Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:54:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 86 »
  Print  
Author Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod  (Read 156976 times)
gamefixer

Activity: 440
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 12:18:03 PM

pics are not showing up.  Smiley

EDIT: Uh... yeah they are. Never mind.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jemison

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 01:42:37 PM

Hi,
as you know Wolfey has done fantastic job on modding his GDs.

He is using 0.125W 38k resistor.
I can buy this resistor locally http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/metal-film-06w-39k-ohm-resistor-m39k

This one is 0.6W 39k and I'm not sure if difference in W makes any difference . 0.125W and 0.6W.

Can I use 0.6W instead of 0.125W ?

Thank you very much for your help Smiley

Thanks for your kind words.
As I stated in my PM's back to you, .6W 39K should be fine.
The main purpose of the wattage spec of 1/8W resistor is that the physical size is not too big to fit and the wires on the resistor are not too big to fit over and solder to the solder points on the pcb.
De-solder the 36K and replace it with the 38/39K resistor. You can solder it across the two solder points put there for the resistor / capacitor network. They left the capacitor out during manufacturing so there are two extra points one can use to solder the resistor wire across them.

Simply solder the new resistor in place like I did in the attached pics.

Here are the pics of my handy work. Please excuse the left over resin (black stuff) around the resistor connections. I didn't have any pcb cleaner on hand at the time, but the resin won't hurt a thing as it is completely non-conductive. Just looks a little bit messy  Cheesy
All mods  - Resistor - Jumpers - Pencil trace - 5V Fan connections
https://i.imgur.com/l7XM4hc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/S1XEaUU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uTknHx5.jpg 5V fan connections - https://i.imgur.com/yhuGpmS.jpg
Red wire (+) intentionally connected to the tiny fuse (FB25) as it's easier to solder to than any other point.
Fan start-up current is 140mA for 1.2sec then levels out to 78mA constant.
Tin your wire (if it isn't already) before you solder to the fuse terminal so as to keep from accidentally de-soldering the chip from the pcb. This way, it only takes a second to solder the wire to the terminal.

If this helps you, please feel free to show your appreciation by sending some coin. Wink
Not mandatory but, very appreciated! Wink

Make these modifications at your own risk!

Peace!
Wolfey2014

Thanks Wolfey - this is helpful.
HashFire

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 02:04:51 PM

Hi,
as you know Wolfey has done fantastic job on modding his GDs.

He is using 0.125W 38k resistor.
I can buy this resistor locally http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/metal-film-06w-39k-ohm-resistor-m39k

This one is 0.6W 39k and I'm not sure if difference in W makes any difference . 0.125W and 0.6W.

Can I use 0.6W instead of 0.125W ?

Thank you very much for your help Smiley

Thanks for your kind words.
As I stated in my PM's back to you, .6W 39K should be fine.
The main purpose of the wattage spec of 1/8W resistor is that the physical size is not too big to fit and the wires on the resistor are not too big to fit over and solder to the solder points on the pcb.
De-solder the 36K and replace it with the 38/39K resistor. You can solder it across the two solder points put there for the resistor / capacitor network. They left the capacitor out during manufacturing so there are two extra points one can use to solder the resistor wire across them.

Simply solder the new resistor in place like I did in the attached pics.

Here are the pics of my handy work. Please excuse the left over resin (black stuff) around the resistor connections. I didn't have any pcb cleaner on hand at the time, but the resin won't hurt a thing as it is completely non-conductive. Just looks a little bit messy  Cheesy
All mods  - Resistor - Jumpers - Pencil trace - 5V Fan connections
https://i.imgur.com/l7XM4hc.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/S1XEaUU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/uTknHx5.jpg 5V fan connections - https://i.imgur.com/yhuGpmS.jpg
Red wire (+) intentionally connected to the tiny fuse (FB25) as it's easier to solder to than any other point.
Fan start-up current is 140mA for 1.2sec then levels out to 78mA constant.
Tin your wire (if it isn't already) before you solder to the fuse terminal so as to keep from accidentally de-soldering the chip from the pcb. This way, it only takes a second to solder the wire to the terminal.

If this helps you, please feel free to show your appreciation by sending some coin. Wink
Not mandatory but, very appreciated! Wink
BTC = 13y5XhVuKGrRipbvYdcrvYDsx69rBPUbwR
LTC = LR6U7jB2Fb4pJYogbergqQHZgBRQ5UAqBG

Make these modifications at your own risk!

Peace!
Wolfey2014

Pea Ess, if you want me to make these modifications for you, PM me and we'll discuss it.
I am certainly qualified to do it, without bricking your pod of course! Wink

Thanks for the photos.  How safely can we mix and match these mods?  Right now I don't have an iron tip fine enough to do the soldering mods.  I either need to modify something or order something.  I am interested in the pencil mod and the fan mod tonight though.  Would this be safe? 
wolfey2014

Activity: 378

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 02:23:54 PM

"Thanks for the photos.  How safely can we mix and match these mods?  Right now I don't have an iron tip fine enough to do the soldering mods.  I either need to modify something or order something.  I am interested in the pencil mod and the fan mod tonight though.  Would this be safe? "

No, I don't believe the pencil mod will do any good without the other 3 mods.
Pencil mod is to adjust PLL voltage which needs to be corrected due to the offset caused by the two solder jumpers and the resistor is a timing adjustment to smooth out clock transitions at higher frequencies I believe.

You can make the 5V fan mod any time but remember, it's recommended for Scrypt only operation.
It has not been tested in SHA or SHA / Scrypt mining mode!

As usual, do these mods at your own risk!

Wolfey2014

I Modify Miners Professionally! PM me for details!
nemercry

Activity: 339

Vice versa is not a meal.

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 04:21:32 PM

@Wolfey2014: Can you post a proof of your cgminer running for over 24hours ?

Would be happy to see that! As for now it looks like you did some real good work here Smiley.

Regards
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 05:12:31 PM
Last edit: March 25, 2014, 10:36:15 PM by wolfey2014

@Wolfey2014: Can you post a proof of your cgminer running for over 24hours ?

Would be happy to see that! As for now it looks like you did some real good work here Smiley.

Regards
Thanks for your complement! Wink

I'm running cpuminer.
What kind of proof can I provide?
I can tell you that both modified miners have been running rock steady over 39 hours so far.
No errors except for a couple when first started for some reason.
Other than that, I have not seen any errors.

Wolfey2014

puffmais

Activity: 404

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 05:58:24 PM

Thanks at all for giving out this nice mod.

my GS is running now at 1000mhz without hw errors  Smiley
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 07:21:43 PM

I'm very pleased with their stable performance at 1000MHz!
Running it solo, I'm seeing nearly 600KH's out of it at the pool. Wink
NICE!

So, what's next? How do we squeeze more performance out of them? Any ideas?
I'm game!

Peace!
Wolfey2014

Dayum! Your getting 600k out of ONE of them? Real nice!

Good job, Wolfey...

Where are all the pictures...of 600 KH...post some ...please... Wink
pbj sammich

Activity: 272

Fighting Liquid with Liquid

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:40:15 PM

I can tell you that both modified miners have been running rock steady over 39 hours so far.

Wolfey2014

Seriously nice job Wolfey2014!
Jemison

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:48:10 PM

Wolfey2014

I found a community workshop that has both equipment and expertise.  Now I just need to find resistors.  Might be able to get at least one done in the next couple of days ^^
ZiG

Activity: 406

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:57:40 PM

Wolfey2014

I found a community workshop that has both equipment and expertise.  Now I just need to find resistors.  Might be able to get at least one done in the next couple of days ^^

Where...?...US...?
Reggie0

Activity: 107
Merit: 13

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 08:58:39 PM

FB25 is a Ferride Bead, which is a high frequency filter.
Jemison

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 09:00:14 PM

Wolfey2014

Where...?...US...?

No, it's in Montreal - but this is the site where I found the workshop - maybe your location has one: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces
Jemison

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 09:11:15 PM

"Thanks for the photos.  How safely can we mix and match these mods?  Right now I don't have an iron tip fine enough to do the soldering mods.  I either need to modify something or order something.  I am interested in the pencil mod and the fan mod tonight though.  Would this be safe? "

Pencil mod is to adjust PLL voltage which needs to be corrected due to the offset caused by the two solder jumpers and the resistor is a timing adjustment to smooth out clock transitions at higher frequencies I believe.

You can make the 5V fan mod any time but remember, it's recommended for Scrypt only operation.

Wolfey2014

Wolfey,

Somewhere in this thread is mention of a cgminer version that allows you to set the voltage.  I realize you're using cpuminer, but do you think all 4 mods are required if we used the voltage mod cgminer?  Value your opinion.

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 10:12:04 PM

Where are you located Wolfey?  I'd be interested in your services, would you consider a bulk discount... I have 20 units.

Thanks.

Sure!
Please PM me your info and requirements and we'll get you started +$ benefiting $+ from
my mods Wink

Thank you my friend!  Grin

Wolfey2014

SUGO

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:16:06 PM

A question a little OT:  why in cgminer i can raise clock only by 50mhz step? if i try like 10mhz GS start at 600Mhz...
wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 10:28:14 PM

Wolfey2014

Wolfey,

Somewhere in this thread is mention of a cgminer version that allows you to set the voltage.  I realize you're using cpuminer, but do you think all 4 mods are required if we used the voltage mod cgminer?  Value your opinion.

Thank you!

You ask a GOOD question.

Well, from what I understand - the current mods bypass having to soft set the PLL and Core Voltages.
Personally, I can't say one way or the other if soft adjustment is beneficial or not. I have heard 'rumored' that soft fine adjustment of 1000MHz  up to 1048MHz stable is possible.

I'm going to have to convert over to one of the other programs to be able to read client side hash rates.
I just don't like all the tweaking that is still going on over the course of cg and bfg during it's 'use as it evolves' phase. I am not interested, at this stage of their evolution, in becoming an unwilling guinea pig Wink
I'm happy with cpuminer and what the pool's report in spite of their second by second inaccuracy. A bit of an understanding of odds, how they are avaraged out and common sense helps me figure out what the 'not so rough' improvement figure is for a given pod's clean hash rate.

Some sites like litecoinpool give a 24 hour average speed and that's close enough for me.
Besides and 'primarily' it only really counts what performance stats one sees pool side as that directly correlates to how much moolah it's gonna make you Wink - the end product, the result, the win! $$$$ Wink

I guess I'm gonna have to learn one or the other 'unless there is a better alternative' because I could give a hoot what else the program does. All I want it to do is show me an accurate local hashrate as a separate program from the rest of it. And it MUST not be memory hungry like cpuminer 'isn't!' Thank you very much GridSeed!  Wink
It would be cool if not great if GC would take back up updating / tweaking their very good and very stable program! It lives!  Grin
IMO, cpuminer is very optimized and user friendly compared to the others IMO.
If the others were less complex and learning curve intensive, I'd of bothered to test them too by now.
Lots of other people like/love them though. So, to each their own.

Peace!
Wolfey2014

wolfey2014

View Profile WWW
March 25, 2014, 10:31:06 PM

Wolfey2014

Thank you very much! Wink

Please feel free to PM me if you want me to modify your miners.

Wolfey2014

jamieb81

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:33:14 PM

Bounty for someone making up a new CPU miner with actual hashrate and hell why not an Win GUI that would regroup all open cpuminer instances and where you could manage them from the GUI. let's dream a bit :p
gamefixer

Activity: 440

View Profile
March 25, 2014, 10:35:12 PM

Bounty for someone making up a new CPU miner with actual hashrate and hell why not an Win GUI that would regroup all open cpuminer instances and where you could manage them from the GUI. let's dream a bit :p
^^^^^^^
This!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 86 »
  Print  

Jump to: