Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:16:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vulnerabilities and number of nodes  (Read 1100 times)
MysteryMiner (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 03:24:00 AM

Or they simply don't use the client at all.  Or only leave it running when they want to send/receive a transaction.  The number of nodes online has been declining for some time.
Not running client all the time? This generally is similar to Bitcoin network geting attacked by large goverment or probably even ANO and only one or two nations have Bitcoin network in operable state. The network are resistant to such attacks as I read long time ago. Does simply not running Bitcoint client all the time affects the network at all?

Um it isn't that hard.  A node is only a node when the client is running.   If you have 100K users but they on average only have the client running for 2 minutes a day then in effect at any particular time you only have a couple hundred nodes running.  It has nothing to do w/ a govt attacking Bitcoin. 
So the Bitcoin will not function properly with few hundred nodes? Sure it will function! And the time needed for transaction to get needed confirmations is more than 2 minutes, so there is no need for users to turn off the nodes, unless the Bitcoin client is bloated like Skype. I have no incentive at all to seed my Piratebay torrent files except knowing the other users benefit from it, so I leave them running for weeks. And they are way more bandwidth hungry than Bitcoin will ever be.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 03:33:43 AM

Or they simply don't use the client at all.  Or only leave it running when they want to send/receive a transaction.  The number of nodes online has been declining for some time.
Not running client all the time? This generally is similar to Bitcoin network geting attacked by large goverment or probably even ANO and only one or two nations have Bitcoin network in operable state. The network are resistant to such attacks as I read long time ago. Does simply not running Bitcoint client all the time affects the network at all?

Um it isn't that hard.  A node is only a node when the client is running.   If you have 100K users but they on average only have the client running for 2 minutes a day then in effect at any particular time you only have a couple hundred nodes running.  It has nothing to do w/ a govt attacking Bitcoin. 
So the Bitcoin will not function properly with few hundred nodes? Sure it will function! And the time needed for transaction to get needed confirmations is more than 2 minutes, so there is no need for users to turn off the nodes, unless the Bitcoin client is bloated like Skype. I have no incentive at all to seed my Piratebay torrent files except knowing the other users benefit from it, so I leave them running for weeks. And they are way more bandwidth hungry than Bitcoin will ever be.
There are many attacks that exploit bitcoin running with little nodes. Cancer nodes are dangerous, DOSing any node is possible, and cutting off a lot of the hash power even.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 01:41:32 PM

So the Bitcoin will not function properly with few hundred nodes? Sure it will function!

If by "properly" you mean resistant to attack then no Bitcoin won't function properly with only a few hundred nodes.  Cancer nodes, DDOS, information hostaging, null routing, network fragmentation, feasible 0-confirm double spend all become realistic attack vectors if the number of nodes is small.

For example if your client is behind a firewall you are limited to 8 connections.  If the number of available nodes is small by spoofing a large number of IP diverse nodes I can ensure you only connect to me.  All 8 connections are under nodes I control.  At that point anything you do is if I let you.  Anything you see (in terms of transactions) is because I want you to see it.
MysteryMiner (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 05:59:07 PM

So the Bitcoin will not function properly with few hundred nodes? Sure it will function!

If by "properly" you mean resistant to attack then no Bitcoin won't function properly with only a few hundred nodes.  Cancer nodes, DDOS, information hostaging, null routing, network fragmentation, feasible 0-confirm double spend all become realistic attack vectors if the number of nodes is small.

For example if your client is behind a firewall you are limited to 8 connections.  If the number of available nodes is small by spoofing a large number of IP diverse nodes I can ensure you only connect to me.  All 8 connections are under nodes I control.  At that point anything you do is if I let you.  Anything you see (in terms of transactions) is because I want you to see it.
The attacks all are temporary, and will self-correct when connected to good nodes and blockchain is merged. Yes, they can be a nuisance and even you can pull a double spend, but not all users are affected by it. The 8 connection limit if unreachable from wan is not specified by protocol, the next version can change this number. This situation again is corrected when you connect to good nodes and the blocks are compared by difficulty. So the worst that attacker can do is denial of service for specified users and possible double spend. This can be achieved to any network connection, changes in protocol cannot prevend denial of service.

Where is the old thread where the blockchain splitting and network fragmentation is discussed?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 06:14:03 PM

If by "properly" you mean resistant to attack then no Bitcoin won't function properly with only a few hundred nodes.  Cancer nodes, DDOS, information hostaging, null routing, network fragmentation, feasible 0-confirm double spend all become realistic attack vectors if the number of nodes is small.

The attacks all are temporary, and will self-correct when connected to good nodes and blockchain is merged. Yes, they can be a nuisance and even you can pull a double spend, but not all users are affected by it. The 8 connection limit if unreachable from wan is not specified by protocol, the next version can change this number. This situation again is corrected when you connect to good nodes and the blocks are compared by difficulty. So the worst that attacker can do is denial of service for specified users and possible double spend. This can be achieved to any network connection, changes in protocol cannot prevend denial of service.

Where is the old thread where the blockchain splitting and network fragmentation is discussed?

Which doesn't refute the fact that security of a p2p network is significantly degraded if only a few hundred nodes exist. Saying attacks are temporary or only affect single users is dubious and naive.  All attacks are temporary and all double spends only affect a single user (technically a pair of victims). 

"This situation again is corrected when you connect to good nodes and the blocks are compared by difficulty."
This has nothing to do with blocks.  It has to do with controlling the information a node sees, degrading the network, executing double spends, and creating disruptions in flow of transactions.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 06:16:35 PM

What do you mean by "bitcoin"?   The bitcoin distributed consensus algorithm?  The bitcoin currency formed by it?   Or the current version of the client software we happen to be using today?

In a world where there were only a few hundred full nodes we wouldn't be using the current software— we'd be using some evolved version of it.   The bitcoin distributed consensus algorithm and the bitcoin currency can function fine in that world, the current software as is— not so much.

The P2P protocol is simply not essential to bitcoin. Bitcoin can run over just about any transport, and there are already people communicating bitcoin across things which are not the P2P protocol. (e.g. compressed blockchain dumps, json messages, etc). As bitcoin grows and evolves many different transports will coexist (and no one could stop them from existing, even if we wanted to)

To make node software for the world with a few hundred nodes you'd want do to things like explicitly configure sets of 'known not-completely evil peers' with cryptographic authentication like the freenet darknet.  This kills cancer-nodes, confines DDOS and hostaging, prevent null routing and fragmentation, etc. And its pretty easy to maintain in a world with a few hundred nodes. You can even fully mesh the main nodes to each other.    

While I don't think "a few hundred nodes" is a desirable (or plausible) outcome, we're already getting some of the features needed for that hypothetical universe (see the 'keepnode' pull request) because the attacks you've described are not impossible enough for high value targets in our current diverse network but are made much more difficult with a little sprinkling of some pairwise semi-trust (because they're all mostly broken by 'have at least one honest peer'). No amount of P2P network diversity helps you if your ISP is evil and isolates your node onto a fake network... but a couple of authenticated peers elsewhere on the network kills that attack dead.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 06:35:18 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2011, 06:56:59 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The P2P protocol is simply not essential to bitcoin. Bitcoin can run over just about any transport, and there are already people communicating bitcoin across things which are not the P2P protocol. (e.g. compressed blockchain dumps, json messages, etc). As bitcoin grows and evolves many different transports will coexist (and no one could stop them from existing, even if we wanted to)

Of course it is essential.  The cornerstone of crypto-currency is a distributed network where trust in 3rd party isn't required to conduct trade.  Sure you can make centralized networks ... one already exist it is called Paypal (or eGold before they collapsed).

No amount of P2P network diversity helps you if your ISP is evil and isolates your node onto a fake network... but a couple of authenticated peers elsewhere on the network kills that attack dead.

If I feared my ISP I would rather use a VPN to move beyond my ISP scope of control that have to rely on authenticated peers.  I mean existing banking system works because each node is authenticated and trusted by other nodes.  Of course you (as an individual) have no chance and hope of being trusted by that network and as a result must rely on a trusted member of that network.  In exchange for that reliance (limited access) you pay a significant cost to access/move your own money.

So small number of nodes simply doesn't work without high level of trust and authentication between nodes.  If the end game is for Bitcoin to replace a small network of trusted bank nodes with a new small centralized network of trusted "nonbank" nodes then it has no real utility.  You might as well just use Paypal and just hedge your exposure to dollars and/or inflation.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 09:24:17 PM

Of course it is essential.  The cornerstone of crypto-currency is a distributed network where trust in 3rd party isn't required to conduct trade.  Sure you can make centralized networks ... one already exist it is called Paypal (or eGold before they collapsed).

Setting up p2p links with nodes you don't expect to screw you over, web of trust style, is _not_ centralized.  There are many ways to have decenteralized communication and "take TCP connections from everyone, connect out to eight others, forward everything you hear that validates... tell new neighbors about every other neighbor you've heard of"  is only one of them.

It's a good thing, because by your metric bitcoin would be "centeralized" now because people do have explicitly configured peerings.

The rest of your post is a strawman. The trust relationship between banks is not at all isomorphic to simply having a minimum fraction of peers which you trust not to black hole you and which you can safely prioritize without risk of DOS attack.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 09:30:31 PM

So which is it?

The P2P protocol is simply not essential to bitcoin.

First you claim P2P is not essential to Bitcoin then you indicate that using web of trust it is possible to ensure security of bitcoin p2p connections?
MysteryMiner (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 10:04:26 PM

P2P and decentralization is essential for Bitcoin. And the network must not be totally attack proof, thats impossible. The clients must be able to recover from any attack originating from network. The multiple stage peer finding and fallback modes such as IRC, built-in long term backup nodes, .onion adresses, maybe some kind of distributet hash table or possibility to manually add known good peer as a last option.

DHT peer finding, anyone?

mndrix
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 10:57:54 PM

... or possibility to manually add known good peer as a last option.

Possible now with the `-addnode=<ip>` option.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

View Profile WWW
November 15, 2011, 12:35:22 AM

So which is it?

The P2P protocol is simply not essential to bitcoin.

First you claim P2P is not essential to Bitcoin then you indicate that using web of trust it is possible to ensure security of bitcoin p2p connections?

The P2P protocol
^^^

Meaning the current one, with its weaknesses to insufficient diversity.  You can have other network topologies (which can be "peer to peer" or otherwise) and reduce/eliminate the particular weaknesses... differents set of tradeoffs, ones which would make sense in different environments.  We can freely change the networking protocol without breaking bitcoin, because even a single node that speaks both would bridge them.

... or possibility to manually add known good peer as a last option.

Possible now with the `-addnode=<ip>` option.

Yes.   Though since you can't tell if a peer is silently dropping your messages you can't really use it as a "last option".

Addnode connects once and makes no further effort to keep the link up, beyond the fact that the address will be a recently connected address in the pool of addresses that your node knows. Keepnode attempts to keep the link up.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: