed on hunters to sown load such wallets to receive rewards. One really needs to be careful on bounty hunting activities.

In the past, usually I would be very selective when dealing with bounty that require us to download wallet applications made by the team, especially  windows application. True, there are many ways that bad people do to benefit from the lack of awareness of others. So we have to be very cautious.

pdutta
Copper Member

Activity: 616
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2019, 06:19:44 PM

Some of bounties required to download apps, that apps ask permissions such as contacts, camera, location and other permissions. I usually avoid to participate in such bounties that requires to download their app.

●   TOKPIE   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  GET ETHEREUM FOR YOUR BOUNTY STAKES  ❱❱❱❱❱❱   
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  instantly & regularly  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Stargazer

Activity: 641
Merit: 253

▰▰▰ Global Cryptocurrency Paymen

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 06:41:57 PM

Some of bounties required to download apps, that apps ask permissions such as contacts, camera, location and other permissions. I usually avoid to participate in such bounties that requires to download their app.

Good decision to avoid those bounties but yet some good bounty like CyberMiles, Nestree asked to download their app too and these projects are very much good. CyberMiles is popular crypto and Nestree is a new project but this has potential! I do participate in these bounties because I feel they are real. So, the better decision is to use a hardware wallet and keep your private keys on paper wallet instead of mobile! otherwise, after registered in bounty, uninstall the app and delete cache files and download the app again when you reach at their paying time!

hell_slayer

Activity: 728
Merit: 139

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2019, 06:52:44 PM

The security of the device from which you are accessing your crypto wallet must be prioritized. There is always a chance that with the app required for bounty you will install a trojan and hackers will steal everything from your device. It is better to use a virtual OS to install potentially malware apps , this will help to keep your funds safe
CryptoIyke
Copper Member

Activity: 308
Merit: 1

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2019, 07:10:00 PM

I do no longer participate in any of such that requires download, majority of them are waste of time, space and resources. One of them that I had participated in the past known as speedcoin app, it occupied space on my phone for more than six months without any obvious user that I had to uninstal it

Lizzylove1

Activity: 858
Merit: 13

Christ The King

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 07:20:42 PM
Last edit: July 23, 2019, 07:40:49 PM by Lizzylove1

Thanks so much for this information. I hate it when I am required to download app as a requirement for bounty participation or payment. How many Apps will I continue to download?

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
July 23, 2019, 07:20:51 PM

Sometimes these download requirements come in after the campaign is over like what happened with me during Persona campaign and HDAC too. They did not make it clear whether they will need a wallet and since I was already hacked due to downloading a phishing wallet and lost 0.05 BTC, I don't join campaigns that do not have ERC20 tokens. Some even say the tokens will be Ether based but they change it in the end making excuses.

nutriagrigia

Activity: 1270
Merit: 254

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
July 23, 2019, 08:06:04 PM

I do no longer participate in any of such that requires download, majority of them are waste of time, space and resources. One of them that I had participated in the past known as speedcoin app, it occupied space on my phone for more than six months without any obvious user that I had to uninstal it
the biggest problem is not that such applications occupied space on your phone, but that such applications can be dangerous for your data

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
    █
█████
Ucy

Activity: 2576
Merit: 402

View Profile
July 24, 2019, 01:42:01 PM

I guess people should have a special laptops/mobiles phone for using trusted wallets applications. If an application is not well reviewed by trusted people or communities, then don't mix it with your trusted applications.
The other alternatives is using it on virtual machine on thesame computer or the using it ib different account on your computer
laskybok

Activity: 315
Merit: 2

View Profile
August 10, 2019, 09:57:03 PM

Most of the times, I see malicious links sent to telegram groups and they have their ways in which they lure people with their enticing words.
Also, most projects that demand that apps should be downloaded, do not last long and  do not end up well as thought, except for few ones, so why then should one download them.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: