Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:18:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A reply to WalletCrypt.  (Read 573 times)
bitthom (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 10:09:14 AM

Hi,
since Im a new member on these forums I'll post my reply to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=35907.msg442672#msg442672 in this newbie section.

I think the idea i a valid one, but the implementation seems ... well... not really implemented correctly.
Note: I've only seen the above post and the image presented there.

http://i54.tinypic.com/jadlpw.png

"It total scrambles your wallet.dat in a single or combination of Encryption algorithms and a option to compress the encrypted wallet. It uses a pass word pharse to Decrypt the wallet and restore it back to its original state. Nothing real special but handy never the less. Full source code will available after releasing the first version(I need to setup a git account)."

You write "a single or combination of Encryption algorithms", but you only list one (1) encryption algorithm and thats the old RC4.Why RC4? Why not a modern and efficient algo like for example AES? And what other algos will you implement?

The rest are hash algos, and thus cannot in any way encrypt the wallet.dat file. They are however listed under "Encryption choices" in the images, and that scares me abit.

Since you write that WalletCrypt scrambles the wallet.dat file, I just wonder how and how is the passphrase actually protected?

If we overlook the (scary) fact that you list SHA as a encryption algo, I wonder wich SHA function you use according to  FIPS PUB 180-3 (SHA-1, SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, or SHA-512).

Thanks in advance.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2019, 07:37:33 AM

You created a new post to reply to an 8 year old topic?

Why would you use a thirth party tool if you want to encrypt a file? The standard encryption used when you lock your wallet should certainly be sufficient, but in case you don't trust the core dev's, you can always just use openssl instead of searching for a binary tool that could potentially steal your wallet...

Code:
openssl enc -aes-256-cbc -salt -in wallet.dat -out wallet.dat.enc

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀