Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:59:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: In 10 years from now a quantum computer  (Read 693 times)
pixie85

Activity: 2142
Merit: 524

View Profile
July 26, 2019, 11:01:35 PM

I read a lot of the article on this topic and it seems to me that a quantum computer will work in full force in 5 years.

And I don't think it will be this fast. When there were first Moon landings people were saying that a colonization of the Moon is just a few years ahead of us and then we will launch missions to other planets of the Solar System. We are decades later and there are no Moon bases or manned missions to Mars.

Many years will pass between the first prototype and a fully functioning quantum computer.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
July 27, 2019, 02:37:27 AM

You forgot Satoshi's 1000000 bitcoins that have newer been moved, but still have their public keys visible.

Those addresses are difficult to protect from QC, because even if we implement a QC-resistant algorithm, those can't be protected or otherwise even Satoshi couldn't move them.

Actually once you soft fork to add the quantum resistant code, you might also add something to keep those coins locked forever. Something along the lines of: By the date the new code activates, coins not moved to a new wallet that supports it become locked.

we've had these discussions before and the consensus (i think) is that it's not ethical to steal/lock satoshi's coins. bitcoin users never opted into a rule system where their outputs would be forcibly locked after a certain time. i understand the motives to do it but a fork like that would definitely split the network. it's too politically contentious. it would be a different story if the protocol were designed that way from the start.

i'm sure we'll eventually fork to a quantum resistant signature scheme but the fork won't do anything to stop vulnerable coins from being spent. those coins will eventually be stolen over time.

Janation

Activity: 1722
Merit: 528

View Profile
July 27, 2019, 03:01:54 AM

It is a problem if we have quantum computers now, but no, it is still that early that we don't need to think about it by now.

I don't think developers will just let destroy Bitcoin like that, obviously, they will be ready when the quantum computers are already up. I mean I agree with some of the posts here to use and play with it because damn! Ready Players One will not be a sci-fi movie or a dream anymore.
Spaffin

Activity: 1316
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2019, 01:50:56 PM

It is a problem if we have quantum computers now, but no, it is still that early that we don't need to think about it by now.

I don't think developers will just let destroy Bitcoin like that, obviously, they will be ready when the quantum computers are already up. I mean I agree with some of the posts here to use and play with it because damn! Ready Players One will not be a sci-fi movie or a dream anymore.
Why there are suggestions that a quantum computer will be able to destroy the cryptocurrency?  What are the prerequisites for this?  In my opinion, if computer technology changes, then cryptocurrency technologies will also be improved.

FXBOX    [TelegramTwitter ]  ▞  GAMEFI  ◼  NFT  ◼  DEFI  ◼  CURRENCY TRADING
██████████████████  PLAY 2 EARN FINANCIAL GAMES  ██████████████████
INVESTINGTRADINGLOTTERYMARKET PREDICTIONS     ◖ READ MORE
Argoo

Activity: 2268
Merit: 225

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
July 27, 2019, 04:56:12 PM

Why there are suggestions that a quantum computer will be able to destroy the cryptocurrency?  What are the prerequisites for this?  In my opinion, if computer technology changes, then cryptocurrency technologies will also be improved.
Write that quantum computers will be able to crack any digital codes in a very short time, including picking up the keys to our wallets for cryptocurrency. Therefore, it would be more correct to point out that quantum computers will not destroy a cryptocurrency, but will make it defenseless. Of course, it remains to hope for the emergence of new technologies of protection or fundamental changes in the secret keys from the wallets of our cryptocurrency.

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
qubitasic

Activity: 48
Merit: 1

View Profile
August 01, 2019, 02:43:11 PM

We will have a quantum secure network. That is not an issue, but the 'shalecoins', coins with no owner, will become active. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5134441.0

And that will be the most challenging thing. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5166180.0
drotika

Activity: 10
Merit: 6

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2019, 04:01:42 PM

The Q System One is a beautiful piece of engineering, but the quantum computing future is still a way off (by IBM
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2019, 04:26:35 PM

We will have a quantum secure network. That is not an issue, but the 'shalecoins', coins with no owner, will become active. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5134441.0

And that will be the most challenging thing. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5166180.0

So i guess those will belong to those willing to invest in quantum computing, which is still so far much more expensive than any potential gains...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2019, 05:09:39 PM

i believe that in 10 years bitcoin will no longer be minable (they will be finished), maybe we will all undermine bitcoincash or monero, however so much power makes an impression...

Mine-able yes, profitable no. There will always be a group of hobbyists willing to mine for fun, or with "free" (renewable?) energy available to do so. Also the asics are getting even more efficient, so Cannan's idea of embedding a few asic chips in common household appliances will return. Yeah, your smart fridge/ac/router/tv/heater/whatever might have 1~10 THs, why not?

Its like getting one of those usb mining sticks and plug it permanently into your "smart" tv, just because you want to help the community and it doesn't make you go bankrupt anyway.

I know i will probably get into that group, with a node as well, because its one way i can help and thank Bitcoin, for letting me eat today, when the politicians and institutions stole our wealth and nobody else cared.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print