Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 04:31:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: It costs more to use bitcoin on bitpay than bitcoin cash  (Read 534 times)
figmentofmyass
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1483

View Profile
August 30, 2019, 07:26:42 PM

but the only way to use bitcoin on gyft is through bitpay. Wink

egifter is a better option for a couple reasons. unlike gyft, they still offer discounts. uber gift cards are 1% off and they also sell uber eats gift cards with a 2.5% discount. and if you really dislike bitpay, egifter also offers a 2nd option---netcents. i tried them once though and it wasn't a great experience. they didn't release the gift card until my payment had 6 confirmations.

Thanks for the tip guys, and I know I should probably vote more with my wallet and do stuff like switch to gyft or whatever... but the hassle of buying a card and then using it up puts me off.

But tell me, have they updated how gift cards work? Can you buy an exact amount now, say like for Uber eats, or do you get to keep unused balances?

not on gyft you can't. their cards only come on preset amounts. on egifter, you can buy the exact amount. i guess that's a 3rd reason to use egifter instead of gyft:
1. discounts ("egifter points" to apply at checkout)
2. you can use netcents instead of bitpay
3. you can specify exact amounts, down to the cent

one major caveat is that some of their gift cards are for USA only. so be careful to check the description before you buy.

Uber eats is okay in my place but more expensive to use for the transport. But I would use it if I could get say netcents and buy a card with an exact amount. The 6-confirmation wait means I have to plan my buy like what... an hour ahead? And god forbid someone changes their minds about their order in that time haha.

yep it's inconvenient. but at least with uber eats, gift cards are added to your account so you can just apply the unused balance to your next order. maybe just buy a card the day before so there's no headache waiting for confirmations.

PrimeNumber7
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899

Amazon Prime Member #7

View Profile
August 31, 2019, 03:04:56 AM

Yeah, I am a regular enough user of BitPay, unfortunately, because it's the only way I can use Bitcoin to order food (delivery), which happens at least once a week (sort of a tradition now and the kid gets a kick out of using Bitcoin).
Pro-tip - you can use sites like gyft to buy gift cards for Uber, which I would think also can get you uber eats, but I am not sure. You can also buy gift cards to various other restaurants.

but the only way to use bitcoin on gyft is through bitpay. Wink

<>
Upon some investigation, it appears you are correct. For some reason I thought that gyft received bitcoin directly, and actually kept a percentage of it
squatter
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1196

STOP SNITCHIN'

View Profile
August 31, 2019, 04:19:31 AM
Merited by PrimeNumber7 (1)

Upon some investigation, it appears you are correct. For some reason I thought that gyft received bitcoin directly, and actually kept a percentage of it

Maybe you were thinking of Overstock. That's the only company I've ever seen that disclosed holding onto bitcoin payments: OSTK to HODL: Overstock to Keep 50% of All Bitcoin Payments as Investments

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: