Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:14:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Make sure to avoid wasting BTC for too high fees – step by step guide (Electrum)  (Read 1109 times)
RickDeckard
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 3007

View Profile
April 22, 2024, 08:13:21 PM

Even Jochen Hoenicke's website doesn't have any colours above that limit anymore.
I dont know when they last updated their website and made some changes, everything looks the same like in the old days and I thin they need some redesign to fit this extreme high fees.
While the most used website (at least by me and others) didn't had any change regarding these new fees that have been going on, the other website where he is showing the mempool while running Bitcoin Core 0.18.1[2] does show a higher fee limit.
Mempool.space is much better alternative, both visually and for more information, so I switched to this as my main source for monitoring transaction fees state.
Whenever I have to introduce the concept of fees and how they work in a transaction to someone, I always opt to use mempool.space as a reference due to the amount of information that it provides and, most importantly, how easy it is to read the information being displayed there. Nextblock.is[3] has even less information and is more straight to the point, which I also like, and will probably also start using it as a second option in introducing the concept to people that are interested in knowing more about Bitcoin.

[1]https://jochen-hoenicke.de/queue/#BTC,24h,weight
[2]https://core.jochen-hoenicke.de/queue/?ref=insights.blockonomics.co#0,24h
[3]https://nextblock.is/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
1miau (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 6743

Currently not much available - see my websitelink

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2024, 05:36:33 PM

Even Jochen Hoenicke's website doesn't have any colours above that limit anymore.
Mempool.space is much better alternative, both visually and for more information, so I switched to this as my main source for monitoring transaction fees state.
Mempool.space has more information available, that's true but for whatever reason I prefer Jochen Hoenicke's website, personally.
I don't know why but maybe it's due to the fact that Jochen Hoenicke's is more "pure" as only raw data is presented, while Mempool.space has added lots of visualisations and compilations, even a recommendation of how much fees to pay to get a "low", "medium" and "high" priority for expectable transaction confirmation duration.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Alpha Marine

Activity: 532
Merit: 286

View Profile
April 24, 2024, 11:28:41 PM

Whenever I have to introduce the concept of fees and how they work in a transaction to someone, I always opt to use mempool.space as a reference due to the amount of information that it provides and, most importantly, how easy it is to read the information being displayed there.

Just this morning I was trying to explain to a close relative how my transaction was stuck in the network for 2 days, he doesn't know much about Bitcoin so it was difficult for him to understand, so I used mempool.space to explain everything to him and he understood the whole thing pretty quicker than I expected.

I actually haven't used many explorers like that, but I don't bother because of Mempool.space gives me all I need. Before I make any transactions, I usually check the fees there first so I'll know my next move.

I assume that most will just avoid buying Bitcoin but the worst part of it is the damage that it does to the overall adoption of it.

I have often said that high network fees are a bigger problem for Bitcoin adoption than we think. What is the point of Bitcoin having these unique features if I can make a transfer and get it confirmed within minutes? Why do I have to wait an hour, or even days in some cases for a transaction to be confirmed or pay a huge fee if I want it done quicker?
These are the kinds of questions people would ask and these kinds of questions hinder adoption.
Adoption to me is not just the amount of people who own or use Bitcoin, but also being able to use Bitcoin anywhere and anytime.

On the issue of network fees, last I checked it was around 53sat/vb, that's about $5. It's still relatively high, but if you consider the fact that 3 days ago it has gone up to about $50, I believe it's coming down now. Hopefully, it continues at this rate.
The problem is, there will be more congestion in future.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████