Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:38:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 bitcoins for a 60-70 dollar moneypak!!!  (Read 2171 times)
hackattack2077 (OP)

Activity: 123
Merit: 100

back in the game

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 06:39:48 PM

Im able to post now in the rwgistered section. Im in desperate need of these coins and need them asap. Thx. Ill even pay 70.

Successful Trades so far-
Haploid23,TangibleCryptography,FullLife,gigavps,imsaguy,superfastkyle,BCB,USD2BTC,astana,immukization,atc777,koukan exchange (awesome and fast service!!!!),DannyHamilton,Greendots,and escrow all the way through JohnK(Global Moderator/Grand Pooh-Ba) baby!!! (Now Dannyhamilton is my go to guy for escrow,he's a pro!)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 06:51:15 PM

I'll do a $70 moneypak for 20 BTC.
astana

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 01:52:41 AM

you don't keep up with the news, there a moneypak scam that is being used on all trading sites, from poker to e-currencxy sites it's happening.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 04:15:32 PM

Ah, thanks for the heads up.  How does it work?  I thought that as soon as a moneypak was applied to your paypal account, you were golden!
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 05:01:10 PM

I to would like to understand the moneypak scam. Please explain.
boonies4u

Activity: 826

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 05:56:29 PM

Do not give someone your bitcoins until you have the moneypak balance withdrawn to either a pre-paid card (greendot has these as well) or a paypal account.

Just be aware that if you add funds to your paypal account, it should be to either spend them, or to send them to someone else over paypal, paypal will take actions against you if you withdraw them.

I am not aware of any balance funded with a moneypak being pulled.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 05:57:32 PM

Apparently, astana is the only one who keeps up on the news.  Maybe he'll enlighten the rest of us?
imsaguy
General failure and former
VIP

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

Don't send me a pm unless you gpg encrypt it.

View Profile WWW
November 16, 2011, 04:27:29 PM

I got scammed with the moneypaks into paypal.  If the transactions get flagged, they can and will remove the moneypak funds from the paypal account. They will then lock the funds up until someone with a receipt contacts them.  If you are going to accept moneypak, you should demand a copy of the receipt.  Anyone buying the moneypaks legitimately will have the receipt and it should be trivial to post a private picture/scan of it somewhere.

Coming Soon!™ © imsaguy 2011-2013, All rights reserved.

EIEIO:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=60117.0

Shades Minoco Collection Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=65989
Payment Address: http://btc.to/5r6
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 05:15:47 PM

I got scammed with the moneypaks into paypal.  If the transactions get flagged, they can and will remove the moneypak funds from the paypal account. They will then lock the funds up until someone with a receipt contacts them.  If you are going to accept moneypak, you should demand a copy of the receipt.  Anyone buying the moneypaks legitimately will have the receipt and it should be trivial to post a private picture/scan of it somewhere.

Thanks for this imsaguy! This is good info to use in otc trading.
boonies4u

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 06:30:00 PM

What if you put the balance onto a prepaid card? Sounds like the picture wouldn't be much to ask for, that should still keep it viable for buying/selling.

What transaction was flagged? Did you try and withdraw it? If so, that is why you were flagged.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 06:40:05 PM

Great info to know, thanks!

What if you put the balance onto a prepaid card? Sounds like the picture wouldn't be much to ask for, that should still keep it viable for buying/selling.

What transaction was flagged? Did you try and withdraw it? If so, that is why you were flagged.
That might work, but I bet your Paypal accounts maintains a negative balance or is just frozen altogether until you add funding to it again.  Not worth the risk IMO.
boonies4u

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 07:58:13 PM

That might work, but I bet your Paypal accounts maintains a negative balance or is just frozen altogether until you add funding to it again.  Not worth the risk IMO.

What are you talking about? When you add balance to a prepaid card, you don't go through paypal. If you put money on paypal with a moneypak, paypal expects you to spend it, not withdraw it. Never put money on your PP account if you're just going to withdraw it!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 09:16:44 PM

What are you talking about? When you add balance to a prepaid card, you don't go through paypal. If you put money on paypal with a moneypak, paypal expects you to spend it, not withdraw it. Never put money on your PP account if you're just going to withdraw it!
Wait, did you mean the OP putting the balance on a prepaid card instead of a moneypak?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 09:26:39 PM

Wait, did you mean the OP putting the balance on a prepaid card instead of a moneypak?

No.

Rule 1) NEVER USE MONEYPAKS TO FUND PAYPAL
Rule 2) NEVER USE MONEYPAKS TO FUND PAYPAL
Rule 3) Use Moneypack you receive from buyer to fund a prepaid debit card.  If at this point you are thinking about using the Money pack to fund your Paypal account see rules #1 & #2.  
Rule 4) Verify the funds are available on prepaid debit card.
Rule 5) Only after you have transfered the moneypak to your prepaid debit card and verified the balance is good do you release/transfer the time you are selling (in this case Bitcoins).

Alternate version of Rule 3 for more paranoid seller:
Rule 3) Use Moneypack you receive from buyer to fund a prepaid debit card and then immediately withdraw the entire balance as cash at an ATM before transfering goods.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 09:28:35 PM

No.

Rule 1) NEVER USE MONEYPAKS TO FUND PAYPAL
Rule 2) NEVER USE MONEYPAKS TO FUND PAYPAL
Rule 3) When you receive a Moneypak from a buyer use it to fund a prepaid debit card.  If at this point you are thinking about using the Money pack to fund your Paypal account see rules #1 & #2. 
Rule 4) Verify the funds are available on prepaid debit card.
Rule 4) Only then release the item you are selling (in this case Bitcoins).

Alternate version of Rule 3 for the more paranoid seller) Use Moneypack you receive from buyer to fund a prepaid debit card and then immediately withdraw entire balance as cash at an ATM before transfering goods.
Gotcha.  I didn't realize you could use a moneypak to fund a prepaid card directly.  I thought moneypaks were a paypal-only thing.  Shows how much I know.  Tongue
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 16, 2011, 09:30:32 PM

Ah I see the confusion then. 

Yeah you just need to buy a "green dot" debit card.  7-11, Walmart, most grocery stores, etc all have them.  Costs like $4 and comes with $0.00 balance.  You can fund them w/ a moneypak code. 

Little tip: If you need a really big Moneypak go to Walmart.  They can issue $1100 Moneypaks most other places only go for $250 or $500 max.
boonies4u

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 01:28:31 AM

Ah I see the confusion then. 

Yeah you just need to buy a "green dot" debit card.  7-11, Walmart, most grocery stores, etc all have them.  Costs like $4 and comes with $0.00 balance.  You can fund them w/ a moneypak code. 

Little tip: If you need a really big Moneypak go to Walmart.  They can issue $1100 Moneypaks most other places only go for $250 or $500 max.

Also on a related note, the same anti-money laundering laws (US federal) that cover money orders, now cover "stored value cards" like these. I will link my post on the subject when I get home.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: