Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:14:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: If mining asteroids becomes commonplace is any element rare enough to be money?  (Read 4210 times)
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 16, 2014, 11:54:04 PM
Last edit: March 17, 2014, 12:05:09 AM by Anon136

One of the reasons i bought bitcoin is because i was worried about the possibility of asteroid mining. I have been told that a single captured asteroid could potentially double the supply of gold or silver. This would make these elements essentially worthless as money. You wouldn't be strong enough to carry enough to buy something with them. So then my question is, if this were to happen would something like iridium or osmium be rare enough to still allow value to be portable even under these circumstances?

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2014, 11:56:20 PM

One of the reasons i bought bitcoin is because i was worried about the possibility of asteroid mining. I have been told that a single captured asteroid could potentially double the supply of gold or silver. This would make these elements essentially worthless as money. You wouldn't be strong enough to carry enough to buy something with them. So then my question is, if this were to happen would something like iridium be rare enough to still allow value to be portable even under these circumstances?

That is a very good question and I have no idea.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 12:07:05 AM

This is the thing a lot of precious metal advocates haven't really considered, gold and silver certainly are rare metals on Earth but you're correct, there are actually recorded cases of asteroids being found that contain trillions worth of metals in them. If this amount of metal flooded the market then these metals wouldn't be considered rare anymore and you'd have to look for something else that's rarer, but this is why I consider cryptocurrencies to actually be a very good for currencies, the only downside to them really is you need an internet connection and they aren't physical.

Precious metals work great for now but if we get the hang of space flight they'll be about as common as copper, unless of course we discover and entirely new material we haven't seen before that's rarer than gold or some other metal.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:24:06 AM

This is the thing a lot of precious metal advocates haven't really considered, gold and silver certainly are rare metals on Earth but you're correct, there are actually recorded cases of asteroids being found that contain trillions worth of metals in them. If this amount of metal flooded the market then these metals wouldn't be considered rare anymore and you'd have to look for something else that's rarer, but this is why I consider cryptocurrencies to actually be a very good for currencies, the only downside to them really is you need an internet connection and they aren't physical.

Precious metals work great for now but if we get the hang of space flight they'll be about as common as copper, unless of course we discover and entirely new material we haven't seen before that's rarer than gold or some other metal.

i dont think crypto is a great solution either. crypto is great for moving value and for speculating, its a useful tool for a lot of things, but i dont think one of them is "savings". atleast not to me. Its not really rare. Someone can always invent a better crypto (cough nxt) but its just a matter of time before someone invents something better than nxt. bitcoin is rare in the sense that you cant make new bitcoin but not in the same way as a precious metal. you cant just copy gold and make DogeGold.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:26:45 AM

we may have to shift to using isotopically pure elements.

http://www.curiousnotions.com/home/metals.asp

So what you’re looking for is an element that’s extremely scarce in parts per billion, and an isotope of it that’s of such a tiny proportion that the product of both numbers is the smallest of any earthly substance.

Osmium comes in seven stable isotopes, and among them osmium-184 is the rarest at 0.02%. That times the element’s 1.8 parts per billion equals about a half part per trillion. But as mentioned above, osmium’s not the nicest stuff to deal with. Plus, although you can correct me if I'm wrong, no one seems to have a creditable price for 184Os.

For a far more serviceable candidate we don’t have to look far. Platinum comes in stable isotopes 190, 192, 194, 195, 196, and 198. Among those, the scarcest is 190, whose natural occurrence is 0.014%. If platinum as a whole exists at 7.5 ppb in the earth’s crust, 190Pt would be 0.014% of that: 0.00105 ppb or about one part per trillion. Therefore, isotopically pure platinum-190 is the most precious metal in the world.

i wonder if there is a reasonable way of verifying the "isotopically pure" claim.

EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:23:03 AM

Same thing with diamonds, there's a lot of them hidden below but we're not advanced enough to extract them efficiently.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 02:31:13 AM

Same thing with diamonds, there's a lot of them hidden below but we're not advanced enough to extract them efficiently.

there are a lot of them above ground. diamonds arnt actually rare at all. that's a myth. the only reason they have such a high value is because the de beers diamond cartel has monopolized the supply and holds them off of the market inorder to artificially inflate the price.

LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2014, 03:39:59 AM

there are a lot of them above ground. diamonds arnt actually rare at all. that's a myth. the only reason they have such a high value is because the de beers diamond cartel has monopolized the supply and holds them off of the market inorder to artificially inflate the price.

Thank you for your 100% correct and on spot post!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
tkbx

Activity: 350
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 03:54:41 AM

This is one of the things I love about Bitcoin. Something like gold is rare until we find more of it. Something like Bitcoin is rare until 1 != 1.
I love the idea of gold, but it's the 21st goddamn century, it can't be too long before we can make a serious profit either mining gold on other planets, moons, asteroids, etc., or creating gold.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:01:31 AM

No longer 100% correct, times have changed:
The Incredible Story Of How De Beers Created And Lost The Most Powerful Monopoly Ever
http://www.businessinsider.com/history-of-de-beers-2011-12?op=1
But more recently, countries with enormous stockpiles of their own, like Russia, Canada and Australia, have refused to cooperate with the single channel system.

These problems, along with issues of flat prices, forced De Beers to switch up the company's strategy. In the last decade De Beers has moved away from rough-diamond supplying and controlling the entire industry, instead focusing on promoting its own brand of diamonds and retail stores.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:05:47 AM

The Incredible Story Of How De Beers Created And Lost The Most Powerful Monopoly Ever
But more recently, countries with enormous stockpiles of their own, like Russia, Canada and Australia, have refused to cooperate with the single channel system.

These problems, along with issues of flat prices, forced De Beers to switch up the company's strategy. In the last decade De Beers has moved away from rough-diamond supplying and controlling the entire industry, instead focusing on promoting its own brand of diamonds and retail stores.

interesting info. one would think this would have effected the price more.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:07:04 AM

This is one of the things I love about Bitcoin. Something like gold is rare until we find more of it. Something like Bitcoin is rare until 1 != 1.
I love the idea of gold, but it's the 21st goddamn century, it can't be too long before we can make a serious profit either mining gold on other planets, moons, asteroids, etc., or creating gold.

you know that its been done. man kind has created gold. the age old quest of the alchemists has been realized. its mind boggling.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 04:14:08 AM

I suppose the illusion of scarcity will take more time to wear off.
interesting info
Yes, I learned something new today...Wish I could get paid just to learn "stuff"  Smiley

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:08:08 AM

I suppose the illusion of scarcity will take more time to wear off.
interesting info
Yes, I learned something new today...Wish I could get paid just to learn "stuff"  Smiley

you almost sort of can. by "learning stuff" about bitcoin i realized that i should buy it and it was about $12 at that time Cheesy. granted it required that i actually buy them but that was super easy compared to the "learning stuff" part that allowed me to realize that i ought to buy them.

EvilPanda

Activity: 658

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 10:52:48 AM

"The tendency in diamond mining is to combine with smaller groups to form larger ones." Just like bitcoin mining Cheesy

sudoku

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 11:28:06 AM

It would cost more to mine gold on an asteroid than it would be worth.  Just as it costs more create gold in the laboratory than it is worth.  The scarcity of bitcoin is artificial.  It is quite easy to fork the blockchain and create a version of bitcoin with 1000000x the supply.  The true value of bitcoin is the discovery of distributed concensus protocol which makes bitcoin possible.  This discovery enables a whole lot more than just bitcoin currency.  When people start to apply this discovery in earnest, it will change the world.

1SudokuNgdzsYuANDinxUBwKgfyv5cptW
GigaCoin

Activity: 308

Giga

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:40:51 PM

One of the reasons i bought bitcoin is because i was worried about the possibility of asteroid mining. I have been told that a single captured asteroid could potentially double the supply of gold or silver. This would make these elements essentially worthless as money. You wouldn't be strong enough to carry enough to buy something with them. So then my question is, if this were to happen would something like iridium or osmium be rare enough to still allow value to be portable even under these circumstances?

it's true actually, there is alot of evidence of abundant Gold, silver and iron in Asteroids.

tkbx

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 12:44:48 PM

you know that its been done. man kind has created gold. the age old quest of the alchemists has been realized. its mind boggling.
But it can't be profitable yet or gold would be nearly worthless. I'm worried about when it is profitable.
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:10:11 PM

It would cost more to mine gold on an asteroid than it would be worth.  Just as it costs more create gold in the laboratory than it is worth.  The scarcity of bitcoin is artificial.  It is quite easy to fork the blockchain and create a version of bitcoin with 1000000x the supply.  The true value of bitcoin is the discovery of distributed concensus protocol which makes bitcoin possible.  This discovery enables a whole lot more than just bitcoin currency.  When people start to apply this discovery in earnest, it will change the world.

we arn't talking about guys in space suits with pick axes here. we are talking about someone buying up a big desert somewhere and vaporizing it on entry in the atmosphere above his property and then harvesting it with a big machine like a spice harvester from dune. or something else novel like that. try to use a little more imagination.

yea all that other stuff sounds good. im a bitcoin speculator myself, i just dont pretend that its "savings".

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 05:11:50 PM

But it can't be profitable yet or gold would be nearly worthless. I'm worried about when it is profitable.

oh yea they made like a couple of atoms of gold for a price of hundreds of thousands of dollars. it would cost like a billion or a trillion times world gdp to make a single coin like that. i just think its awesome that someone out there is a true legitimate alchemist. alchemy is real and alchemists exist! mind boggling!

dKingston

Activity: 482

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 05:16:10 AM

Just think one Asteroid with the diameter one kilometer. Can provide all the world iron production for a year, all the world production for gold and silver  for 10 years. All platinum production for a thousand years. And this only for a small asteroid and there are more than 750k other asteriods with same size other even called dwarf planet.

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
LostDutchman

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 07:27:44 AM

Just think one Asteroid with the diameter one kilometer. Can provide all the world iron production for a year, all the world production for gold and silver  for 10 years. All platinum production for a thousand years. And this only for a small asteroid and there are more than 750k other asteriods with same size other even called dwarf planet.

So you are saying that the discovery of such an asteroid and the subsequent mining thereof would herald the End of The World As We Know It?

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 07:51:08 AM

lol seriously? You know he's not saying that in the slightest, he's just pointing out something entirely true and I'm a Jeweller ffs, to be honest, space asteroids would be great for someone like me because it would mean that I could buy up gold for my Jewellery at cheap prices whereas now I'm having to stick to silver because gold is just too damn expensive to learn with never mind produce a lot of Jewellery with.

The precious metals markets would certain have massive crash and you'd see panic from people like Peter Schiff but eventually we'll just go and find some other rare metal to latch onto as a store of value.
txbt

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 08:05:09 AM

we arn't talking about guys in space suits with pick axes here. we are talking about someone buying up a big desert somewhere and vaporizing it on entry in the atmosphere above his property and then harvesting it with a big machine like a spice harvester from dune. or something else novel like that.

When do you think this will be possible? I wonder how much will it cost to bring it down to earth? (assuming that aerospace regulators will allow it).

1WXXstjXvsfV1U2wSVwDACqqYrpK12W3g
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 18, 2014, 03:10:00 PM

we arn't talking about guys in space suits with pick axes here. we are talking about someone buying up a big desert somewhere and vaporizing it on entry in the atmosphere above his property and then harvesting it with a big machine like a spice harvester from dune. or something else novel like that.

When do you think this will be possible? I wonder how much will it cost to bring it down to earth? (assuming that aerospace regulators will allow it).

probably within the next 100 years. the thing is that the markets will start pricing this in 100 years in advance, and i am living proof of this because i sold silver to buy bitcoin for (atleast partially) precisely this reason.

dKingston

Activity: 482

LAUNDER BITCOIN: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
March 18, 2014, 07:23:54 PM

So you are saying that the discovery of such an asteroid and the subsequent mining thereof would herald the End of The World As We Know It?

My $.02.

Wink

I don't know why you are thinking that world would end if we are starting mine asteriods? Lol

Most of this ores are to be used in space. Like to build cities in mars, space cities, moon base and many other things. Do you know the cost of getting 1pound of payload to space?

LAUNDER & ANONYMIZE YOUR BITCOIN:
https://www.BitLaunder.com/?aid=41
harlemx

Activity: 68

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:46:09 AM

Mining asteroids is a huge undertakings. My guess mining would not even start in 2050.
sudoku

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:52:37 PM

Such an asteroid striking the earth would be equivalent to 1000 hydrogen bombs. Good luck mining the debris from the impact.

Revolution

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

Trading BTC, looking for amazon cards

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 02:54:18 PM

One of the reasons i bought bitcoin is because i was worried about the possibility of asteroid mining. I have been told that a single captured asteroid could potentially double the supply of gold or silver. This would make these elements essentially worthless as money. You wouldn't be strong enough to carry enough to buy something with them. So then my question is, if this were to happen would something like iridium be rare enough to still allow value to be portable even under these circumstances?

That is a very good question and I have no idea.

My $.02.

Wink

Well that was in depth.

"key elements needed for modern industry, including antimony, zinc, tin, silver, lead, indium, gold, and copper, could be exhausted on Earth within 50–60 years"

These

Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 19, 2014, 02:54:57 PM

Mining asteroids is a huge undertakings. My guess mining would not even start in 2050.

I disagree

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/26/bullshit-or-no-bullshit-daily-show-neil-degrasse-tyson-video_n_1455363.html
Revolution

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

Trading BTC, looking for amazon cards

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 03:06:46 PM

Those are estimates.. I mean if it does happen it will be privatized, + we have no idea what is gonna go down soon.

oomi0010

Activity: 75

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 05:48:00 PM

Such an asteroid striking the earth would be equivalent to 1000 hydrogen bombs. Good luck mining the debris from the impact.

They will not catch bring the asteriod near to earth. I think they will mine on the location and only bring back the ores.

-<{[_O_]}>-
sudoku

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 09:05:18 PM

They will not catch bring the asteriod near to earth. I think they will mine on the location and only bring back the ores.

That would be prohibitively expensive in energy and in money.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 19, 2014, 11:56:02 PM

first you find a novel way to crack it up into bits and then you drop the shards into the atmosphere above your giant desert property. maybe no such novel way of doing this exists, but also perhaps it does.

Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:01:43 AM

what you need to do is attach thrusters to the asteroid on one of its closer passes by earth, then while it is making its journey around the solar system and back again you use the thrusters to gently "nudge" it in such a manner that on its next close pass by you can lasso it in earths gravity. then you fracture it into bits with explosives or something and rain those bits down over your giant desert property to be collected by a sand sifting harvester. would this be prohibitively expensive? maybe but also maybe not, all of the gold on planet earth is pretty damn valuable.

iram3130
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010

ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 12:16:08 AM

what you need to do is attach thrusters to the asteroid on one of its closer passes by earth, then while it is making its journey around the solar system and back again you use the thrusters to gently "nudge" it in such a manner that on its next close pass by you can lasso it in earths gravity. then you fracture it into bits with explosives or something and rain those bits down over your giant desert property to be collected by a sand sifting harvester. would this be prohibitively expensive? maybe but also maybe not, all of the gold on planet earth is pretty damn valuable.

Not gonna work, that is very dangerous. Do you want create a meteor shower? When the big chunks reach the ground those will create big craters. Many civilian would die on the process. The chunks would scatter thousands of miles  on the ground and would be very hard to control.

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:08:19 AM

Not gonna work, that is very dangerous. Do you want create a meteor shower? When the big chunks reach the ground those will create big craters. Many civilian would die on the process. The chunks would scatter thousands of miles  on the ground and would be very hard to control.

yea i dont think you understand how meteors work. no offense i mean everyone cant know about everything there are a lot of things i dont know much about so please dont take it personally. only very very large meteors actually survive the atmosphere long enough to actually impact the ground. also we obviously arnt talking about sticking the worlds largest nuke at the center of the asteroid and blasting it into a thousand random uncontrolled pieces. we are talking about fracturing it at key points with controlled explosions and then guiding these pieces to the intended destination with means other than explosions.

please dont tell me that something is totally imposable simply for your own lack of imagination. it may be imposable, im not going to argue that it isnt. but please dont pretend that you know that this is the case. neither of us knows for sure one way or the other.

glendall
Legendary

Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:33:41 AM

Asteroid mining is more likely to happen in space than in Earth. They don't plan on crashing asteroids into the Earth and collecting the resources that way  Roll Eyes

It is much more likely they will have space-miners process and extract the ores in space, then transport the refined ores to Earth in shuttles, or via space elevator.

Diamonds would be  next to useless thing to mine. It is much easier to make them on Earth, which we can do, with present technology. The reason why manufactured diamonds are not sold as jewellery is purely do to with marketing and business and monopolies.... man-made diamonds are superior to mined diamonds.

There will be rare elements that could also kick gold of off its pedestal. But I think people are overlooking a big thing: which is, it will be very, very expensive to mine and transport the asteriod ores, which means that it will gradually lower prices  -- the market will not be suddenly flooded with cheap gold. That would not even benefit the mining companies so that would not happen (as is similar to the case with diamonds).

As for substitute scarce metals, I've never read up on the common elements of asteriods, but would imagine that rhodium, platinum, and iridium and osmium would be quite valuable.

If we get to the point technology where mining asteroids and returning the metals is no big thing, and we can make much of what we want from 3d printers, then either a) we will have an overlord class with supreme wealth taking what they want, and most humans will be a slave class to them, with no need or ability to purchase ores      b) we will have radically different non-scarcity based economic system where the situation will be so different that fiat will likely not be exchanged for metals. imho, of course

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
iram3130
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1010

ITSMYNE 🚀 Talk NFTs, Trade NFTs 🚀

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 02:46:23 AM

Not gonna work, that is very dangerous. Do you want create a meteor shower? When the big chunks reach the ground those will create big craters. Many civilian would die on the process. The chunks would scatter thousands of miles  on the ground and would be very hard to control.

yea i dont think you understand how meteors work. no offense i mean everyone cant know about everything there are a lot of things i dont know much about so please dont take it personally. only very very large meteors actually survive the atmosphere long enough to actually impact the ground. also we obviously arnt talking about sticking the worlds largest nuke at the center of the asteroid and blasting it into a thousand random uncontrolled pieces. we are talking about fracturing it at key points with controlled explosions and then guiding these pieces to the intended destination with means other than explosions.

please dont tell me that something is totally imposable simply for your own lack of imagination. it may be imposable, im not going to argue that it isnt. but please dont pretend that you know that this is the case. neither of us knows for sure one way or the other.

You have a unique idea . I never read anything like that until now.  Hope they don't crash the asteroid near me.  Smiley

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 03:05:38 AM

You have a unique idea . I never read anything like that until now.  Hope they don't crash the asteroid near me.  Smiley

yea as far as i know its my idea. i have no idea if it will ever be done. if i had to guess than id say it probably wont. but the chance that it would was enough to be the tipping point and sell some of my physical and buy crypto. just in case ya know, i wanted to be the first person to begin pricing it in (always better to start pricing something into the market before everyone else if possible). man what a great decision that was.

sudoku

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 09:44:38 AM

No worries. A 6 km diameter asteroid killed the dinosaurs and 75% of species on earth. Humans may survive a 1km asteroid. Remember to duck under your table.  Grin

mexxer

View Profile
March 20, 2014, 01:57:45 PM

lol i saw the idea on one of dan brown's books but not sure about the name. it can supply rare minerals so it might be useful for some people.

Taras
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1053

Please do not PM me loan requests!

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2014, 01:36:22 AM

Synthetic metal might come first I really don't know what to think about it
sana8410

Activity: 448

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 01:59:29 AM

Aren't those metals that came from asteriods radioactive?

RENT MY SIG FOR A DAY
Anon136 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 06:41:08 PM

i wouldn't be too concerned about synthetic atoms myself Cheesy

Rigon

Activity: 994
Merit: 441

View Profile
March 21, 2014, 08:31:25 PM

There won't be any difference.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: