Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:43:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156976 times)
Ferris419

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 02:58:41 PM

Ok so I did the voltage mod on all 14 of my gridseeds last night. When I went to bed all 14 were mining just fine. Today I moved to a different pool and I just checked on my cgminer only 11 were submitting shares 3 of them had 0 WU and weren't submitting any shares but the red and green lights are flashing on all 14 Gs ? Any ideas? It was only running for a half hour when I noticed this should I just let it run longer and see if they start working like they should?

Bitcoin is gonna hit 100K usd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wolfey2014

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 03:00:02 PM

Don't try this at home, kids:

I've tried to mine BTC with a volt-modded unit...  Cry

It seems to me that FB23 and FB24 are gone, does anybody has the specs? Maybe I can replace them.

What did you do to cause that?

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:04:35 PM

He tried to to dual mine with the current voltmod
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 03:13:28 PM

I don't see how that could have burned up those particular connections / components. Especially the fan feed wires! How the heck did they manage to overheat? Them being burned up indicates to me that the fan is the possible culprit!
These pods and those components are supposed to be able to handle a good amount of current and heat while mining in dual mode. 60W at least!
More investigation needs to occur before the actual 'reason why' can be determined.

jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:26:33 PM

I don't see how that could have burned up those particular connections / components. Especially the fan feed wires! How the heck did they manage to overheat? Them being burned up indicates to me that the fan is the possible culprit!
These pods and those components are supposed to be able to handle a good amount of current and heat while mining in dual mode. 60W at least!
More investigation needs to occur before the actual 'reason why' can be determined.

well if modded they use like 15/20 watt, how much watt could they draw on dual mode? maybe that's the problem?
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 03:37:41 PM

well if modded they use like 15/20 watt, how much watt could they draw on dual mode? maybe that's the problem?

yes, obviously, they do draw more in dual or sha only mode.
The thing is, if there are lose or poor solder joint connections, this will cause a rise in current draw hence, heat and catastrophic destruction will ensue! Just like it did there...
For the fan wires to have melted and distorted the way they did, the heat from the entire pod would have to be like 350+ degrees! Highly doubtful that happened.
For the fan wires to have melted the way they did, the heat would have to be generated by the 'elements' / wires - themselves.
That's what I see. The rest of the components were burned up via a short and that, perhaps is what caused the solder connections to melt and open.
Or, I suppose it could have also all happened in a flash! That 12V connection can have as much as 30 Amps on it at any time 'surge amps' if the psu is a 30A unit. Even 10A can do it. Heck, 5A could do it too I recon but it would take longer.
It's also possible that the psu took a powder and caused the damage as well. A high current spike, a high voltage spike, of some origin could cause it as well. Something like a lightening strike could certainly cause it as well.

CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:43:22 PM

The thing is, if there are lose or poor solder joint connections, this will cause a rise in current draw hence, heat and catastrophic destruction will ensue! Just like it did there...
For the fan wires to have melted and distorted the way they did, the heat from the entire pod would have to be like 350+ degrees! Highly doubtful that happened.
For the fan wires to have melted the way they did, the heat would have to be generated by the 'elements' / wires - themselves.
That's what I see. The rest of the components were burned up via a short and that, perhaps is what caused the solder connections to melt and open.
Or, I suppose it could have also all happened in a flash! That 12V connection can have as much as 30 Amps on it at any time 'surge amps' if the psu is a 30A unit. Even 10A can do it. Heck, 5A could do it too I recon but it would take longer.
It's also possible that the psu took a powder and caused the damage as well. A high current spike, a high voltage spike, of some origin could cause it as well. Something like a lightening strike could certainly cause it as well.

Yes, my PSU is 30A and I saw a flash as soon as I started mining in BTC-only mode.

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 03:51:08 PM

Yes, my PSU is 30A and I saw a flash as soon as I started mining in BTC-only mode.

I just noticed this. What is that on the positive + wire of the fan? Is that a Zener diode or resistor (burned up) inline there?
The results look to have been caused by a short.
You said you saw a flash. You didn't say where from 'exactly'.
You MUST be very concise and specific in order to assist anyone trying to help.

I am sure what ever happened, for real, is a rare occurrence. Very rare and, most likely caused by the user via some oversight or mistake or incorrect assumption.

Magic black smoke. It's always trying to escape! Wink

nemercry

Activity: 339

Vice versa is not a meal.

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:02:22 PM

It seems to me that FB23 and FB24 are gone, does anybody has the specs? Maybe I can replace them.

Hey Cryptkeeper,

the item you are searching for is this one(Replace FB23 and FB24 with that):
http://de.farnell.com/wurth-elektronik/742792121/ferrit-smd-300ohm-3a-1206/dp/1635756RL

reaplce it and never try to use dualmining again Smiley...
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:06:10 PM

Hey Cryptkeeper,

http://de.farnell.com/wurth-elektronik/742792121/ferrit-smd-300ohm-3a-1206/dp/1635756RL

Quite possible the Gridseed chip(s) are fried already...or Voltage supply parts...
nemercry

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:06:53 PM

Ok so I did the voltage mod on all 14 of my gridseeds last night. When I went to bed all 14 were mining just fine. Today I moved to a different pool and I just checked on my cgminer only 11 were submitting shares 3 of them had 0 WU and weren't submitting any shares but the red and green lights are flashing on all 14 Gs ? Any ideas? It was only running for a half hour when I noticed this should I just let it run longer and see if they start working like they should?

Do you still use fans on the units? Did they submit shares again, after restarting cgminer?
Ferris419

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:17:52 PM

Do you still use fans on the units? Did they submit shares again, after restarting cgminer?

Yeah I still use the fans and nope I can't get the 3 to submit any shares and the WU stays at 0.0 .... The red and green LEDs are acting normal and it shows that it's hashing but no luck

Bitcoin is gonna hit 100K usd
CryptKeeper
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:37:29 PM

Hey Cryptkeeper,

Thanks, highly appreciated!

@wolfey2104: I will try to shorten the connections as you suggested, maybe there's some live in it left!  Wink

Follow me on twitter! I'm a private Bitcoin and altcoin hodler. Giving away crypto for free on my Twitter feed!
nemercry

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:38:26 PM
Last edit: April 12, 2014, 05:19:19 PM by nemercry

You don't have to replace the FB just to see if the unit will still work or not.
Bypass it and fire up the pod again and see if it will mine in Scrypt ONLY mode! Wink
Make sure you clean up those solder connections first, too.
If it works, get and replace the FB. If not, then it's now a brick and will make a nice ornament or paper weight.

We've been saying all along, ever since the first attempt at over-volting. This mod is for Scrypt only mode!
Do not attempt to use SHA or DUAL mode with this mod. Bad things can happen! Wink

Actually i would be really carefull and NOT just soldering it. It's actually a frequency filter which acts also like a fuse.
As its possible that your pod is still alive, dont break it with just soldering the broken parts.

From wikipedia:
A ferrite bead is a passive electric component that suppresses high frequency noise in electronic circuits. It is a specific type of electronic choke. Ferrite beads employ the dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite ceramic to build high frequency noise suppression devices. Ferrite beads may also be called blocks, cores, rings, EMI filters, or chokes.[1]

@Wolfey: Please stop to give out such advices and dont post your picture in every second post with highest resolution.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 04:58:24 PM

You don't have to replace the FB just to see if the unit will still work or not.
Bypass it and fire up the pod again and see if it will mine in Scrypt ONLY mode! Wink
Make sure you clean up those solder connections first, too.
If it works, get and replace the FB. If not, then it's now a brick and will make a nice ornament or paper weight.

We've been saying all along, ever since the first attempt at over-volting. This mod is for Scrypt only mode!
Do not attempt to use SHA or DUAL mode with this mod. Bad things can happen! Wink

Actually i would be really carefull and NOT just soldering it. It's actually a frequency filter which acts also like a fuse.
As its possible that your pod is still alive, dont break it with just soldering the broken parts.

From wikipedia:
A ferrite bead is a passive electric component that suppresses high frequency noise in electronic circuits. It is a specific type of electronic choke. Ferrite beads employ the dissipation of high frequency currents in a ferrite ceramic to build high frequency noise suppression devices. Ferrite beads may also be called blocks, cores, rings, EMI filters, or chokes.[1]

@Wolfey: Please stop to give out such advices and dont post your picture in every second post with highest resolution.

Nemercry, your advice is not needed and it is also incorrect!
It is perfectly fine and okay to bypass the FB for a quick test to see if the unit will fire up again, in Scrypt only mode!
The best way to check for a short 'first' is to use a DVM, before power is applied!
IF there is a short somewhere, replacing the FB will be a waste of time, anyway!
What the FB is or what it does is irrelevant. But, it is in series with the circuit, not across it! It is NOT intended to act as a fuse either but, just like a ZD, if overloaded or overvolted (in a ZD's case) a ZD will short out a circuit. In the case of an FB, it will burn up and open the circuit. But that is not it's primary function in any case.
Anyway, the FB burning up is simply an indication of a severe overload or short 'after' it in the circuit. So some probing for a short 'after the FB' with a DVM is definitely advisable!
Nemercry, if you have a complaint or concern, PM me or the moderator.
Don't bore people with this stuff in public.

nemercry

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:16:57 PM

From wikipedia:

What the FB is or what it does is irrelevant.
You actually made me laugh hard Cheesy.
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
April 12, 2014, 05:21:49 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2014, 01:03:27 PM by wolfey2014

From wikipedia:

What the FB is or what it does is irrelevant.
You actually made me laugh hard Cheesy.

So, you decide to bore people with our antics,,,okay- fine!
and I quote....
"which acts also like a fuse" WRONG!
Laugh at that  Grin

Here is the right way to do it.
IF you need it done by a professional for you, PM me.

david123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:25:24 PM

Hey guys, I just did the R52 replacement with a 47K SMD resistor at one of my units, worked fine, had no troubles while
doing the mod (I'll post pictures later).
Now, locally I see the increased hash rate as expected (e.g. close to 500 @ 1150MHz) with no or few HW errors and rejects,
but poolside it looks much worse (below 300). Now I went down to 1000 MHz, but it gets even worse.. 56 KHs poolside Sad
I'm using a Raspberry Pi with Hashra.

Any ideas..?
bon4ire

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:32:00 PM

Hey guys, I just did the R52 replacement with a 47K SMD resistor at one of my units, worked fine, had no troubles while
doing the mod (I'll post pictures later).
Now, locally I see the increased hash rate as expected (e.g. close to 500 @ 1150MHz) with no or few HW errors and rejects,
but poolside it looks much worse (below 300). Now I went down to 1000 MHz, but it gets even worse.. 56 KHs poolside Sad
I'm using a Raspberry Pi with Hashra.

Any ideas..?

Revert back?
david123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:42:45 PM

Revert back?
That would be a bit boring, no? Cheesy Down at 850 it's doing minerside as before the mod, and poolside slightly worse.
The output leads to the same direction: Apr 12 17:41:13 bfgminer[23935]: 20s:373.7 avg:360.5 u:309.2 kh/s
I checked with the multimeter, it's certainly a 47k resistor. That's all really strange...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: