Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:53:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin subscriptions  (Read 8970 times)
Anonymous

July 16, 2010, 01:28:24 PM

Is there a way to implement subscription payments using bitcoin?

Say you would like to donate once a month to your favourite charity or content provider such as a podcast without having to remember to manually process the payment?

One less reason to use a credit card!
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
July 16, 2010, 01:41:04 PM

Unix and Mac and Windows all have ways of scheduling recurring tasks (Linux: crontab, Mac: crontab, or I think iCal can do it, Windows... I dunno).

So if you're a little bit geeky, you could arrange for "bitcoin sendtoaddress 1mJMYFAVORITECHARITY9R4 amount" to get run once a month.  (just run bitcoin with the -server flag).

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Strofcon

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2010, 02:10:53 PM

I haven't had much luck finding all the options that can be passed to bitcoin/bitcoind when it's run... -connect, -addnode, and -server are the ones I've seen so far. Are there others?
What exactly does -server do? Also, it seems that -connect and -addnode have pretty similar functionality... My best guess is that -connect is to force only one explicit connection to be made, whereas -addnode just says "make all the connections you want, but by golly you better connect to <IP>, if nothing else." Is that at least close to right? Smiley
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12972

View Profile
July 16, 2010, 06:44:35 PM

Try "bitcoin -?" for a list.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
EricJ2190

Activity: 134
Merit: 102

View Profile
July 16, 2010, 06:51:43 PM

Windows... I dunno

Windows has Task Scheduler, or you can use of one various cron clones.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 22, 2010, 06:43:03 AM

IMO, the bitcoin client should have a subscription manager.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 23, 2010, 01:18:35 AM

-1 for now.

I think keeping the vanilla client as plain as possible is a good thing. These things can easily be implemented in other clients, but the one on this site should serve as a sort of "reference". We should also focus on the JSON-RPC API so that other clients can interface with this one instead of having to modify it.

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
nenolod

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 23, 2010, 05:00:35 AM

IMO, the bitcoin client should have a subscription manager.

i've never used the ui client, but if the linux client exposed itself via dbus, you could write your own subscription manager.

alternatively, put this in your crontab:

0 0 0 0 */1 bitcoin -server sendtoaddress whatever amount-in-btc

this will invoke bitcoin from the commandline and send the money.
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
July 23, 2010, 05:25:24 AM

i've never used the ui client, but if the linux client exposed itself via dbus, you could write your own subscription manager.

alternatively, put this in your crontab:

0 0 0 0 */1 bitcoin -server sendtoaddress whatever amount-in-btc

Sure, I can do this.  But the supposition and suggestion were more general.

If bitcoins are to be successful, there needs to be a subscription system accessible to Aunt Tillie.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
lachesis

Activity: 210
Merit: 104

View Profile
July 26, 2010, 02:43:50 AM

If bitcoins are to be successful, there needs to be a subscription system accessible to Aunt Tillie.
This belongs outside the main client. There's no reason you can't write a trivial system in Python or something, but there's also no reason to clutter up my Bitcoin client with that.

I wonder if there's any viable way to make a simple extension system for Bitcoin? It seems like it would be a lot of work...

Bitcoin Calculator | Scallion | GPG Key | WoT Rating | 1QGacAtYA7E8V3BAiM7sgvLg7PZHk5WnYc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: