Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:19:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Special Auction for 5x Denarium Bitcoin Decennium 2019 Gold Bars  (Read 2376 times)
geophphreigh
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1058

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 12:28:17 AM
Merited by minerjones (3), krogothmanhattan (1)

When you post a bid, the bids in your previous posts are considered to be automatically canceled. You can put multiple bids in one post, however.
- If two people bid at the same price, the person who bid first will be first in line to win a bar.
- Bids are considered invalid and will be ignored if they do not specify the price of the bid and the number of bars (if it is more than one bar) the bidder is bidding for, or if they could not possibly win any slots.

I understand what you are saying, but it makes no sense.
The definition of an auction is "a public sale in which goods or property are sold to the highest bidder." So any lower bid is automatically invalid, based on the definition of an auction.  You even stated in the OP that a bid is invalid if it could not possibly win a slot. I don't think you need to explicitly forbid a lower bid as it would be invalid. It seems that once someone bid lower than their original bid, their original bid should have still stood, and the new bid would have been valid for a second slot if it beat one of the other existing bids. It doesn't replace an existing winning bid at a lower price. It does not seem that the auction rules in this or others were fundamentally flawed, just not applied correctly to the bids placed in this case? I'm just trying to understand better.

Where is kebab77's 0.8 BTC bid?

Invalidated by his newer, lower bids. Technically the rules don't deny overriding higher bids with lower bids, so this can happen. We might change the rules for future auctions, didn't really think of this before as it hasn't been an issue. rsincognito did it first though, and kebab77 simply followed through to not pay too much of a premium.

I just don't understand how a lower bid could override a higher bid ever in an auction. I may be crazy, but that is what an auction is. It does not need to be stated in the rules, that's what it is. rsincognito and kebab77's "newer, lower bids" should not have invalidated their higher bids, but stood as new bids if they beat any other existing bids, otherwise they are by definition invalid. Simply having higher bid does not mean they are "paying a premium" it means they have a better chance of winning the auction. Maybe they are willing to pay more to get their choice of numbered bar?  Again, I am just so confused and trying to understand better. I'll quit beating the horse.
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 12:43:13 AM

From the rules perspective it's quite simple really:

"When you post a bid, the bids in your previous posts are considered to be automatically canceled."

This means you can make new bids that will invalidate your old bids (as long as the new bids are valid!)

"Bids are considered invalid and will be ignored if they do not specify the price of the bid and the number of bars (if it is more than one bar) the bidder is bidding for, or if they could not possibly win any slots."

The new bids were valid as they could still win slots. Not necessarily the same slots as before, but they could still win slots. Thus they replaced the old bids.

I really wish it were not so, as I think we lost some money on this "exploit". But when this happened we checked the rules and it is quite clear it is a valid move to change a bid to a lower amount as long as you can still win slots with it. We thought it was a bit ridiculous as was evident by how the auction started behaving, then changed the rules to get a handle on it.

Note that such a situation is not possible in single-item auctions. This can only happen in an auction with multiple slots, otherwise the rules would have invalidated making a new bid that is lower. This can of course be fixed with a simple rule change going forward.

And no, we have never before changed rules in the middle of an auction nor is it going to become a habit. This was an extreme situation where we had to make a call between cancelling the whole auction and changing the rules, and we went with the latter. I think everyone actually bidding in the auction were fine with how we chose to handle it.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
anonymousminer
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1242

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 01:03:45 AM

Shitty practice.... period.  On both the bidders for taking advantage of it and you most of all for allowing it.  This thread is nauseating and the more you talk, the more of a tool you come across as.  For me, I’ll never buy another Denarium piece.  
geophphreigh
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1058

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 01:05:53 AM

I appreciate your strict adherence to the rules you set forth. I agree with you that you lost out on this auction with initial bids almost twice what the final sale was for. I still disagree. The rule that a new bid cancels an older existing bid is there to ensure a person is not held accountable for two separate bids when they intended only one. An auction fundamentally can not go backwards in price, even with your rules.  Those new lower bids should have never been valid bids, unless if intended for a second item. If people don't know how an auction works at a basic level, they shouldn't be bidding and/or trying to manipulate the auction or seller. This format can be and has been implemented on this forum successfully without issue.
Ramelius

Activity: 857
Merit: 28

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 01:32:57 AM
Merited by krogothmanhattan (1)

I agree. I was bidding and left the auction when the price went above what I was willing to bid. I didn’t expect to come back later and see the winning bids lower ....
Agrawas

Activity: 1736
Merit: 501

https://rollbit.com/referral/Agrawas

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 01:40:46 AM

"When you post a bid, the bids in your previous posts are considered to be automatically canceled."

Scenario

5 BTC Cas coin comes for auction

Bidder 1 bids 1BTC
Bidder 2 bids 2BTC
Bidder 3 bids 7.5BTC

Everyone lost hope for winning and unfollow the thread

Last few secs/mins Bidder 3 bids 2.5BTC and won the auction..

What kinda rule is that? The 2nd bid from the same bidder cancels the first bid.

In reality it has happened a lot andw hen people bid .2 instead of .02 or some like but they publicly asks to cancel the the bid since they made a typo or something and which is perfectly fine since everyone undesstands and ever the sellers point out those mistakes for the bidders sometimes.. ..

Agrawas

Activity: 1736
Merit: 501

https://rollbit.com/referral/Agrawas

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 01:41:49 AM

I agree. I was bidding and left the auction when the price went above what I was willing to bid. I didn’t expect to come back later and see the winning bids lower ....

I just typed in the exact same scenario above and that actually made few of us lost hope in the auction..

Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2954
Merit: 1752

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 03:22:46 AM

Is the weight of 1 toz stamped anywhere on these bars?  It is not evident in the photos best I can tell.

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 03:26:28 AM

Why is there 4 9's on the front and 3 9s on the side.....HuhHuh  what TOOL would authorize that for minting...HuhHuh
lebnor

Activity: 493
Merit: 12

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 03:31:38 AM
Last edit: September 05, 2019, 05:41:10 AM by lebnor

Shitty practice.... period.  On both the bidders for taking advantage of it and you most of all for allowing it.  This thread is nauseating and the more you talk, the more of a tool you come across as.  For me, I’ll never buy another Denarium piece.  
This was a very strange auction indeed. To be clear,  The minute Technomage validated a lower bid, I sent a pm asking him how he could possibly validate a lower bid  Huh After he explained why, I was shocked but like ok whatever.. So I followed his rules. I’ve never been put in that situation before but simply wanted to pay lowest amount..
BG4
Legendary

PaperSafe

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 03:44:55 AM

From the rules perspective it's quite simple really:

This means you can make new bids that will invalidate your old bids (as long as the new bids are valid!)

"Bids are considered invalid and will be ignored if they do not specify the price of the bid and the number of bars (if it is more than one bar) the bidder is bidding for, or if they could not possibly win any slots."

The new bids were valid as they could still win slots. Not necessarily the same slots as before, but they could still win slots. Thus they replaced the old bids.

I really wish it were not so, as I think we lost some money on this "exploit". But when this happened we checked the rules and it is quite clear it is a valid move to change a bid to a lower amount as long as you can still win slots with it. We thought it was a bit ridiculous as was evident by how the auction started behaving, then changed the rules to get a handle on it.

Note that such a situation is not possible in single-item auctions. This can only happen in an auction with multiple slots, otherwise the rules would have invalidated making a new bid that is lower. This can of course be fixed with a simple rule change going forward.

And no, we have never before changed rules in the middle of an auction nor is it going to become a habit. This was an extreme situation where we had to make a call between cancelling the whole auction and changing the rules, and we went with the latter. I think everyone actually bidding in the auction were fine with how we chose to handle it.

Who is WE......  
jackbauercsgo
Copper Member

Activity: 507
Merit: 118

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 04:31:18 AM

yikes, what a mess.... glad I've steered clear of Denarium auctions... so many issues
pk1978

Activity: 64
Merit: 13

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 05:38:12 AM

wow, yeah, its kind a mess indeed. Sad

@Technomage: Wondering guys, how much it will be sold for on the website please?
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 11:20:11 AM

Is the weight of 1 toz stamped anywhere on these bars?  It is not evident in the photos best I can tell.

It's not there. The bars are exactly 1oz though, but it's not printed in the bar.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 11:21:58 AM

Why is there 4 9's on the front and 3 9s on the side.....HuhHuh  what TOOL would authorize that for minting...HuhHuh

The bars are .9999 gold and this has been certified by the independent lab we use for verification (Labtium). The problem is they don't have a .9999 stamp, they only have a .999 stamp. But they provide a certificate which confirms the .9999 purity, and we can provide a copy of that certificate to any buyers if needed.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 11:23:15 AM

Who is WE......  

WE = Denarium. I'm co-founder & Chairman of Prasos which is the company that operates Denarium.

Technomage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2019, 11:25:00 AM

@Technomage: Wondering guys, how much it will be sold for on the website please?

The product is already on sale at our website: https://denarium.com/product/denarium-bitcoin-decennium-2019

Just as a tip to potential buyers, it is possible to reserve specific bars when buying. If they are available of course, some have been bought already.

selffish

Activity: 208
Merit: 11

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 11:59:01 AM

The product is already on sale at our website: https://denarium.com/product/denarium-bitcoin-decennium-2019

Just as a tip to potential buyers, it is possible to reserve specific bars when buying. If they are available of course, some have been bought already.

Really hard prices. Gold worth 1.4k..
Nice Item good luck
pk1978

Activity: 64
Merit: 13

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 12:47:13 PM

thanks, did not see it.

Well, its 0.25 BTC, so, indeed the winner of this mess is lebnor (no disrespect to him). Changing the 0.43 btc bid down to 0.29 btc and grabbing a limited edition piece for only 0.04 over the ordinary edition's price was a nice catch.

hehe, I am a slightly bitter as my budget was 0.4 BTC for this piece but stopped following when I saw all prices are over it.

better luck next time, lol
BG4
Legendary

PaperSafe

View Profile
September 05, 2019, 01:20:54 PM

Who is WE......  

WE = Denarium. I'm co-founder & Chairman of Prasos which is the company that operates Denarium.

Funny how Kebaba77's.   only posts .......are for your auctions..

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: