Bitcoin Forum
October 15, 2019, 07:49:26 AM *
News: If you like a topic and you see an orange "bump" link, click it. More info.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Public key protection security upgrade (data / computational increase)?  (Read 131 times)
HardwalletAttacker1

Activity: 2
Merit: 6

View Profile
October 02, 2019, 04:23:37 PM
Last edit: October 09, 2019, 02:38:32 PM by HardwalletAttacker1

T
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crwth
Copper Member

Activity: 1092
Merit: 624

Be A Consistent Trader! Check https://gunbot.ph

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2019, 04:35:09 PM

Isn't it that public keys are public because there's no trace of anything related to your private key to have "access" to the funds?

The only unsafe thing in publicly announcing your pubkey is that they could associate transactions with your address and make a background on it. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
   ▀███████████ ███████████▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
FIND OUT MORE AT MINTDICE.COM
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1320

https://bit.ly/2FR9nyn - free python tutorials

View Profile
October 02, 2019, 06:06:26 PM

Isn't it that public keys are public because there's no trace of anything related to your private key to have "access" to the funds?

They have a factor in common actually. A private key has 4 numbers that it's made from, a public key has three (but that was three months ago when I looked at it and I get it confused with rsa).

Determining the extra data requirement is easy, look at the number of bytes each need and you have your answer! The sha384 is a bit of a useless step imo, I don't think you'd need to increase it. Ripemd160 is already at a complexity of 2^160 which is already really high. Also, there are less than 2^256 private keys so doing anything less than that makes your public key easier to access from brute forcing a private key than it does an address.

Hashing algorithms are actually pretty fast as it is though so you wouldn't suffer too much of a decrease in speeds (as in you probably still wouldn't notice it).

jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1320

https://bit.ly/2FR9nyn - free python tutorials

View Profile
October 02, 2019, 09:57:28 PM

80 rounds, the same as sha256 and ripemd320 red

I assume the security would be 2^320 plus the sha possibilities so it would be a much larger number but we're talking about a much larger number compared to an already huge number...

I haven't had any dealings with groveners algorithm but I'll probably take a look at it at some point.

crwth
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 12:58:45 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

You forgot some who stupidly may be trying to get to sesame street.
Oh, the street where meaningful learning opportunities are given? Give me some more credit man. Do you think it's any different? Instead of these nonsense comments you have, actually try to say more than what is posted. For someone like me who has less knowledge than you have, good sir.  Grin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
███▄▄▄        ▀█▀  ▀     ▄▄▄███       ▐█▄    ▄█▌   ▐█▌   █▄    ▐█▌   ████████   █████▄     ██    ▄█████▄▄   ▐█████▌
████████▄▄           ▄▄████████       ▐███▄▄███▌   ▐█▌   ███▄  ▐█▌      ██      █▌  ▀██    ██   ▄██▀   ▀▀   ▐█
███████████▄       ▄███████████       ▐█▌▀██▀▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██▀██▄▐█▌      ██      █▌   ▐█▌   ██   ██          ▐█████▌
 ████████████     ████████████        ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██  ▀███▌      ██      █▌  ▄██    ██   ▀██▄   ▄▄   ▐█
  ████████████   ████████████         ▐█▌    ▐█▌   ▐█▌   ██    ▀█▌      ██      █████▀     ██    ▀█████▀▀   ▐█████▌
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
crwth
Copper Member

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2019, 02:22:46 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

You forgot some who stupidly may be trying to get to sesame street.
Oh, the street where meaningful learning opportunities are given? Give me some more credit man. Do you think it's any different? Instead of these nonsense comments you have, actually try to say more than what is posted. For someone like me who has less knowledge than you have, good sir.  Grin

My initial thought was to actually introduce you to someone you never met before, but upon a brief moments reflection, decided to clue you in.
Grover was a character on sesame street. Brought to you by the letter B, and the number 5. A children's television workshop production. The attempt in what would be considered the near term, is about that level of mentality. Probably yours.
Oooh. I see. Not very familiar with sesame street just that it was a children's show. I didn't really realize until you told me. So I decided to research a bit.

The Grover's Algorithm could possible brute force a cryptographic hash. So you are trying to protect a public key using that? Or check the possible results of the algo then proceed with how it could not lead to those "results"? By knowing the results, you can prevent the possible reverse-engineering of a certain key. Possibly prevent future quantum attacks.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄████████▀▀▀▀███▄
███████▀     ████
███████   ███████
█████        ████
███████   ███████
▀██████   ██████▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██    ▄▄▄▄▄ ▀  ██
██   █▀   ▀█   ██
██   █▄   ▄█   ██
██    ▀▀▀▀▀    ██
▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
█▄▄      ████████▄
 █████▄▄████████▌
▀██████████████▌
  █████████████
  ▀██████████▀
   ▄▄██████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀

██  ██
  ███████████▄
    ██      ▀█
    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
    ██▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
    ██      ▄█
  ███████████▀
    ██  ██

▄
       ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀      ▄
      ▀█▀  ▀   ▄  ▄█▄ ▀█▀
     ▀███████████████████▀
        ▀▀▀█████████▀▀▀
pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1968

Remember tonight for it's the beginning of forever

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 03:54:52 AM
Merited by LeGaulois (1)

80 rounds, the same as sha256 and ripemd320

SHA384 is the truncated version of SHA512 with a different initial state so the rounds are 80 while SHA256 has 64 rounds. by the way it doesn't make much difference.
as for RIPEMD, the security of 320 and 160 bit are exactly the same. so is the rounds.
...OP seems to be trolling here though!

Dabs
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1287

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 02:47:22 PM

Is it something we need to worry about in the next 5 to 10 years? Maybe not, but doing research on longer key lengths might be useful, at the same time looking for some solution to keep the size of the blockchain in check while maintaining some security. I understand the whole 10 year history of bitcoin is good security, but we are at the point in time when hashpower of today, can rewrite the previous 5 years very quickly, if difficulty is not adjusted for by time constraints.

I'm thinking of a hybrid blockchain / state coin, meaning it remembers balances, but not necessarily all transactions since the beginning. There have been a few attempts at this, I think one of them is pascalcoin, but I haven't seen what's going on lately. There are a couple of new and upcoming projects as well, but we'll just wait and see what happens to them.

pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1968

Remember tonight for it's the beginning of forever

View Profile
October 03, 2019, 04:29:40 PM

80 rounds, the same as sha256 and ripemd320
SHA384 is the truncated version of SHA512 with a different initial state so the rounds are 80 while SHA256 has 64 rounds. by the way it doesn't make much difference.
If there was a dedicated attack on sha 256 from a govt adversary, increasing the rounds, of sha 2 would give you more years of safety from that.
If you went to ripemd 320, that would stave off a possible partly quantum attack with grover's alg, so they wouldn't even be able to get to the potential sha 256 attack.

you seem to be making the false assumption that the hash algorithm performing its permutation more times (having a higher iteration or rounds) should mean having a higher security. that is not the reason why SHA512 has higher rounds, the reason is to increase its security to be on par with SHA256 and make differential cryptanalysis just as hard. in simple terms 80 rounds under the hood of SHA512 is the same as 64 rounds under the hood of SHA256.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.