Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:03:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are there any Altcoins out there backed by real assets?  (Read 634 times)
TokenHodlr (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 15

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 06:53:52 PM

A brief explanation of the Gold Standard and why a currency backed by gold wouldn't work today:

www.monetran.com/currency-support/

XAUR is backed by gold https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/xaurum/
There is also a project by the Populous Team which is named XAUP, I think its not yet on the market right now. This is the ANN thread of this project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5100378.0

I think there is also a gold backed project in the WAVES platform, I just can't remember the name of the project.  If by real asset includes real properties then I guess there are more of the projects, you just have to search for it.

Yes, there are gold backed tokens issued by various companies. The point is, gold is a sometimes volatile commodity. This prevents any coin or token backed by gold (or any other precious metal) from achieving two important goals of any cryptocurrency which is striving for mass adoption: price stability and the ability to serve as a store of value. 

Without price stability, a crypto can't be reliably used as a medium of exchange because its value will fluctuate, often significantly.

Without the ability to serve as a store of value, it can, and often will, lose value over time.

Backing by gold is not a guarantee of anything other than it is not backed by zero.

Agreed, with one caveat; 'price stability' should rest on a foundation of appreciating value. To me, this translates into a price discovered through authenticated net asset value and community-audited income from operations. What else can protect you from orchestrated inflation and the devaluation of whatever assets the so-called 'stable coin' is pegged to?

Thanks for your considered response.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TokenHodlr (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 07:01:24 PM

There are lots of coins/tokens that claims they are backed by gold but I don't think that they are really backed by gold.  They just use this scheme to entice investors to invest on their project.  I have seen several projects that claims to be backed by real asset but they failed on proving that they really are backed by what they claim and eventually, the project die or the developer runs with the collected money.

This is so true. None of them that claims they backed by hard assets were true. Even Tether is proven to be running as a fractional reserve. Another unbelievable asset-backed coin is Petro, cryptocurrency by Maduro's government which is turning out to be scam.

There are a number of solutions to authenticating and auditing the claims these offers are making.

An example that pops immediately to mind would be an audio/video surveillance system with web-accessed live streaming video; whereby any member could access visual confirmation of all income-producing assets and their associated accounts of cash and cash equivalents.
OasisDre

Activity: 532
Merit: 41

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 07:01:27 PM

The only project that i know of with real life working product and backed by big company this year so far is still bitwings but either backed with real asset or not this doesn't guaranteed the success of new projects this days since many projects are just failing like they are jokes

▬▬▬▬▬▬▌   Vulcan Forged    ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▌    Telegram   ▌    Discord      ▌     Twitter      ▐▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   DISCOVER   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
TokenHodlr (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 07:09:06 PM

Just search in the web, but be aware. There are a lot of projects that will try to fish you, because this theme is very popular nowadays. You can even find 3-5 bounties at the moment, that are collecting funds for projects with the same purpose. (backed by gold, diamonds, real estate)

In my ideal cryptocurrency, whatever the assets might be, they must produce an income sufficient to maintain those assets and acquire new ones organically or otherwise; and must be blockchain-community audited.
TokenHodlr (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 07:15:49 PM

I can see some altcoins or tokens where using the name of real assets but I don't know if it was backed by it. Example, the price of Tether(USDT) is the same as the price of USD and the price will not increase higher or lower 1$ even you will invest a million dollar on it, the value will remain 1$ because it was manipulated. So what do you think about it?

Its a pegged coin, enough said.
TokenHodlr (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 07:32:57 PM

Looking for an Altcoin that is backed by something; akin to the Gold standard as opposed to just speculation....

Thanks in Advance

After several researches i haven't find a project backed by real gold assets that i can trust, there are few ones but i don't trust them, real estate backed projects is another case, i seem to trust AQRE platorm by chellecoin among others

Again, without a yield, these are a no-go for me.
ghermghuda

Activity: 284
Merit: 5

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 07:43:37 PM

There are many tokens as such but they come with a great caution. Majority of such coins may have existed already as nonprofitable companies but just using crypto as an avenue to get more people into their business (either to grow better or to scam them(mostly the case)). Just be careful out there.

[ CurioInvest ]: Bringing Collectables into the Digital World (https://curioinvest.com) [IEO LIVE]
TokenHodlr (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 07:44:41 PM

Looking for an Altcoin that is backed by something; akin to the Gold standard as opposed to just speculation....

Thanks in Advance

Yes, these are stablecoins like USDT, PAX, USDC ... all of them are backed by USD and real assets.

Not stablecoins; these are 'pegged' coins. Their stability rests on the the risks and volatility of the underlying assets. We've got plenty of that already, how is that working out for us?
leftgirly

Activity: 132
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 08:21:02 PM

There are many coins on the market that claims to be backed by real gold and other physical assets that have high value. But for a coin to be backed by reals assets such as gold does not mean that the project  or coin cannot fail in the end.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 08:51:33 PM
Last edit: September 22, 2019, 04:44:09 AM by mr_random

Just search in the web, but be aware. There are a lot of projects that will try to fish you, because this theme is very popular nowadays. You can even find 3-5 bounties at the moment, that are collecting funds for projects with the same purpose. (backed by gold, diamonds, real estate)

In my ideal cryptocurrency, whatever the assets might be, they must produce an income sufficient to maintain those assets and acquire new ones organically or otherwise; and must be blockchain-community audited.
For maintaining those assets, the hire financial analyst has to carefully analyze the market conditions due to the inflation risk on the token supply. I have participated in the bounties which promised to send the real estate backed tokens but these tokens are not going to pay the costs of the electricity consumed by the mining equipment, really ironic. Looking for the reliable real asset-backed up project will take your time and I suggest to compare the shortlist of candidate projects before deciding to invest.
htsy585

Activity: 573
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 19, 2019, 09:52:41 PM

Thanks in Advance

Xaup  (gold pokens) from the famous Populous platform was promoted here early this year and its an altcoin backed by Gold. What I am not sure is how things has really gone on for it since then.

I just checked Google just now and the only info I can find on them is their bounty program on Bitcointalk on February. I hope it is still alive
retnoanjani

Activity: 630
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2019, 10:12:02 PM

Recently several projects have emerged that claim to be supported by something tangible, such as gold, real estate, and supercars. That is a pretty good strategy for tokenizing, attracting more investors to join and get to know cryptocurrency. This is a sign that the use of cryptocurrency is getting closer to daily activities, hopefully, it can bring a positive impact.

BitcoinPanther

Activity: 1918
Merit: 564

View Profile
September 21, 2019, 11:39:01 PM

I think I know a coin backed by gold. According to the project description, one of their GOLD tokens is backed by 1 gram of 99.99% pure gold. And their gold is stored by BuillonStar, you can also easily check their gold at BuillonStar through their account number. This is their website.
https://gold.storage/en/market

I can say their gold is too little to back up their entire token.  It is misleading to say that 1 token is backed up by 1 gram of 99.99% pure gold since they have 979,582 token and their gold reserve is only 100 gram x 72 .

I do not see anything wrong there. If you look at it closely, you will see that:
1 Gold(Their token) = 0.00465858 BTC, and if you calculate it. It is about $48 per piece, here we are talking about gold per gram. And based on the data I gathered here https://goldprice.org/gold-price-per-gram.html, For every 1 gram of 99.99% gold is $48.4
that means they are indeed backing their coin/token to 1 gram of gold each. That is totally fine and not misleading at all.

What I meant is the whole token is not backed by gold.  only around 7200 of it.  It is not the price of token but rather the token supply as a whole if you get what I mean.  What if someone who is holding 100k of token wanted to change them to gold?  Does the team have the sufficient amount of gold to accommodate this token?
poornamelessme

Activity: 1204
Merit: 509

View Profile
September 21, 2019, 11:59:41 PM

Thanks in Advance

There are a number of gold tokens, as already mentioned by others. You'll find one in my signature too. I'm also aware of paxgold, which is relatively new.

Eventually I think a lot of assets, including stocks and bonds will be tokenized. I believe there is a german bond (forget the name) that has been tokenized. Even an NBA player is trying to tokenize his contract.
TokenHodlr (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2019, 12:02:24 AM

Not to cannibalize or abandon this thread, I have however, started an
additional thread that I believe to be a broader and perhaps deeper,
if not complimentary exploration as well.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5186522.0
ElmedoRator

Activity: 826
Merit: 104

View Profile
September 22, 2019, 12:08:07 AM

I have yet to see any project backed by real assets. Most of them are fake, even USDT is fake and always under strict inspection

TokenHodlr (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2019, 12:43:49 AM

I have yet to see any project backed by real assets. Most of them are fake, even USDT is fake and always under strict inspection

Regretfully so, your findings are reflective of my own research.

My intent with this discussion is to tap into the collective wisdom, experience and skillsets of the Bitcointalk community to explore, perhaps flesh out, and even create from whole cloth, an Eco-system that is incorruptible by virtue of end-to-end transparency in all transactions.   

nreal

Activity: 932
Merit: 100

arcs-chain.com

View Profile
September 22, 2019, 12:55:01 AM

There are lots of coins/tokens that claims they are backed by gold but I don't think that they are really backed by gold.  They just use this scheme to entice investors to invest on their project.  I have seen several projects that claims to be backed by real asset but they failed on proving that they really are backed by what they claim and eventually, the project die or the developer runs with the collected money.

I think I know a coin backed by gold. According to the project description, one of their GOLD tokens is backed by 1 gram of 99.99% pure gold. And their gold is stored by BuillonStar, you can also easily check their gold at BuillonStar through their account number. This is their website.
https://gold.storage/en/market

I can say their gold is too little to back up their entire token.  It is misleading to say that 1 token is backed up by 1 gram of 99.99% pure gold since they have 979,582 token and their gold reserve is only 100 gram x 72 .

This is a new project and they can deposit more gold into their reserves, the token number is not fixed, it only represents the amount of gold circulating in the market. Add tokens if their number of users is greater. Anyway, the project is so transparent they give you a direct audit of the gold they hold.

► ARCS ◄ ♦ ARCS - The New World Token (*Listed on KuCoin) ♦ ► ARCS ◄
───●●───●●───●●───●●───●●─[   Bounty Detective   ]─●●───●●───●●───●●───●●───
Website|Twitter|Medium|Telegram|Whitepaper
target
Legendary

Activity: 2226
Merit: 1041

View Profile
September 22, 2019, 02:38:03 PM

A brief explanation of the Gold Standard and why a currency backed by gold wouldn't work today:

www.monetran.com/currency-support/

XAUR is backed by gold https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/xaurum/
There is also a project by the Populous Team which is named XAUP, I think its not yet on the market right now. This is the ANN thread of this project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5100378.0

I think there is also a gold backed project in the WAVES platform, I just can't remember the name of the project.  If by real asset includes real properties then I guess there are more of the projects, you just have to search for it.

Yes, there are gold backed tokens issued by various companies. The point is, gold is a sometimes volatile commodity. This prevents any coin or token backed by gold (or any other precious metal) from achieving two important goals of any cryptocurrency which is striving for mass adoption: price stability and the ability to serve as a store of value. 

Without price stability, a crypto can't be reliably used as a medium of exchange because its value will fluctuate, often significantly.

Without the ability to serve as a store of value, it can, and often will, lose value over time.

Backing by gold is not a guarantee of anything other than it is not backed by zero.

Agreed, with one caveat; 'price stability' should rest on a foundation of appreciating value. To me, this translates into a price discovered through authenticated net asset value and community-audited income from operations. What else can protect you from orchestrated inflation and the devaluation of whatever assets the so-called 'stable coin' is pegged to?

Thanks for your considered response.

Once its in the market, there isn't a guarantee that its price will keep as is.  But if its just a store of value and pegged to certain fiat, what good does it give to its holder?

Cryptocurrency or any other type of token released by blockchain companies may dip to the bottom but will bounce up again.

TokenHodlr (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2019, 08:26:03 PM

Once its in the market, there isn't a guarantee that its price will keep as is.  But if its just a store of value and pegged to certain fiat, what good does it give to its holder?

Cryptocurrency or any other type of token released by blockchain companies may dip to the bottom but will bounce up again.

You are certainly right.

A pegged coin only creates an added layer of risk and cost to its possessor/transactor.

My issue is, with the plethora of projects that are blockchain, sans, a discernible revenue, let alone an profit plan.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: