Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:08:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Client port 443 outgoing connection  (Read 2317 times)
gnar1ta$ (OP)
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2011, 04:49:35 PM
Last edit: November 13, 2011, 04:40:49 PM by gnar1ta$

Got this today from my firewall when I started client 0.4.0 on OS X:
"Bitcoin wants to connect to store.esellerate.net on TCP port 443 (https) IP 209.87.181.216"

Is this normal?  I haven't seen it before.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 06:04:54 PM

I don't think there is any reason the Bitcoin client would attempt to make an outgoing connection on port 443 unless you are specifically telling it to do so through settings (rpcconnect, rpcssl) in your Bitcoin.conf

Are you using a stock Bitcoin.conf?

Where did you get that binary build from?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 06:38:23 PM

That domain belongs to Digital River, a company who, among other things, does third party software activations. Really strange.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 06:41:58 PM

That domain belongs to Digital River, a company who, among other things, does third party software activations. Really strange.

Maybe Gavin used that to prevent piracy with the Oracle license Tongue ?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 06:55:09 PM

Maybe Gavin used that to prevent piracy with the Oracle license Tongue ?

Well, I would freak out if my Bitcoin client was connecting to that domain, no matter the reason.

The real question here is: Where da f*** did the OP got the binary from?
gnar1ta$ (OP)
Donator

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 07:05:44 PM

It's the stock client from the Bitcoin.org website. Just downloaded and installed, no compiling or third party sources. If it's something malicious it may be happening to others without them noticing.  It isn't detected by the system firewall.  I use a network monitor/outgoing connection firewall that catches it.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 07:25:11 PM

Well, that makes things even more strange. That's an HTTP SSL connection, no reason whatsoever for the Bitcoin client to open it, even if that IP was a node, which would make the port and type of connection different.
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 07:27:46 PM

It's the stock client from the Bitcoin.org website. Just downloaded and installed, no compiling or third party sources. If it's something malicious it may be happening to others without them noticing.  It isn't detected by the system firewall.  I use a network monitor/outgoing connection firewall that catches it.

We are in deep trouble then. From official website ? Maybe it has backdoor !?
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 07:34:43 PM

We are in deep trouble then. From official website ? Maybe it has backdoor !?

Too bad I don't have even a Mac VM or I would try it.
Will wireshark my 0.3.24 on linux and see if it does the same. Maybe I can use wireshark to monitor the 0.4.0 that I have installed on my windows machine.
odysseus654

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 13, 2011, 11:51:57 PM

If you have ProcessExplorer, maybe grab a stack trace and see where the request originated from?  Run Fiddler2 in MITM-attack mode and see what it's sending?

It's possible that it's not the official client technically making this connection anyhow, perhaps there is a DLL inside the process that is initiating this action.  Your anti-virus/anti-adware up to date?
gnar1ta$ (OP)
Donator

View Profile
November 14, 2011, 12:24:44 AM

If you have ProcessExplorer, maybe grab a stack trace and see where the request originated from?  Run Fiddler2 in MITM-attack mode and see what it's sending?

It's possible that it's not the official client technically making this connection anyhow, perhaps there is a DLL inside the process that is initiating this action.  Your anti-virus/anti-adware up to date?

It's a mac...don't have ati-virus/anti-adware.  Haven't needed it before, but after this and reviewing my sshd logs (didn't have deny hosts set up properly) I think I'll install Eset.

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
November 14, 2011, 12:24:54 AM

could be the "dnsseed" ? stackexchange

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: