Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:12:30 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: altcoins are all dying  (Read 11141 times)
crocko

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

'All that glitters is not gold'

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 12:26:47 PM

pretty much , all clone coins with no real dev teams are dying and they should be.

+1 add all coins with no real sustainable projects too

Find my posts helpful? Click my Trust link and rep me!
BTC: 1MqUxoDQE8Q88sDvoaLMbBJSMToSfPgKSy  DOGE: D61Na9wjuneAn9GFLRNrHgWHHFwVfd1T7y  LTC: 3Luo136zrqkCi53jT72FEY52GbwW1ZYi6X
StuffOfInterest

Activity: 401
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 01:38:45 PM

Unless a coin comes along with a fundamentally different model I don't see any of the altcoins rising up to the BTC/LTC level.  Most are just junk done by one or a few developers cloning the Bitcoin wallet and then trying to pump their own product.  Some at least try new algos to try and thwart the ASIC swarm but I have yet to see anything doing something fundamentally different.

I have a few ideas of my own of what should go into a truly different coin but I never seem to have time to start writing up a decent summary.

BExR exchange rates on your phone's home screen.
Miner Control to get auto algorithm switching for multiple mining services. (please donate if you like)
Could Proof of Blockchain (PoBC) help secure a coin and avoid runaway ASIC mining?
HarryPotterCoin

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:27:30 AM

Right.. if all altcoins are just made for minting and trading, all will die finally.
jacastro

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 11:18:33 AM

Unless a coin comes along with a fundamentally different model I don't see any of the altcoins rising up to the BTC/LTC level.  Most are just junk done by one or a few developers cloning the Bitcoin wallet and then trying to pump their own product.  Some at least try new algos to try and thwart the ASIC swarm but I have yet to see anything doing something fundamentally different.

I have a few ideas of my own of what should go into a truly different coin but I never seem to have time to start writing up a decent summary.

Which alt coin has the most potential in your opinion? Or should we just keep LTC/BTC only?
newuser01

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 11:32:11 AM

Which alt coin has the most potential in your opinion? Or should we just keep LTC/BTC only?

Fluttercoin, proof of transaction.

First coin in awhile that actually brings something new to the table
flipme

Activity: 2170
Merit: 640

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 11:56:12 AM

The consumer couldn't care less how a coin is constructed.

Whats missing are real world applications, ready for the mass market.
Almost all devs are out there for the quick buck. Thats ok, understandable.

What I don't understand is why even those who made millions, don't throw some money at innovative new software and services.
They ALL act like the average successful FIAT tycoon after they made it.
Sitting on the big pile growing a fat ass, and FEAR loosing only 1 coin of worth for innovation.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
lynn_402

Activity: 462
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:24:20 PM

Right.. if all altcoins are just made for minting and trading, all will die finally.

Thankfully some have other applications; like Dogecoin. Indeed those who don't, won't prosper.
It's funny reading this OP a few weeks later when alts are still very much alive and growing.
TrollboxChamp

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:30:21 PM

Blackcoin and Asiacoin are thriving!

Low cost mining solutions are the future.

POS will rule the alt-coin landscape. No sense in wasting power and creating more bitcoin power death spirals.
lynn_402

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 01:40:10 PM

POS will rule the alt-coin landscape. No sense in wasting power and creating more bitcoin power death spirals.

Indeed, many coins have proved by now that PoS is viable, and perhaps even more secure than Bitcoin. There's really no sense in building a currency based around mining anymore. However, I think Peercoin has the best model, since the initial PoW phase which will last as long as Peercoin is not a bigger competitor to Bitcoin, encourages a better distribution, imo.
rippleme

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 02:07:01 PM

If AltCoins are dying, even though I think some are still doing pretty well, it's because there are so many new coins that it's becoming a joke!
My 2 cents.  Cheesy
dadon
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 02:20:57 PM

Fluttercoin, proof of transaction.

First coin in awhile that actually brings something new to the table
Darkcoin brings many new things to the table....
coin-table

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:18:06 PM

... 546 coins indexed on http://crypto-coins-table.com today ...

115 coins over the last 30 days

http://crypto-coins-table.com/index.php?var_action=filter_set&var_filter=new30d

Stellar Lumens an easy introduction - https://stellarkitty.com
Rumhurius
Legendary

Activity: 1672
Merit: 1046

Here we go again

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:42:29 PM

Next , Blackcoin, Flutter had atleast some new ideas in it.

I really liked Nxt with new the Pos system.
But its Fubar to the Max.
I hold >200k nxt and forging takes forever and i receive 1 coin ?
this is just a joke.

Next big thing i really looking forward to is NEM.
I hope they dont redo the forging disaster from Nxt.

I think the Doge Community is pretty loyal , so doge can survive too and become more n more relevant.

All this Copycat, Country and shitcoins can die.
I dont care.

durrrr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:59:11 PM

i dont believe that so many coins are what is making the market so bear. the so many coins is rediculous and cryptsy doesnt help by adding every new coin that pops up .

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:04:18 PM

115 coins over the last 30 days is not sustainable.
How soon will it slow down?

lynn_402

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:13:14 PM

It is slowing down Smiley
Two months ago, the less popular coins easily had market caps nearing 100000$. Now, if you look at http://coinmarketcap.com/2.html, you can see there's a lot of them with market caps in the thousands of $ and some even less. And it lists only the 250 most popular ones.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:24:05 PM

It is slowing down Smiley
Two months ago, the less popular coins easily had market caps nearing 100000$. Now, if you look at http://coinmarketcap.com/2.html, you can see there's a lot of them with market caps in the thousands of $ and some even less. And it lists only the 250 most popular ones.

That's a good point. At some point they lose viability and mining drops to nothing and the coin dies. This will accelerate once ASICs (like the Titan) hit, concentrating mining among a much smaller pool of miners as thousands of GPU miners (like myself) drop out. A small number of miners, with a more intense interest in good financial decisions because of their capital investment, means a pretty strong reduction in the number of altcoins. Still dozens, maybe more than a hundred, and still room for good quality rollouts of new coins with some real innovation. But I expect the list of active cryptocurrencies to be smaller by the end of the year - with a ton of them lying dead along the way.

I'm looking forward to it, because I'm invested in a few of the more viable ones (Blackcoin, Mintcoin, Pesetacoin, etc.), and their value is diluted amidst the flood.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
lamontweaver

Activity: 85

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2014, 06:35:15 PM

Some altcoins are dying and others are blooming.

voluntarist500

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:21:20 PM

the good thing is: the more coins are out already the less the diluting impact of new ones will be. If you have 100 coins and 10 new come in it may be an issue but if you have 1500 coins and 10 new come in you will not notice it so much.
So the flood will hurt less and less. Everything will be fine.

altcoin with very low inflation, active community, no premine, fair distro and secure network: exactly what you want to invest in? Support Unobtanium
dogechode

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 07:23:33 PM

the good thing is: the more coins are out already the less the diluting impact of new ones will be. If you have 100 coins and 10 new come in it may be an issue but if you have 1500 coins and 10 new come in you will not notice it so much.
So the flood will hurt less and less. Everything will be fine.

Unless the flood grows exponentially. It sure seems to me like more shitcoins are coming out now than ever before. Keep in mind a lot of people have invested in hardware to run mining farms, pools, multipools, etc and they have a vested interest in new coins coming out to keep mining alive.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: