Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:08:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any thought to reduce downloading time of blockchain ?  (Read 508 times)
diana_s (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 08:03:31 AM

it takes me whole 4 weeks to download bitcoin blockchain, is there any way to reduce downloading time?
i dont know if this is feasible:
take a balance snapshot for all the address existed before a special block,and take the  result as a new genesis block,then continue grow the chain from after this special block.the cost of this method is we lose all the transaction detail before that point. and we can choose a right snapshot interval  to do the procedure.may be it can be implemented as an option that  users can choose.  how was ya'll experience?
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Rath_
aka BitCryptex
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 08:10:33 AM

it takes me whole 4 weeks to download bitcoin blockchain, is there any way to reduce downloading time?

It looks like either your hardware or Internet connection is at fault. While your node is synchronising, CPU verifies each block one by one. Also, upgrading to an SSD makes a difference in the sync time. Even a Raspberry Pi should be able to finish it in just a few days. How many nodes are you connected to and what's your maximum Internet speed?

take a balance snapshot for all the address existed before a special block,and take the  result as a new genesis block,then continue grow the chain from after this special block.the cost of this method is we lose all the transaction detail before that point. and we can choose a right snapshot interval  to do the procedure.may be it can be implemented as an option that  users can choose.

That's out of the question. Some people share their copies of the blockchain via torrent. It could be faster for you.
diana_s (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
September 25, 2019, 08:33:08 AM

That's out of the question. Some people share their copies of the blockchain via torrent. It could be faster for you.

any idea how to share copies via torrent?
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2019, 08:38:53 AM

I wouldn't download the blockchain via torrent... Not as safe as downloading the blocks from several peers, and you still need to verify and parse the blocks... My advice to you would be to either find the bottleneck on your system or switch to an SPV wallet... SPV wallets only download the block headers, it takes a couple minutes to sync and uses a couple dozen Mb of diskspace.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
HeRetiK
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2061

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 09:16:50 AM

Be aware that in general bootstrapping the Bitcoin blockchain via torrent is slower than downloading it via your wallet software:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

If downloading the Bitcoin blockchain is too much of a hassle to you, please consider using Electrum instead as suggested by ETFbitcoin and mocacinno:
https://electrum.org/
lightningmelo
Copper Member

Activity: 70
Merit: 22

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2019, 09:47:02 AM

You're not just downloading the blockchain, but you're also validating that every block is correct which also takes some time.

This guarantees that you can verify any transaction validity without having to trust any 3rd party, I'd say that's worth the 4 weeks of downloading.

However, there are some improvements being made by protocol developers to make the IBD (initial block download) faster, such as assumeutxo.

harryjackmen

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 26, 2019, 12:59:42 PM
Last edit: September 26, 2019, 01:58:29 PM by harryjackmen

you can clearly just download blockchain via torrent, I agree with @BitCryptex  
herewith i attach you a source to listen (if you don't wanna read)  

https://zoobc.org/index.php?topic=130.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNlayWFMT0o

Why do you need to download whole Bitcoin Blockchain? If you don't plan to run Bitcoin full node or only want to have a Bitcoin wallet, you could use SPV wallet such as Electrum.

On a side note, your idea is called UTXO commitment.

You need to look for people who share Bitcoin's blockchain on BitTorrent protocol, But overall time to download and verify blockchain remains same.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 4357

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 08:49:43 AM
Last edit: September 27, 2019, 09:20:10 AM by franky1
Merited by ABCbits (1), hugeblack (1), 1Referee (1)

the actual assumevalid and assumeutxo idea above is not good protocol for actually validating every transaction from genesis till now. and has many flaws such as sybil attacks by someone using a bitcoin fork could slide their chain in if the checkpoints matched(the fork of differing blocks occured after checkpoint).

EG imagine an assumevalid/utxo checkpoint was done chosen for 2016. yes all transactions and blockhashes match so sniffing peers results would pass the test that everyone has the same hash result. but the transactions after which your then independently testing wont. and thats where things get problematic.

EG someone can fork btc into a private network, start making their own blocks at a lower hashrate. and then have some specially designed sybil nodes. that sniff out new users and filling up their 8 node connections with 8 sybil nodes. thus controlling everything the user gets and sees.

separately
.. the actual issue people have is not that it takes them 4 weeks to download. but that their node is stuck with a 'downloading blockchain' message and no other function until the blockchain is uptodate.

this is where the blockchain should be downloaded as normal validating EVERY transaction and block since genesis. but where instead of waiting and twiddling thumbs doing nothing for 4 weeks, the node can grab a snapshot of a UTXOset quick, so that people can just get on and transact. and then they wont notice the real blockchain stuff going on as it becomes a hidden background thing not interrupting their plans

for those not wanting to be part of the network as a seed for other to download from them ('the cries of bandwidth costs of doing so') then can just forget being fullnodes and just be litenodes and just grab a utxo snapshot

as for concerns about spending funds where a person accidentality gets a bad UTXO set.. well thats what the relay network and miners mempool is for. to reject invalid transactions......

an approach to ensure your getting a good set is by having it where you are trying to download from 1000 different peers.. but makes you a bad 'leacher' in download terms. which is why most devs agree that its best to only do it via 8-10 peers.. but these 8-10 peers could be sybil nodes and when doing hash checks you would obviously get the same results as they are the only peers your connected to.
what some have suggested is to allow 1000 connections to random peers. not to download the blockchain. but to have more scope of the hash checks to make sure what your getting from the 8-10 peers is good data. rathr than just hash checking with the very same people that gave you the data

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 03:23:41 PM

A nice trick to speed up your synchronization time is to get the best possible peers. This website uses an index with an algorithm (open source) and they generate this rank:

https://bitnodes.earn.com/nodes/leaderboard/

You can add nodes either on the debug console with addnode <ip> add or in the peers.dat file, by simplying copy pasting the list of nodes there. This really makes a change so try it out.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 10:11:52 PM

separately
.. the actual issue people have is not that it takes them 4 weeks to download. but that their node is stuck with a 'downloading blockchain' message and no other function until the blockchain is uptodate.

This. I have helped a relative last year after complaining about the process of 'downloading' blocks taking too long, and that with a 100mbit cable connection. Turns out, the validation process is what took him so long, and this is directly where most new people go wrong. They assume that downloading the blockchain is similar to downloading a movie file or something.

People have no clue about how heavy it is on the system to validate every bit of data that goes back like 10 years. In Bitcoin's history there have been almost 460 million transactions and 1.23 billion outputs. If people start to understand how much computing goes into validating that data, and how regular hdd's further slow down that process, they will probably refrain from running their own node and just go with an SPV client (which for most ordinary users is the best option).
CounterEntropy

Activity: 214
Merit: 275

View Profile
September 27, 2019, 11:01:40 PM

If downloading the Bitcoin blockchain is too much of a hassle to you, please consider using Electrum instead as suggested by ETFbitcoin and mocacinno:

I guess, it can be done with Bitcoin Core itself through pruning. To enable block pruning set prune=N on the command line or in bitcoin.conf, where N is the number of MiB to allot for raw block and undo data.

Details: https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#reduce-storage
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 4357

View Profile
September 28, 2019, 12:19:58 AM

I guess, it can be done with Bitcoin Core itself through pruning. To enable block pruning set prune=N on the command line or in bitcoin.conf, where N is the number of MiB to allot for raw block and undo data.

Details: https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#reduce-storage

pruning does not help the user as a full network helper
first you still need to download the entire blockchain first and then the node sets itself to only keep the latest few days/weeks of blocks and deletes the rest.
thus making the whole point of even bothering to download the blockchain useless waste of time. might aswell just be a litenode and have a utxo snapshot.
also pruned nodes dont have the blockchain so they wont then be seeders to help others. thus just being a selfish leacher and sitting on the relay network while not helping the network fully.
its one of th stupid things i thought core devs added as a feature of their FULL NODE implementation because they are not full nodes if they cannot be a seed for others to download from.
so yea if you dont wanna be a seed and dont want peers grabbing data from you. just dont bother trying to be a full node and use a lite node instead

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
September 30, 2019, 07:38:37 PM

Get off Windows 10 if you are using it. I've been able to sync' my blockchain without any problems for a few years, and that is using public WiFi. Following the latest major upgrade of Windows 10, i'm getting dumped by quite a few peers, and it is becoming difficult to maintain the blockchain. I need to see if Mint supports the Brave browser, and go back to Linux.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new offgrid test wallet address - bc1q8nxxakyxesa4weme28rrdyyu3vqgxp36t3tmrz
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3068

View Profile
October 01, 2019, 12:19:03 PM
Merited by suchmoon (4)

If you're feeling incredibly brave, you can test out the pull requests from this user on github which all together can apparently cut the IBD time by ~14%.

But 14% is not big enough to justify such a risky move, these are testing changes, and as such are not for real-world use in their current state. Although this particular change has been pulled into 0.19.0 release candidate, and is perhaps lower risk. I would still advise against it if you're expecting stability, there is a big risk that the full consequences of these changes have not yet been observed, as they've only seen limited testing.

Vires in numeris
Macadonian

Activity: 467
Merit: 578

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 08:15:49 PM

Get off Windows 10 if you are using it. I've been able to sync' my blockchain without any problems for a few years, and that is using public WiFi. Following the latest major upgrade of Windows 10, i'm getting dumped by quite a few peers, and it is becoming difficult to maintain the blockchain. I need to see if Mint supports the Brave browser, and go back to Linux.

This is probably due to all the background processes within Windows 10 but for this to have any effect your internet would have to be incredibly slow in the first place. Windows 10 should not be dropping anymore peers than Windows 7 would in theory. The only thing I can think of is the way Windows 10's firewall is implemented and its blocking certain peers from connecting via the Bitcoin core program.
DaCryptoRaccoon

Activity: 1187
Merit: 568

OGRaccoon

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 09:15:16 PM

https://bitcoin.org/bin/block-chain/

You can bootstrap download the chain from here just make sure to check the signatures it will help you.

It is advisable to download from the network but this is a way for those who struggle with downloading or have poor connection.

Code:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Torrent info hash: 36719ba2cecf9f3bd7c5abfb7a88e939611b536c
Torrent magnet link:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:36719ba2cecf9f3bd7c5abfb7a88e939611b536c&dn=bootstrap.dat&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fcoppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbttracker.crunchbanglinux.org%3A6969%2Fannounce

Block height: 317000
Filename: bootstrap.dat
Byte size: 22566124235
SHA1: 2e6e5dd20cd9c21960ba94f7265f42c4b6443758
SHA256: d05062052be4dd6fbaeac5f17598e52f7ad545f9f938acefaf7067ecce1d7b5a

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG/MacGPG2 v2.0.22 (Darwin)
Comment: GPGTools - http://gpgtools.org

iQEcBAEBCgAGBQJT+PcrAAoJEL8a4JGi25zKmj4H/i8xKIXW/xnw5i5Pc+ciUuc2
Zo+KxQd1YGRmJSvGsyTgTqK4IJUBD8s8tIGTtznCJ2/Q3wIdZmoqxkST7r4rqJly
cOyJ/n19K5beYvVekIgHVXFmhdJhZf8KNnyuV+DpHmmLKYyZtvkoY9b3hEBHVtSM
AkjuWyA9IEPeghxBX32JAToXOZGs9vZghNyIMg/fWbGLuv1oX7QCjAAua0NAMbLX
diSvVcLXskTRy38W4whz1DX6ruL8mPRYH5Ko6/cmtVqEkr53aEwYf1XJGHHAz3+J
nEHecxBUbiRhDwMdCVtqzKudXWVDtkgVQmRxrkKTw63NTVMge4eEziE2+7JQgq8=
=p9TY
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Code:
As of Bitcoin Core version 0.10.0 and later, the block chain bootstrap
torrent hosted here takes more time to download and import than it would
to simply start Bitcoin Core and let it sync itself.

Forum thread on BitcoinTalk:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145386.0

Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind version 0.7.1 and later supports a special import feature:  If the file "bootstrap.dat" is found in the bitcoin data directory, it will validate and import all blockchain data found in that file.  The following torrent presents a bootstrap.dat file for that feature.

----------------------
What is bootstrap.dat?

It is a flat, binary file containing bitcoin blockchain data, from the genesis block through a recent height.

Versions 0.7.1+ automatically validates and imports a file in the data directory named "bootstrap.dat".

Special note: Version prior to 0.8.0 have a bug which will only import 2G of data from a file.  This is fixed in 0.8.0.

------------------------
Who wants bootstrap.dat?

Anyone bringing up a new node using the reference client.  This is one method of accelerating the initial blockchain download process, while helping the bitcoin P2P network by offloading data download traffic from public P2P nodes.

This download is not for those who are already running the bitcoin client.

---------------------------------------
How often will this torrent be updated?

Assuming this project is deemed useful and worth continuing... the torrent will be updated once every few months, when the checkpoints are updated in the reference client source code.

--------------------------------------
Why not update the torrent more often?

A torrent works best when it is a large, static dataset that changes infrequently.  That maximizes the ability to seed the data, enabling even part-timer seeders to contribute meaningfully.  Less frequent changes also minimizes the risk that a malicious torrent will appear, with a long, malicious side chain.  The current policy only updates the torrent after blocks are buried many thousands deep in the chain.

-----------------------
Why should I trust you?

You don't have to:  This data is raw block chain data.  The client will verify this data during import.

Independent third parties may generate their own bootstrap.dat, up to a recent height, and verify that the sha256sum matches that posted above.  The file format is simple and publicly known:

<4-byte pchMessageStart><32-bit length><CBlock, serialized in network wire format>

----------------------------------------
How can I help?  Do you need more seeds?

Yes, we need as many long term seeds as possible.  This ensures we can meet torrent download demand immediately at high speeds, and remain idle the remainder of the time.

Raccoon Stuff
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 10:19:33 PM
Last edit: October 17, 2019, 08:39:48 PM by Carlton Banks

https://bitcoin.org/bin/block-chain/

You can bootstrap download the chain from here just make sure to check the signatures it will help you.

It is advisable to download from the network but this is a way for those who struggle with downloading or have poor connection.

this is a bad idea, do NOT listen to the above advice under any circumstances.

You risk being connected to a fake blockchain if you download random torrents without knowing what you're doing

@MagicByte your post is irresponsible

I was wrong about this, apologies to MagicByt3

it's still pointless to use this old torrent bootstrap, it won't speed up IBD. And it only includes the first 2-3 years of Bitcoin's blockchain, so it adds steps for no benefit.

Vires in numeris
Macadonian

Activity: 467
Merit: 578

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 10:40:24 PM

You could download the Blockchain from a torrent however it is extremely advised not too because of the risk that you run of it being infected or altered. Even if it comes from Bitcoin.org I would still advise downloading it natively through the network because that version coming directly from the network is checked by nodes to assure that everything is synchronized and nothing has been altered. Downloading from a torrent although quicker is risky and I would advise members of the forum not to advise others of downloading from there even if there is severe limitations on internet and disk space.
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2019, 10:59:45 PM

Downloading from a torrent although quicker

it's not quicker, since about 4-5 years ago. There's literally no point in using bittorrent to download the blockchain since version 0.10 (which was released in 2015)

Vires in numeris
naska21

Activity: 1358
Merit: 635

View Profile
October 09, 2019, 01:30:07 PM

Also, upgrading to an SSD makes a difference in the sync time.

Yeah, in terms of synch the major time consumer is disk's I/O operations and in this respect NVMe-compatible  SSD would perform even better than say SATA SSD.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: