Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 01:16:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying Altcoin with BTC, Capital Loss Every Single Time?  (Read 571 times)
nrnahid

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2019, 05:16:56 PM

Don't know why you ppl seem confused.  If you want to buy altcoin, you need to buy btc almost always to get that altcoin.  Example say you want to buy lisk, you can't just send money to coinbase or bittrex and then buy lisk with usd.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Upgate

Activity: 560
Merit: 14

View Profile
June 16, 2020, 09:49:54 AM

I know that when you want to buy an altcoin, let say iota or lisk for example, you have to buy it with btc as oppose to usd or usdt as many altcoins, you cannot pair them with usd or usdt. 

So for example, let say you buy $1000 worth of btc at $1000.  So you have 1 btc.  There is also a fee for buying it so say you only get $997.50 worth of btc.  Now let say you want to buy lisk and say its $1 to make it simple.  You now spend all that btc which is like 0.9975 btc and buy lisk.  You will get around 997.5 - 0.25% fees = $995 worth of lisk so 995 lisk. 

But the issue is when you buy btc at $1000, you have to send the btc to another exchange usually to buy the altcoin.  So first you have to pay that 10 cent - 1 dollar sending fee.  Then after this, you sell btc for lisk.  Obviously by the time you make the transaction to buy lisk with btc... its almost impossible for btc to be around the exact price where you bought it which is $1000 btc price.  Now let say btc price when you do this is $998.

So here, you are

Buying btc at 1000 dollar price
Selling btc at 998 dollar price

And thus incur a capital loss right?

Thus you never put buy or sell lisk until you sell lisk correct? 

Now here is the thing.  Let say you buy btc and sell btc at same exact price which is possible.  Like during those minute span its the same price.  So in these situations, there is no gain and no loss?  Or there is always loss because of the sending fee?  What about the transaction fee?  Because say you bought btc at 1k and sold it at 1k to get lisk... well you are never going to get 1000 lisk, you will probably get 995 lisk more or less right?

So if someone buys altcoins with btc and only does this when they buy btc... meaning... the only time i buy altcoin is when i buy btc right now... then sell it immediately for altcoin, isn't this person going to incur capital losses almost everytime it seems as oppose to capital gains?
This your post is somehow confusing to understand. But still yet, if it is about trading 1btc for altcoin (lisk) is possible depending on the exchange. Less you forget that, there might be a scenarios when lick price will go above the price you thought it will be when exchange it with btc, making you to purchase less lick coin.  As I for me, I would rather suggest to you, to hodl onto btc than exchanging it for other altcoin
YOSHIE
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1762

View Profile
June 18, 2020, 10:17:41 AM

Buying btc at 1000 dollar price
Selling btc at 998 dollar price

And thus incur a capital loss right?
that's the name (service), in selling/buying crypto like Bitcoin.

Now it's my turn to ask you...!
1. For what you buy Bitcoin, invest or sell Altcoin / tokens in BTC and get in dollars.

There are certain factors to determine that you don't lose every Bitcoin purchase/sale.
1. You buy Bitcoin at a price of $ 1000, after bitcoin is cut, the rest is $ 998, for that if you invest in a certain period, you might, not sell at the right price of $ 998, you could lose.
So you have to wait for the price of Bitcoin to $ 1,500, you gain or lose, you are lucky the value of your money has increased.

2. If you sell Altcoin/tokens into BTC, from the results of the campaign, obviously you are lucky, without spending money in your pocket to buy Bitcoin, Altcoin/tokens you can from the Bounty results.

that being said, trade the "smallest risk" what happens to you.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Upgate

Activity: 560
Merit: 14

View Profile
September 27, 2020, 10:35:52 PM

Summary of what you meant is that, is not advisable to buy altcoin with bitcoin cos at the end of it all, you'll be at the losing side buying altcoin with bitcoin.
It will be difficult for a professional trader to trade bitcoin for altcoin cos those altcoin can end up been worthless coin tomorrow
YOSHIE
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1762

View Profile
September 28, 2020, 05:26:14 AM

I know that when you want to buy an altcoin, let say iota or lisk for example, you have to buy it with btc as oppose to usd or usdt as many altcoins, you cannot pair them with usd or usdt.
Where you trade buy / sell and invest, on what exchange and where you live, trading crypto.

This is the first time I heard Altcoins are bought using Bitcoin, as far as I know and I have known crypto since 2016, I have never done anything like you did.

I have invested in Altcoins called IOTA etc., still I use fiat money / balance to buy it, not Bitcoin, I have never done it from Bitcoin to Altcoin, still from USD to certain Altcoins.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
Defimwh

Activity: 321
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 04, 2020, 05:41:35 AM

If you buy altcoin when the btc price dump from the price when you bought btc then yes you lost some capital. It's just mean that you sell your btc. Same thing if you buy btc with usdt, its mean you sell your usdt to btc right?. Always pay attention to the price when you bought it and also the fee since the fee are very expensive.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: