Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:27:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Manipulator manipulating on an unprecedented level  (Read 5533 times)
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 12:14:15 PM

I think I've got it all wrong.
 I was thinking that the Manipulator is a guy with lots and lots of funds but never crossed my mind that it could be some kind of organization with pocket change.

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 12:18:21 PM

The only thing "the manipulator" wants is for the price to go down. There is no profit motivation in the way that he sells.

He sells on Sunday night/Monday morning knowing that most MtGox accounts do not get filled after the weekend until Monday evening.

If it was someone wanting to drop their BTC they would wait until during the week and drop in small portions when the price is high and people have cash in their accounts.

Makes me think of something someone mentioned where they had a conversation with an NSA friend of theirs who said that Bitcoin would be gone in 2 years. The government already does market manipulation, they would not need much to destroy Bitcoin from a financial perspective.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 12:22:00 PM

Can we calculate how much coins the 'mystery miner' would possess?

I still think someone just wanted to cash out and just didn't care.

Makes perfect sense to me.
phelix
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:02:59 PM

@Revalin: thanks for sharing your analysis! very interesting.

it would be interesting to have an up to date graph like that on bitcoinX...
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:05:26 PM

Heh, if it keeps dropping low enough, then someday maybe I can become "The Manipulator."  Wink

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:15:37 PM

The only thing "the manipulator" wants is for the price to go down. There is no profit motivation in the way that he sells.

He sells on Sunday night/Monday morning knowing that most MtGox accounts do not get filled after the weekend until Monday evening.

If it was someone wanting to drop their BTC they would wait until during the week and drop in small portions when the price is high and people have cash in their accounts.

Makes me think of something someone mentioned where they had a conversation with an NSA friend of theirs who said that Bitcoin would be gone in 2 years. The government already does market manipulation, they would not need much to destroy Bitcoin from a financial perspective.

Been saying this all along.

Get the price down enough so that nobody is profitable anymore -> miners quit -> difficulty drops -> system can be 51%ed very easily without $13 million etc. -> our wallets are wiped -> people lose confidence in the system -> no more problems with SR or other illegal things the gov. did not want you to buy.

proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1309

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:17:43 PM

Can we calculate how much coins the 'mystery miner' would possess?

I still think someone just wanted to cash out and just didn't care.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I think that's the most likely scenario.  We're just seeing very early adopters cashing out.  Remember, lots of those guys bought/mined when bitcoin was way below $1.  Selling at $3, $2.50, or even $1 will still yield tremendous profit.  I think we've got a lot more downside to go as more early adopters get out while they can still get a ridiculous return on their investment.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 02:36:04 PM

As I've said in past threads, apparently "the manipulator" = anyone with a substantially large sum of money.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Calling this guy (or group of guys) a manipulator is absolutely retarded because the goal of "making money" far outweighs any other incentive to manipulate the market.  If anyone else traded with the same large sums of money that were observed yesterday, they, too, would be called "manipulators."  Large sums of money move the market?  No shit?

Edit:  I'll allow a caveat for Gox manipulation.
Dan The Man

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 02:52:36 PM

You mean the post where the guy photoshopped "top secret" documents out of old Comicon posters?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=46000.0
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 03:02:49 PM

As I've said in past threads, apparently "the manipulator" = anyone with a substantially large sum of money.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Calling this guy (or group of guys) a manipulator is absolutely retarded because the goal of "making money" far outweighs any other incentive to manipulate the market.  If anyone else traded with the same large sums of money that were observed yesterday, they, too, would be called "manipulators."  Large sums of money move the market?  No shit?

Edit:  I'll allow a caveat for Gox manipulation.

Sounds like something a manipulator would say.  You can't fool me!  Grin

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
pent

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 04:37:58 PM

plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 04:44:33 PM

Hmmm sexy..... i want those lips on my dick

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
Revalin

Activity: 728

165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 11:43:03 PM

Get the price down enough so that nobody is profitable anymore -> miners quit -> difficulty drops -> system can be 51%ed very easily without $13 million etc. -> our wallets are wiped -> people lose confidence in the system -> no more problems with SR or other illegal things the gov. did not want you to buy.

A 51% attack doesn't let you steal wallets.  It only lets the attacker double spend their own coins.  Even then it's impractical to do in most cases.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Calling this guy (or group of guys) a manipulator is absolutely retarded because the goal of "making money" far outweighs any other incentive to manipulate the market.  .... Large sums of money move the market?  No shit?

Normally I agree with you.  In this case we have an individual who's placing some very large bids that go against obvious profit interest.  Short-term these moves are losing money in a big way.  He's either: 1) trying to help Bitcoin by propping up the price at his own expense; 2) trying to manipulate market sentiment for a risky long-term play; 3) a fool being parted from his money.

1 and 2 ARE manipulation.  3 is just business as usual except that we normally don't see a single person with that much money to burn.  Fools usually come in flocks.

(Picture of Mr. M)

I like the blue leather.  Black has been done to death.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.  --Ambrose Bierce
Bitcoin is the Devil's way of teaching geeks economics.  --Revalin 165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
MacMiner

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 02:51:28 AM

runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 04:53:10 PM

Anyone interested in looking at the specific trades that took place can take a look at my post here.
martychubbs

Activity: 742
Merit: 503

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 05:20:23 PM

Get the price down enough so that nobody is profitable anymore -> miners quit -> difficulty drops

If it is not profitable, bitcoin dies...

price instability kills the bitcoin economy...

GPU's have made the difficulty necessarily high to retard the number of bitcoins generated...so, you left off "gpu's no longer can be used to verify transactions"

I think you are wishing to go back to 1982 with Uncle Rico, cause he could have took state if coach would have left him in!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄████████████████████▄
     ▄██████████████▀█████████▄
   ▄███████████████   ██████████▄
  ▐█████████████████   ██████████▌
 ▐█████████████████▀    ██████████▌
 ███████████████▀        ██████████
▐████████████▀     ▄███   █████████▌
████████████    ▄████▀██▄███████████
██████████▀██▄████▀    █████████████
█████████   ███▀     ▄██████████████
▐█████████        ▄████████████████▌
 ██████████    ▄███████████████████
 ▐██████████   ███████████████████▌
  ▐██████████   █████████████████▌
   ▀██████████▄█████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████████████▀
       ▀████████████████████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

█
    ██
   ████
  ██▌███
 ▐██▌███▌
 ███ ██▀▌
 ▀██ █▄██
 █▄█ ███▀
 ▀██ ██▄█
 █▄█ ███▌
  ██▌███
  ▐█▌██
   ▐█▌
    █
    █
     ▀

░░██████
░░██████
░░██████

░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████
░░░░░░░░░░░██████

██████
██████
██████

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██████

▄▄██████▄▄
       ▐██▀    ▀██▌
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
       ██        ██
      ██████████████
      █████  ███████     ██ 
  ██  █  ████████  █ ██   
      ███████  █████    ██   
      ██████████████

▄██▄
▀██▀         ▄██▄
             ▀██▀

▄██▄
       ▀██▀

▄██▄
  ▄██▄     ▀██▀
  ▀██▀

▄▄█▄▄   ▄
█▄        ████████▀▄
███      █████████▀
▐███▄    ████████▌
▄▄█████▄▄▄███████▌
  ▀█████████████
  ▄▄██████████▀
    ▄████████▀
▀▀████████▀
    ▀▀▀

▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄
   ▐█▄████████████▄█▌
  ▐██████████████████▌
  █████▀▀▀████▀▀▀█████
 █████     ██     █████
▐██████▄▄▄████▄▄▄██████▌
 ████▄▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄████
  ▀▀████        ████▀▀
      ▀▀        ▀▀

█▀▀▄▄▄█▄
         █    ▀█▀
       ▄▄█▄▄
▄██▄▄████████▄▄██▄
█████▀▀████▀▀█████
 ███▄  ▄██▄  ▄███
  ▀████▀██▀████▀
    ▀███▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀▀

██ ██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██

██ ██

Homepage

██ ██

██ ██

██ ██ ██

██ ██ ██ ██

White Paper
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 06:57:16 PM

A 51% attack doesn't let you steal wallets.  It only lets the attacker double spend their own coins.  Even then it's impractical to do in most cases.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  Calling this guy (or group of guys) a manipulator is absolutely retarded because the goal of "making money" far outweighs any other incentive to manipulate the market.  .... Large sums of money move the market?  No shit?

Normally I agree with you.  In this case we have an individual who's placing some very large bids that go against obvious profit interest.  Short-term these moves are losing money in a big way.  He's either: 1) trying to help Bitcoin by propping up the price at his own expense; 2) trying to manipulate market sentiment for a risky long-term play; 3) a fool being parted from his money.

1 and 2 ARE manipulation.  3 is just business as usual except that we normally don't see a single person with that much money to burn.  Fools usually come in flocks.

(Picture of Mr. M)

I like the blue leather.  Black has been done to death.

I noticed  that too...the tendency to make irrational bids that "go against obvious profit interest" as you put it.

This is one reason I think Gox may be responsible.

Another explanation, which I think is also plausible, is that this person or group of persons has a large enough sum of money such that they would have no problem acting as a catalyst for a spike up to $10 or beyond.  Price is psychological and there are a lot of psychological reasons why a series of incredibly large buy orders could cause a panic buy mimicking characteristics of the value increase in June.

$30 wasn't that long ago and, being realistic, Bitcoin trading is currently a legal form of gambling and that is the main reason it is used.  Nobody would give a rats ass about Bitcoin if it didn't have the potential to help their financial situation, and the temptation of immediate rewards is oh-so-much-more emotionally satisfying than ideal, long-term goals.  If people see the price going up and going up fast, they will buy.  It won't matter at that point how many retailers there are or how much the value of BTC "should" be worth given current market conditions.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 07:34:52 PM

Why has no one proposed Dwolla's big release in businessweek as a possible motivator for the sell?

It seems logical: large startup comes out and says they are going to slay credit cards, and they actually have the infrastructure to do it. Kind of steals bitcoin's thunder, don't you think?
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:46:05 PM

Why has no one proposed Dwolla's big release in businessweek as a possible motivator for the sell?

It seems logical: large startup comes out and says they are going to slay credit cards, and they actually have the infrastructure to do it. Kind of steals bitcoin's thunder, don't you think?

Maybe they'll use bitcoin to implement it.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 11:50:08 PM

Maybe they'll use bitcoin to implement it.

^ Getting warmer? They certainly wouldn't use Bitcoin, though.

Conspiracy theory time: Consider the announcement date: December 15. Most students are on Christmas break -- like a mini summer vacation. What if they announce and release their own dollar backed cryptocoin for online microtransactions?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: