Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:12:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Antiviruses  (Read 1073 times)
lumierre

Activity: 862
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2019, 06:08:07 PM

Ubuntu (or any other operating system, really), isn't immune against malware (even if due to lower install base not as much is written as for Windows), 0days, exploits against the system or any of its components or installed software, and you can still get phished if you don't look carefully where you log in.
Basic antivirus software dont help much against phishing attacks. I ve used free versions of Avira, Avast and Windows Defender but I dont remember any of them warning me of fake phishing websites. I even visited the bitcointalk phishing site on purpose just to see if my AV would respond and nothing.
If you are cautious by nature you dont an antivirus to tell you that you are in danger.

I also tried all of them, and my computer was infected with each of these Antivirus programs installed. To protect yourself from Trojans and hackers, you should use a complex password (really complex!) and two-factor authentication during registration. A good antivirus will not hurt, but this stuff will not protect you for 100%. Therefore, you should not keep all the savings on the exchange - it is not safe.

CDEX-CROSS-CHAIN DECENTRALIZED EXCHANGE PLATFORM
TOKENS FOR BITCOINTALK USERS FOR SIGNATURES! ANN TREAD ! WHITEPAPER ! LITEPAPER !

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Juggy777

Activity: 2646
Merit: 686

View Profile
September 16, 2019, 06:14:40 PM

Ubuntu (or any other operating system, really), isn't immune against malware (even if due to lower install base not as much is written as for Windows), 0days, exploits against the system or any of its components or installed software, and you can still get phished if you don't look carefully where you log in.
Basic antivirus software dont help much against phishing attacks. I ve used free versions of Avira, Avast and Windows Defender but I dont remember any of them warning me of fake phishing websites. I even visited the bitcointalk phishing site on purpose just to see if my AV would respond and nothing.
If you are cautious by nature you dont an antivirus to tell you that you are in danger.

I also tried all of them, and my computer was infected with each of these Antivirus programs installed. To protect yourself from Trojans and hackers, you should use a complex password (really complex!) and two-factor authentication during registration. A good antivirus will not hurt, but this stuff will not protect you for 100%. Therefore, you should not keep all the savings on the exchange - it is not safe.

I’m using paid version of mcafee antivirus, and I’m glad I brought it because it tells when a site is risky to visit, also it scans all my downloads to make sure they’re safe. It runs daily automatic checks in the background, to keep the system clean which is really helpful. If you are like me who stores lots of information on laptop or computer then I feel you should get paid antivirus installed, it’s better to be safe then being sorry for loosing your coins to phishing attacks.
bob123 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2019, 06:30:46 PM

I am aware of this factor, but still, if there is an opportunity to defend ourselves, then why not?

The thing is, that the majority of malware (more than 95%) is written for windows.
This alone makes it safer to use linux/mac.

In a targeted attack, it doesn't matter at all which OS you are using. But in such an attack an AV wouldn't help at all either.

You can configure windows to be relatively secure. But this takes a lot of effort and know-how, while on the other hand other OS's are more secure by default (linux / macOS).
If you can, you should go for linux. For any software you need to be running on windows, simply install a virtual machine.

Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2019, 07:57:25 PM

I’m using paid version of mcafee antivirus, and I’m glad I brought it because it tells when a site is risky to visit, also it scans all my downloads to make sure they’re safe. It runs daily automatic checks in the background, to keep the system clean which is really helpful. If you are like me who stores lots of information on laptop or computer then I feel you should get paid antivirus installed, it’s better to be safe then being sorry for loosing your coins to phishing attacks.

What do you do with a brand new phishing site that is not in the antivirus database yet? See the problem with that thinking? You are not safe at all because you pay an antivirus license, quite the opposite, since you are lowering your guard thinking you are now safe...

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 16, 2019, 11:14:35 PM
Merited by vapourminer (2)

2FA won't help you if your malware-infected computer sees the TOTP key when you first activate 2FA on your cryptocurrency exchange account, same with complex passwords. Minimize your attack surface and think before you click something, too.

Signature space available for rent.
esofelap

Activity: 182
Merit: 1

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 08:24:59 AM

2FA won't help you if your malware-infected computer sees the TOTP key when you first activate 2FA on your cryptocurrency exchange account, same with complex passwords. Minimize your attack surface and think before you click something, too.
I do not understand how the virus can broke 2-factor protection if it is constantly changing very fast.

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
https://www.minter.networ
elisabetheva

Activity: 1708
Merit: 105

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 12:30:05 PM

I do not understand how the virus can broke 2-factor protection if it is constantly changing very fast.
After all we can not underestimate the AV, because at least we have done a part of self-protection, as possible with 2FA. but all back to us, whether we have done the right procedure so that the virus triggers can not attack our windows? taking care not to make mistakes so that are not infected is the main procedure.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 01:06:15 PM

It doesn't 'break' it, to get 2FA you first have to input a code into your 2FA app, if the virus snoops it when you first configure you 2FA it won't help you that it changes every few seconds. If whatever device the 2FA app is installed on is compromised then you're not safe either.

Signature space available for rent.
beliomir

Activity: 539
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 01:20:31 PM

I understand you, it will be necessary to try. But which Antivirus is still better for these tasks, Kaspersky or Avast?
My recommendation is Norton Security, it is not free, but it is working as great protection on my PC for years. It is not only AV, but a set of security programs which include AV, firewall, antispam, exploit protection and much more. It works very nice in combination with Malwarebytes Pro, and this is something that I consider good protection on Windows OS.
Most of security software is available in trial version, so it is possible to try it for 15 or 30 days completely free.
About ten years ago  last time I heard about Norton Security, and now I think, maybe install Linux?)

I tried working on Linux, and I cannot say that I was happy with this OS. However, it is worth trying if you are scared of viruses and not sure that your AV soft can protect you. As for the viruses, the most frequent one is mining virus. When the computer is infected, you can watch:
- High load of CPU and video cards;
- A web browser uses more than 50% of the processor power;
- Programs run slowly and work;
- Slow launch of web pages;
- The mouse does not want to move for several minutes.

I agree Linux is not perfect. Usually, after installing Linux, you need to configure the system so that it works quickly.
Windows is good that works smartly from the box, but it has the most viruses.

Whitepaper     E M R X Token   :   LEARN MORE   
      E M I R E X         ─── إمركس ───          :         The Infrastructure for the
  [ telegram    facebook    TWITTER ]         New Digital Economy
yazher

Activity: 2170
Merit: 585

You own the pen

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 01:24:35 PM

Anti-Virus is made for the security of our computer anything that is bad for the system anti-virus will block it.
to web browsing and to the unknown files that we download on the internet, anti-virus has been there to help us if the file is infected with something malicious. if it is not for the anti-virus that we installed on our PC, I think we need to format them for every week because of the unidentified malware that we downloaded from browsing the net.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
bob123 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2019, 04:54:13 PM

The algorithms to derive the OTP is publicly available.
The changing code you are referring to is a Time-based OTP. It is derived using a secret (seed) and the current time.

If an attacker knows the secret, he can create the same OTP since he is also able to read the clock.

Anti-Virus is made for the security of our computer anything that is bad for the system anti-virus will block it.

No, it won't.
It will block a small subset of all potential threats. The known one and thee very obvious ones.

[...] because of the unidentified malware that we downloaded from browsing the net.

You don't just download malware by browsing the web.
It will be downloaded either by some drive-by exploits (not that probable) or by manual user interaction (very probable; e.g. 'crack all private keys by running this program' scam).

ChrisPop
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1033

Not your Keys, Not your Bitcoins

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 05:01:18 PM

An antivirus is a must have. My AV has blocked my access to several phishing and possible malware-infected websites before that could *potentially* been dangerous. Also the fact that I can scan my comp for possible adware or any kind of viruses is comforting Smiley
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2019, 07:59:22 PM

Seems you didn't read. If the malware was active the time you activate 2fa it copied the key needed to generate the very same answers. When you activate a 2fa, you are given a 16 char string you are supposed to keep backed up, essentially the private key.

Same way malware copies seed words or private keys from wallets, etc. Problem was using an insecure OS in the first place. If you want to be safe, always boot from a secure OS first before handling security related things.

I agree Linux is not perfect. Usually, after installing Linux, you need to configure the system so that it works quickly.
Windows is good that works smartly from the box, but it has the most viruses.

This is a lie, you simply are picking the wrong distro. Once you find the right distro for you, you don't have to do anything and it runs faster than windows on the same PC by default, without downloading anything or configuring anything. no drivers, guides, activation, updates, nothing. It just works, better.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
drumamat

Activity: 1193
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 17, 2019, 09:16:50 PM

My laptop has long been installed operating system Windows 10.I haven't used any antivirus software since.And so far, nothing has been stolen from my laptop.I do not know what the situation is with other operating systems,but with Windows 10 has never been a problem.
barbara44

Activity: 2394
Merit: 605

View Profile
September 18, 2019, 12:34:19 PM

These hackers are scammer and they can make anything possible, and I believe that what he is trying to say is that if the malware had already been installed on your phone or pc before you activated your 2fa factor, the malware may be monitoring your transaction to always see any code that you are generating, is it not through this that binance was hacked too.

So, the fact we use 2 factor authenticator still does not mean that the account cannot be hijacked, and some of these antiviruses that we even use sometimes cannot be trustworthy as some of them are viruses itself, because they are meant to work underground, and you know that in the process of activating them, we usually give them access to every details about our operation of the system, so I would not be surprised if they have the privilege to access our Google authenticator factor.
esofelap

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 08:39:23 AM

My laptop has long been installed operating system Windows 10.I haven't used any antivirus software since.And so far, nothing has been stolen from my laptop.I do not know what the situation is with other operating systems,but with Windows 10 has never been a problem.
That's good but I don't like to use  Windows 10, for me  Seven is better in performance level.

bob123 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 08:59:31 AM

That's good but I don't like to use  Windows 10, for me  Seven is better in performance level.

So you give up on security for a slightly better performance ?
I hope you don't store any sensitive information (including private keys) on your PC.

I really can not understand how people are still using Win7 to store their crypto. End of Life is near and missing security features should be enough to switch to Win10.
And additionally you can still upgrade for free..

Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3220
Merit: 5628

Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 10:31:21 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

So you give up on security for a slightly better performance ?
I hope you don't store any sensitive information (including private keys) on your PC.

I really can not understand how people are still using Win7 to store their crypto.

I don't understand why you're obsessed with the idea that any user who still uses Windows 7 is have a higher risk of being hacked the if he use Windows 10? I still use it and I was never hacked in 10 years of using it, and still have some coins in desktop wallets worth several hundred dollars that I don't care too much about.

Who is lost crypto because of Windows 7? Is this OS responsible for any phishing, or maybe for all that fake Electrum wallets that take at least 1000 BTC from users so far? Who is exploiting this OS to hack users crypto, and how Windows 10 is better in anything then just more spying on users?

.BLACKJACK ♠ FUN.
█████████
██████████████
████████████
█████████████████
████████████████▄▄
░█████████████▀░▀▀
██████████████████
░██████████████
████████████████
░██████████████
████████████
███████████████░██
██████████
CRYPTO CASINO &
SPORTS BETTING
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
▀███████████████▀
█████████
bob123 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 11:33:48 AM
Merited by vapourminer (1)

I don't understand why you're obsessed with the idea that any user who still uses Windows 7 is have a higher risk of being hacked the if he use Windows 10?

Because this is the case. It is a fact, and not just my opinion.

I still use it and I was never hacked in 10 years of using it, and still have some coins in desktop wallets worth several hundred dollars that I don't care too much about.

Just because your PC didn't get infected yet (at least as far as you can tell), this doesn't mean that it is not by far less secure than a modern OS.

Who is lost crypto because of Windows 7? Is this OS responsible for any phishing, or maybe for all that fake Electrum wallets that take at least 1000 BTC from users so far?

The OS is not responsible for anything.
But it makes it way easier for an intruder to gain access to your system.

And you have to keep in mind that not every malicious person wants to steal crypto.
Gaining control over a system is enough for most blackhats. Abusing a system for further hacking attempts as a proxy, DDoS,etc.. Finding sensitive data is just the icing on the cake.

Who is exploiting this OS to hack users crypto, and how Windows 10 is better in anything then just more spying on users?

A lot of people and malware are exploiting the weak security measurements of Win7.
For example: Ransomware WannaCry. I am sure you heard of it. It only affected Win7 system. Win10 was not affected at all.

Any company affected was running an outdated OS. And they got their comeuppance. Damage which went up into the millions.

Additionally, Win7 networks are vulnerable to PassTheHash.
Win7 has no Hardware based security at all, no Trusted boot, no Virtualization based security (secured environment for critical windows processes) and much more..

If you care about your privacy, you shouldn't use windows at all.
This is not an argument pro win7 / contra win10. This is an argument which is contra windows in general.

esofelap

View Profile
September 21, 2019, 05:20:59 PM

I don't understand why you're obsessed with the idea that any user who still uses Windows 7 is have a higher risk of being hacked the if he use Windows 10?

Because this is the case. It is a fact, and not just my opinion.

I still use it and I was never hacked in 10 years of using it, and still have some coins in desktop wallets worth several hundred dollars that I don't care too much about.

Just because your PC didn't get infected yet (at least as far as you can tell), this doesn't mean that it is not by far less secure than a modern OS.

Who is lost crypto because of Windows 7? Is this OS responsible for any phishing, or maybe for all that fake Electrum wallets that take at least 1000 BTC from users so far?

The OS is not responsible for anything.
But it makes it way easier for an intruder to gain access to your system.

And you have to keep in mind that not every malicious person wants to steal crypto.
Gaining control over a system is enough for most blackhats. Abusing a system for further hacking attempts as a proxy, DDoS,etc.. Finding sensitive data is just the icing on the cake.

Who is exploiting this OS to hack users crypto, and how Windows 10 is better in anything then just more spying on users?

A lot of people and malware are exploiting the weak security measurements of Win7.
For example: Ransomware WannaCry. I am sure you heard of it. It only affected Win7 system. Win10 was not affected at all.

Any company affected was running an outdated OS. And they got their comeuppance. Damage which went up into the millions.

Additionally, Win7 networks are vulnerable to PassTheHash.
Win7 has no Hardware based security at all, no Trusted boot, no Virtualization based security (secured environment for critical windows processes) and much more..

If you care about your privacy, you shouldn't use windows at all.
This is not an argument pro win7 / contra win10. This is an argument which is contra windows in general.

First of all it is much faster than 10 for my laptop, for the second, I like it more than Windows 10.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: