Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:11:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why .IO is popular in crypto websites than .COM ?  (Read 309 times)
Japinat

Activity: 2968
Merit: 680

View Profile
August 12, 2019, 12:13:40 PM

Honestly, I though io are for Russians projects because most the bounty I joined in the past are run by Russians.
When I saw the thread, it really interest me and I found out I was wrong with what I believe.

Forgive me, I'm not a Techy guy and I don't have website on my own.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2019, 03:02:23 PM

Russia is a big nation in IT, and in blockchain technology, but it is not fair to say all or most of projects that have domain names with .io at the end come from Russia.
Why do you not check it there?
https://who.is/
Maybe you will find some basic information you want on your interest domains.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16596

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2019, 03:20:02 PM

I asked this question to a crypto site's Admin a couple years back. He said .io is popular with developers because not much names had been taken yet.

That off course also instantly gives a problem: if you're using a .io website, people can still accidentally try to find you at .com. Just like you need to buy .eu, .net, .org and several other common names if you want to prevent easy phishing attacks.

tbct_mt2

Activity: 2310
Merit: 835

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2019, 03:29:24 PM

I asked this question to a crypto site's Admin a couple years back. He said .io is popular with developers because not much names had been taken yet.

That off course also instantly gives a problem: if you're using a .io website, people can still accidentally try to find you at .com. Just like you need to buy .eu, .net, .org and several other common names if you want to prevent easy phishing attacks.
It means at beginnings, developers tend to choose .io for their sites, because they are mostly available, and cheap (?). Then, if developers actually have good dedication and put decent efforts to build up their platforms to become big ones. After years (assumed they take years to build up good platforms); they come back to buy domains with .com, .eu. etc. Unfortunately, when their sites are famous, and valuable, other domains they want to buy suddenly pumped in value. Like what we saw with blockchain.info and blockchain.com.
Raja_MBZ
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1505

View Profile
August 12, 2019, 09:06:12 PM

TBH, it's all about "trends". Many, many domain extensions have tried in the past to replace ".com" (dot com) and they all remained in a trend for some nice amount of time; however, dot com has always survived and outclassed them all repeatedly. Moreover, there's more of a "show-off" element involved in almost every new start-ups out there than the "cheaper extension" element. Generally, dot com is cheaper than dot io across all major domain name providers (Godaddy, NameCheap, etc), but interestingly, most people (especially the ones who're struggling with a new start-up) who think that they're "over-smart", try to go with the brand new shorter domain name (dot io, dot co, etc), even when the dot com version of the same name is available. I know about a few cases (and they were all start-ups) which started with a better-than-dot-com domain name and later migrated to dot com due to lack of SEO, lack of visitors' interaction with the website, etc.

It means investors have reasons to doubt about reliability of projects that run their sites on domain names with .io, .info, etc.

I'm not sure if someone around has witnessed the growth (and downfall) of paid-to-click industry (talking about the years 2005 to 2015), but I think that those who have witnessed it will still care about the domain name extension of the website before risking their valuable time (and in some cases, the funds) on the websites. I remember that in the years 2013-2015, a lot of PTC websites (which were literally run by 14-year-old kids) were popping up and due to lack of pocket-money, they were all going for a very cheap "dot info" domain name, which had a couple of bucks registration charges (and in some cases, it was even less than a buck, excluding that 18 cents ICANN fee). Resultantly, people stopped being interested at all in those dot info/dot tk platforms and were all considered as "child-owned" websites. I think that if BTC dominance continues to grow and alts continue to shrink, then we might get to see the kids popping up in crypto-industry and cloning the alts with a negligible budget. If that day comes, I'm sure that those kids will be then looking for those "under-a-buck" domain names again, and newcomers will have to stay away from those projects!

P.S. in those days, dot co domain name was considered to be rich (& a better/shorter version of dot com) and people used to trust the website using it more as compared to the websites using other extensions. So IMO, dot io is the new dot co these days.

.com is so 90's.

.io is for companies of the new millennium - internet organizations!

Hmmm... well, quite sure that my grandpa still thinks that all websites end up with .com extension (only). Roll Eyes
terizla (OP)

Activity: 555
Merit: 271

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2019, 01:23:26 AM

-snip
Their price is expensive because their website is already popular and grow right now.
Is just like a Bitcoin, in 2009 their price is under $1 then you can see now. More than $10000 because Bitcoin is popular right now.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: