Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:45:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Methods of Prediction  (Read 1425 times)
K128kevin (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 09:05:24 PM

I was wondering what methods you guys have seen used to predict bitcoin prices? Right now I'm working on a software project that uses neural networks to try to predict bitcoin prices (http://www.btcpredictions.com) but I was wondering what other strategies you guys have used and how successful they have been? Do people find a lot of success just going with their gut on this?

I'm currently working on a program that will simulate trading based on the predictions of this project so we'll see how well it does. I'm testing it right now, gonna let it run for at least a few days, probably longer.

If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Teppino

Activity: 139
Merit: 100

bitcoin hates walls

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 09:09:47 PM

Nice work, you should put the timezone for reference  Wink
Wilhelm
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1265

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:11:43 PM

I hodl.

As for prediction I think news is also a indicator that should be considered.
Trading on traditional technical analysis is risky since bitcoin is no normal market and is being manipulated.

If anything can work neural networks could. Also they are interesting.
Wish you the best of luck!

Bitcoin is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get !!
K128kevin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 10:49:52 PM

Yeah, I pretty much just hold at the moment too although that's mostly because I don't have enough extra money floating around to risk buying/selling in short intervals. I think you definitely need to consider the news whether you are following some type of technical analysis or just going on your intuition. And yeah I think neural networks are very interesting (obviously)!

Bitcoin is definitely far from a normal market, which is why it's so risky to try to make money by buying/selling in short intervals. But I'm sure people do it, and I'm wondering if they are just lucky or if they have some strategies. And I'd be curious to see if there is some way to measure their performance in comparison to buying/selling based on a model like mine.

Also btw the time zone on the charts is your current time zone.

knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 10:53:32 PM

How do we predict weather ?

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 11:09:27 PM

Glad to see your post OP. I always like to see less common approaches to TA.

Care to elaborate a bit on your ANN method? How many layers? Regular feedforward ANN or recurrent network? What's the input and history size you train on?

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 11:17:00 PM

OP: what sorts of forecast methods have you considered? Also, it doesn't seem to me that bitcoin prices would be the sort of recurring data that neural nets tend to like? (for example sunspot activity)

I've used exponential smoothing and ARIMA models before. They'll model a calm market ok, but don't model volatility well before a large change in price.

I've also tried using GARCH models, but I need to work with these a bit more. I think that's at least one model you probably should be seriously considering.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
jamesc760

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:31:32 AM

I use the tried-and-true Nostradamus method.
knightcoin

Activity: 238

Stand on the shoulders of giants

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:46:18 AM

I use the tried-and-true Nostradamus method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RAtFSEkFho

http://www.introversion.co.uk/
mit/x11 licence 18.x/16|o|3ffe ::71
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:47:46 AM

ARIMA (auto-regressive, integral, moving average) or Box-Jenkins was state of the art a dozen years ago.  Now, harder to say, but basically what organ said, given how fundamentally unstable the bitcoin market is, very hard to use technical analysis.
K128kevin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 01:43:57 AM

I use a forward feed neural network with backpropogation. There are actually two neural networks - one for short term and one for long term. They both have three layers (inputs, hidden layer, outputs) and they use the same activation function (sigmoid). Basically the only difference between them is the number of nodes in each layer, and the data I give them. The long term neural network uses 80 inputs and 20 outputs, which each correspond with changes in average price over 6 hour periods. The short term neural network uses 60 inputs and 24 outputs, which each correspond with changes in average price over 1 hour periods. Both have hidden layers with 200 nodes.

Knightcoin - That documentary looks so awesome! I am definitely going to find the full version of that and watch it!

I don't really know any other forecasting methods. I basically just used neural networks because I learned about them in a class I took a few semesters ago and thought they were really interesting. We used them to recognize hand-written digits and when I found out that they are often used for stock price prediction I decided it would be a cool idea to use them for bitcoin price prediction.

I've never heard of ARIMA but I will check that out for sure. Like I said, I don't really know any other forecasting methods but I do know that they exist. That's largely why I created this thread.

I think a lot of the major spikes or crashes in bitcoin price are probably nearly unpredictable since it obviously is very fundamentally unstable. However, I would think that it would be possible to (once a spike or crash is occurring) predict how exactly the event would play out as far as bitcoin prices go. Once a major event occurs that causes bitcoin prices to fall or spike, I feel like there must be some discernible patterns in price changes.

Or maybe not, who knows lol

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 01:52:12 AM

It would be interesting if you kept us appraised of your progress. I would definitely find it interesting.

A great free online textbook for forecasting:  https://www.otexts.org/fpp

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:31:39 AM

I was wondering what methods you guys have seen used to predict bitcoin prices? Right now I'm working on a software project that uses neural networks to try to predict bitcoin prices (http://www.btcpredictions.com) but I was wondering what other strategies you guys have used and how successful they have been? Do people find a lot of success just going with their gut on this?

I'm currently working on a program that will simulate trading based on the predictions of this project so we'll see how well it does. I'm testing it right now, gonna let it run for at least a few days, probably longer.

The people who predicted $1,000+/BTC were NUTS, until it really happened.
I predict many more surprises ahead.   Cheesy

K128kevin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 02:07:10 PM

I'm glad you are interested and I'd be happy to keep you guys up to date! And I'll definitely check out that book.

AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:50:11 PM

Reading charts whilst being up to date with the latest news.
If you've heard speculation regarding BTC that will portray it negatively, predict a fall. (However, look at graph trends as well to predict the next natural shape of the graph should all factors remain constant - ie no bad news).
passionsurf

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:13:56 PM

My favorite method is to listen to cosmofly's autistic friend.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:37:40 AM

The method that I use is a combination of averages, moving averages, automatically adjusting tables and targeting. (A bunch of baselines calculated from some other financial methods compounded with PivotTables hehe.)
hellscabane
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:38:48 AM

Grin +1

This is probably the best method to employ. It has been shown to be 100% all of the time. You can't beat 100%. Sure it's a 100% fail rate, but it's all good right?
arepo

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

this statement is false

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 12:42:09 AM

Grin +1

This is probably the best method to employ. It has been shown to be 100% all of the time. You can't beat 100%. Sure it's a 100% fail rate, but it's all good right?

actually, a 100% failure rate is just as impressive, and would be an infinitely useful contrarian indicator Tongue

this sentence has fifteen words, seventy-four letters, four commas, one hyphen, and a period.
18N9md2G1oA89kdBuiyJFrtJShuL5iDWDz
hellscabane
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 01:57:18 AM

Grin +1

actually, a 100% failure rate is just as impressive, and would be an infinitely useful contrarian indicator Tongue

You've got a point! Haha! Oh the power of a negative indicator! Maybe that's the ruse the whole time.

[Admittedly though, in terms of probabilities, because of the types of predictions made and using the relative volatility in the markets, it's more likely for 100% fail rate to happen than a 100% success rate. Still though, in terms of usefulness they're equal.]
K128kevin (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 02:58:29 AM

hahaha I had no idea what you guys were talking about and then I read the "Prepare for March 16th dip" thread... LOL that was ridiculous

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: