Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:22:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming Financially Free With Bitcoin  (Read 881 times)
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 8

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 10:09:20 AM
Last edit: August 30, 2019, 05:05:08 PM by FinanciallyFreeFox
Merited by Daffadile (5)

Everyone has a slightly different method for becoming financially free, based on their personality, skill-sets and appetite for risk.

I haven't come across many other BTC enthusiasts though that are using Bitcoin to become financially free, so I thought it might be interesting to share what I'm doing.

My plan, simply put is:

• Invest a % of my Income into BTC (£100,000 / $120,000) - I have almost completed this step
  • Wait for that investment to grow by 5-10x
  • Pull out my profit and invest into residential property
  • Live off the rental income (passive income will be £100,000 / $120,000 p/a)

That’s if it goes according to the plan I’ve detailed here: https://youtu.be/SiYc6ipKefQ  

Some may perceive my plan as extremely reckless.

I know I could potentially lose everything that I invest, but I’m prepared to take that risk, because in my mind the potential reward outweighs the potential risk.

If Bitcoin goes to 0, then it will be a major setback. It won’t ruin me, but it will take me two years to save up that money again (saving £50k from my £75k post tax income).

If it pays off, my route to financial freedom will be LIGHT YEARS faster than I could ever expect from property, gold, bonds, or investing in the stock market as a whole.

Although I fully understand the risk involved, I don’t see this as a gamble. I truly believe in Bitcoin as a technology. I’m willing to bet on something that I believe will have a positive impact on the world going into the future.

If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. That’s it. Start again.

But if I’m right, my life will change.

That’s really just a brief summary of my investment strategy (there is actually a bit more to it) - I’ve created a video, also linked to above, with a clearer explanation here: https://youtu.be/SiYc6ipKefQ

It would be interesting to hear if anyone is doing anything similar to this, and what peoples' thoughts are.
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18504

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 10:24:48 AM

My plan, simply put is:

• Invest a % of my Income into BTC (£100,000 / $120,000) - I have almost completed this step
I think it's great to have a long term plan set out prior to any major investment, and to have a goal you are aiming for. You should have a set price at which you want to cash out your bitcoin; too many people during the last bull run got greedy and just kept waiting and waiting for a higher price, and then ended up panic selling on the way down, often at a loss.

Having said that, I'm not sure I follow your numbers there. Even taking your higher growth target of x10, that gives you $1,200,000 to buy property with. A passive income of $120,000 is 10% of your property's (or properties') total value. On top of that you have to factor in taxes, legal fees, administration fees, insurance, maintenance costs, repairs, and so forth. Add all that together, and the monthly rent you are going to have to charge will be way above the going rates.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 10:27:39 AM

what if your local gangsterment forces you to sell the property to them, below market value via compulsory purchase?

If Bitcoin goes to 0, then it will be a major setback. It won’t ruin me, but it will take me two years to save up that money again (saving £50k from my £75k post tax income).

this is increasingly less likely

Bitcoin is financial freedom, because no-one can subvert your possession of it. This means demand will always be high, ensuring a high value. Satoshi was no slouch, y'know Wink

Vires in numeris
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 10:54:24 AM
Last edit: August 27, 2019, 11:35:35 AM by FinanciallyFreeFox
Merited by o_e_l_e_o (1)

My plan, simply put is:

I think it's great to have a long term plan set out prior to any major investment, and to have a goal you are aiming for. You should have a set price at which you want to cash out your bitcoin; too many people during the last bull run got greedy and just kept waiting and waiting for a higher price, and then ended up panic selling on the way down, often at a loss.

Having said that, I'm not sure I follow your numbers there. Even taking your higher growth target of x10, that gives you $1,200,000 to buy property with. A passive income of $120,000 is 10% of your property's (or properties') total value. On top of that you have to factor in taxes, legal fees, administration fees, insurance, maintenance costs, repairs, and so forth. Add all that together, and the monthly rent you are going to have to charge will be way above the going rates.

Very good question.

With $1,200,000 invested in property (in the UK) with a 25% loan to value mortgage, that gives me the ability to purchase properties with a total value of $4,600,000 (slightly less of course due to fees).

Generally when I invest in property, if I invest for example £30,000 in a property (including fees), then I would expect as a minimum of 10% ROI, i.e. £3,000 per year in NET Profit (this is of course after all expenses including maintenance and property management).

Of course, you can only get these ROIs when you are using a mortgage to purchase property with low interest rates, e.g. 3%. So we will see what the interest rates are within the next several years.

But good investments typically net between 20% and 30%, but higher ROIs are possible using the BRRR strategy.

I'm a property investor, so trust me on this Smiley
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 11:00:28 AM

what if your local gangsterment forces you to sell the property to them, below market value via compulsory purchase?

this is increasingly less likely

Bitcoin is financial freedom, because no-one can subvert your possession of it. This means demand will always be high, ensuring a high value. Satoshi was no slouch, y'know Wink

Honestly I have thought about this - what if the government confiscates property?

Well long-term I am going to buy property in other countries.

I'm also going to be buying Gold.

I'm also going to be leaving some funds in Bitcoin, and also buying back into Bitcoin if there is a major dip after I cash out.

If history repeats itself we may see an influx, and a dip afterwards.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 11:11:18 AM

which are also subject to the whims of compulsory purchase or confiscation

which is also subject to the whims of compulsory... oh i see, you get it now, ok

I'm also going to be leaving some funds in Bitcoin, and also buying back into Bitcoin if there is a major dip after I cash out.

it's not the most free flowing way to do it, but try to use in person cash transactions to minimize the risk of doing this

another way is to simply buy raw materials (metals, wood, glass, oil etc) at the top of the Bitcoin market, providing you have some guarantees to find a buyer. If you can find a commodity that's at the bottom of it's market cycle, so much the better

and you'll have property at which to store it all too (did you consider buying industrial property as opposed to residential property?)

Vires in numeris
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 11:31:19 AM

which are also subject to the whims of compulsory purchase or confiscation

which is also subject to the whims of compulsory... oh i see, you get it now, ok

it's not the most free flowing way to do it, but try to use in person cash transactions to minimize the risk of doing this

another way is to simply buy raw materials (metals, wood, glass, oil etc) at the top of the Bitcoin market, providing you have some guarantees to find a buyer. If you can find a commodity that's at the bottom of it's market cycle, so much the better

and you'll have property at which to store it all too (did you consider buying industrial property as opposed to residential property?)

Property, Gold, anything can be confiscated ultimately.

Even with Bitcoin, addresses can be blacklisted (i.e. anyone who transacts with that address with go to prison) if they are not registered with KYC.

But I'm optimistic about the future.

I only invest in residential property at the moment, it's what I understand. I may look at commercial/industrial property down the road though.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18504

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 11:36:31 AM

With $1,200,000 invested in property (in the UK) with a 25% loan to value mortgage
My mistake. From your first post I assumed you would be buying property outright, not taking out additional mortgages.

BRRR strategy
There is a lot of work involved in rehabbing/renovating properties, even if you are just going to get contractors to do it all for you. There is also plenty of paperwork to be done when it comes to buying, renting, remortgaging, and selling. There are also of plenty of risks involved here. What if you rehab a property, but the appraisal (I think you would call it home report) comes back with a lower value than you hoped? What if you can't get anyone to rent for 2 months, or you end up renting at less than you wanted? What if the contractors end up taking longer than expected? What if you discover some hidden problem with the property that you didn't know about? What if rates go up? What if the market tanks? And as Carlton says, you always have the government to consider, who could crash your whole project in a heartbeat.

You sound like you know the market, but this isn't guaranteed "financial freedom" and "passive income". There are a lot of risks to consider.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 11:37:01 AM

Even with Bitcoin, addresses can be blacklisted (i.e. anyone who transacts with that address with go to prison) if they are not registered with KYC.

you're wrong about that

there are many many ways to make it impossible to be sure if funds originated from blacklisted addresses, and further techniques will improve this in future

so why not extend your optimism to Bitcoin's personal sovereignty properties also? all you have to do is learn how it's done, easy

Vires in numeris
Indamuck

Activity: 1120
Merit: 554

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 11:42:53 AM

Problem is a lot of people are living paycheck to paycheck and have no extra income to invest into bitcoin.  They are stuck in a cycle of poverty and the people in charge do everything they can to keep people poor and desperate so they can have cheap labor.
joelsamuya

Activity: 532
Merit: 41

https://emirex.com

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 12:30:44 PM

Well, if anybody can invest into Bitcoin with the current price and then by 2020 there would be a big bull then it can be a big money indeed. Just like anything, though, there can be some risks involved here as we don't actually know where the market is going and all here are just speculations. I wish that I was able to get into Bitcoin when it was below the $100 in price, that would have been a blast. I like your plan of investing what you earn in Bitcoin to real estate as this is the more solid and more stable industry to get into. Anyway, good luck to your endeavor.
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 12:48:30 PM

With $1,200,000 invested in property (in the UK) with a 25% loan to value mortgage
My mistake. From your first post I assumed you would be buying property outright, not taking out additional mortgages.

BRRR strategy
There is a lot of work involved in rehabbing/renovating properties, even if you are just going to get contractors to do it all for you. There is also plenty of paperwork to be done when it comes to buying, renting, remortgaging, and selling. There are also of plenty of risks involved here. What if you rehab a property, but the appraisal (I think you would call it home report) comes back with a lower value than you hoped? What if you can't get anyone to rent for 2 months, or you end up renting at less than you wanted? What if the contractors end up taking longer than expected? What if you discover some hidden problem with the property that you didn't know about? What if rates go up? What if the market tanks? And as Carlton says, you always have the government to consider, who could crash your whole project in a heartbeat.

You sound like you know the market, but this isn't guaranteed "financial freedom" and "passive income". There are a lot of risks to consider.

Yeah all these things are true. Property is hard work, it won't be easy or guaranteed.
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 12:59:58 PM

Problem is a lot of people are living paycheck to paycheck and have no extra income to invest into bitcoin.  They are stuck in a cycle of poverty and the people in charge do everything they can to keep people poor and desperate so they can have cheap labor.

Yeah this is a big problem. A lot of people are up to their eyeballs in debt, and have no breathing room.

Hopefully going into the future, BTC can provide a more stable way for people to hold their savings, and help people rise out of poverty.
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 01:12:42 PM

you're wrong about that

there are many many ways to make it impossible to be sure if funds originated from blacklisted addresses, and further techniques will improve this in future

so why not extend your optimism to Bitcoin's personal sovereignty properties also? all you have to do is learn how it's done, easy

I am optimistic about Bitcoin, and I'm optimistic about the government's curent and future stance on Bitcoin.

The way things are going, it doesn't look like the main powers are going to try to go to war against Bitcoin.

These countries, UK and European neighbours, USA, China, Russia - they are too busy competing with each other to combine their forces and focus on Bitcoin.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 01:16:03 PM

Hopefully going into the future, BTC can provide a more stable way for people to hold their savings, and help people rise out of poverty.

you're still not yet grokking it

Bitcoin already is a more stable way for people to hold their savings, as there is no counterparty risk. don't worry, the market reflects your sentiment also, as the majority of participants don't really understand it yet

I've been saying for years now, there will eventually be a very high profile incidence of some official gangster asking a well-known public figure "give me your money", and the well known public figure just saying "no"

at that point, everyone will suddenly get it, and the exchange value will go supernova parabolic

Vires in numeris
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 02:41:41 PM

you're still not yet grokking it

Bitcoin already is a more stable way for people to hold their savings, as there is no counterparty risk. don't worry, the market reflects your sentiment also, as the majority of participants don't really understand it yet

I've been saying for years now, there will eventually be a very high profile incidence of some official gangster asking a well-known public figure "give me your money", and the well known public figure just saying "no"

at that point, everyone will suddenly get it, and the exchange value will go supernova parabolic

I agree, but my point was that people can only be helped by Bitcoin once they start using Bitcoin.
pawanjain

Activity: 2646
Merit: 713

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 03:00:48 PM

It's really a good thing that you have a plan but I many people make a mistake by not sticking to the plan and end up regretting it later.
You have a good strategy here and so I would strictly recommend you to stick to the plan and not deviate from it.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
carter34

Activity: 1302
Merit: 25

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 03:04:40 PM

I agree, but my point was that people can only be helped by Bitcoin once they start using Bitcoin.

Lets take away the idea of bitcoin helping people rather we should start to look at what bitcoin is doing in the financial system dominated by fiat. Bitcoin is being used to save money or asset. People like to control and use their money themselves without orders, rules etc, this is the major goal I see first. Because, if we put our mind on bitcoin helping people, what about the times that bitcoin drops  Huh Roll Eyes
FinanciallyFreeFox (OP)

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 03:17:50 PM

Lets take away the idea of bitcoin helping people rather we should start to look at what bitcoin is doing in the financial system dominated by fiat. Bitcoin is being used to save money or asset. People like to control and use their money themselves without orders, rules etc, this is the major goal I see first. Because, if we put our mind on bitcoin helping people, what about the times that bitcoin drops  Huh Roll Eyes

Yeah it sucks when that happens.

I live in the UK and the £ has dropped in value a lot since BREXIT started years ago, and it has dropped even more recently as the final BREXIT negotiations are taking place.

People who hold £ are getting poorer every day.

Fiat currency is the enemy of anyone who wants to control their financial destiny.
bittraffic

Activity: 2926
Merit: 612

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
August 27, 2019, 03:24:39 PM

Live of rental income make sense because its going to give you funds for life. Everybody wants to profit for life and that will just be your ticket to live comfortably.  You're not the only who plans that kind of business once they got some funds to start. Rentals is continuous flow of money which is a good plan. I have a slightly  different plans like owning a few properties in the near the beach and so I will have a boat myself and do fishing all mylife.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███