Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:05:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Worlds Worst, most stupid video card???  (Read 5647 times)
m3sSh3aD (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 12:20:17 PM

Ok, So ASUS are known for there MARS edition which is overpriced power hungry monsters, But this is a underpowered, 3 CARD SLOT (AT LEAST) and truely bemusing beast! Did NVIDIA pay them to make this insanely stupid card with a Die shrink just around the corner??? Check t out, With the EXTRA heat sinks too!!!

http://semiaccurate.com/2011/11/14/colorfuls-gtx-560-ti-kudan/

WHY? WHY? WHY? lol
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Olly_K

Activity: 361

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 02:51:03 PM

Damn !!! Wonder if you can SLI those Smiley

Most people that are that worried about temps will be on water anyway
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 02:55:25 PM

Well it is nearly silent but anyone who wants nearly silent can get better performance in a single slot by watercooling.  Seems like a "solution" in search of a problem.

air = horribly inefficient working fluid.
air = cheap to use as a working fluid.

water = incredibly efficient working fluid.
water = moderately expensive to use as a working fluid.

Making something inefficient AND expensive is dubious at best.  Someone will buy it though.
m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 03:53:10 PM

Well it is nearly silent but anyone who wants nearly silent can get better performance in a single slot by watercooling.  Seems like a "solution" in search of a problem.

air = horribly inefficient working fluid.
air = cheap to use as a working fluid.

water = incredibly efficient working fluid.
water = moderately expensive to use as a working fluid.

Making something inefficient AND expensive is dubious at best.  Someone will buy it though.

Or does it just show how inefficient Nvidia's GPU's are Tongue JOKE!, no flame wars Smiley

It's just OTT for such a mid ranged card that will be outdated in 2 months. At least from ATI, Nvidia's paper launches are reather annoying. THey love banging the drum Smiley
cicada

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 05:38:38 PM

Or does it just show how inefficient Nvidia's GPU's are Tongue JOKE!, no flame wars Smiley

You seem intent on starting one...  but you're not going to find a lot of nVidia fans around here.

Did NVIDIA pay them to make this insanely stupid card with a Die shrink just around the corner???

The card manufacturers lease their designs from the designer (aka nVidia) - nVidia has partnered with several vendors for some of their odd technology like 3D Vision in the past, but generally nVidia isn't paying anyone to produce cards using their chipsets - it's quite heartily the other way around, as this is how they make their big money.

It would be like the farmer bringing his milk to the shop and paying the shop owner to stock it.  

I don't think there's anything to derive from this ridiculous card other than ASUS 'Colorful' being ridiculous.

[edit] Misunderstood and thought this was an ASUS card, it's made by a company I've never heard of, 'Colorful' - it'd be extremely odd for nVidia to pair or subsidize such a creation with an unknown company even more so than the big-guns like ASUS or EVGA.

The only 'why' is 'because they can'

Team Epic!

All your bitcoin are belong to 19mScWkZxACv215AN1wosNNQ54pCQi3iB7
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 05:53:56 PM

Air doesnt leak. Thats a big + for me Smiley
Granted, the above card is completely OTT, particularly for "just" a 560, but Im a sucker for crazy, if the price isnt as insane as the design, I could see myself buy something like that, as Im also a sucker for silent, I have fear of water and dont believe in sli/crossfire for gaming.

m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 06:02:04 PM

Yes i know, But in the past Nvidia have 'paid' there way just as much as Intel or Microsoft. By whatever means necessary in most cases.

Safe to say that this is all colorful's work but i have heard of them lately and they are producing some good stuff it seems. Sapphire are the ones that have most impressed me though. XFX are garbage and ASUS i have a 6950 as a replacement for an XFX 5870 which i wouuldnt have chosen personally as i have a bit of a grudge against ASUS for there non existent customer service. Although i imagine alot of far east countries tech help not being great. Then again, in todays age who does have good customer service... Smiley

The little boys are beginning to produce some good stuff while bigger company’s like ASUS are struggling a bit. Nice to see different ideas but this isnt one of them and cant find many people wanting this thing..... but the general public never fail to suprise you Smiley

p4man - I'd recommend ATI 58XX or 6870/69XX with thermalright's corresponding Heat sinks and fans for VRM's/GPU/RAM etc. but then this route probably will be quite more expensive than this...... thing haha. But it wouyld get better results and theres some nice 3rd party coolers with 2-3 fans on them just the same. Its all about how much your willing pay for quiet Smiley
P4man

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 06:45:00 PM

p4man - I'd recommend ATI 58XX or 6870/69XX with thermalright's corresponding Heat sinks and fans for VRM's/GPU/RAM etc. but then this route probably will be quite more expensive than this...... thing haha. But it wouyld get better results and theres some nice 3rd party coolers with 2-3 fans on them just the same. Its all about how much your willing pay for quiet Smiley

I already have a Thermalright spitfire + VRM R5 on my 5870. Thats why Im saying this thing isnt that insane. 1 GHz at 40C GPU and 55C VRM, while being virtually noiseless (more silent than watercooling); that is insane. Its not cheap in absolute terms, but cheap compared to water cooling and at least the spitfire cooler will likely carry over to future cards.

PatrickHarnett

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 08:52:25 PM

So, air is cheap, water moderate, well I suppose I'd better go for SODIUM as an expensive option.

A great metal, liquid at modest temperatures, electromagnetic pumping, terrific thermal conductivity, used on some of the best nuclear reactors (low pressure so doesn't go bang like TMI, Chernobal or Fukushima).
cicada

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 08:53:56 PM

So, air is cheap, water moderate, well I suppose I'd better go for SODIUM as an expensive option.

A great metal, liquid at modest temperatures, electromagnetic pumping, terrific thermal conductivity, used on some of the best nuclear reactors (low pressure so doesn't go bang like TMI, Chernobal or Fukushima).

I double-dog-dare you to do a sodium/water combo Cheesy

Team Epic!

m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 09:12:54 PM

I already have a Thermalright spitfire + VRM R5 on my 5870. Thats why Im saying this thing isnt that insane. 1 GHz at 40C GPU and 55C VRM, while being virtually noiseless (more silent than watercooling); that is insane. Its not cheap in absolute terms, but cheap compared to water cooling and at least the spitfire cooler will likely carry over to future cards.

No way, they were the ones i was looking at for OC'ing more when i first started tinkering and worried about the VRM's. Then i brought a IR thermal pen and found that its well below 100 Smiley Waters sound, Get some self enclosed ones like Crucial's CPU thing, Silent. VGA i suppose you have to go out of your way.... for now....but someone will have something soon, if they aint already Smiley
PatrickHarnett

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 10:35:01 PM

I double-dog-dare you to do a sodium/water combo Cheesy

I double lol - I've seen what metallic calcium and potassium do in water, and sodium is great at keeping large bottles of acid "dry" (leave a lump in the bottom of HCL and it reacts with any stray H20 - although I hear industrial steam cleaning the reused bottles goes a bit wrong if there are left-over pieces).  That's a long time ago now.

Still, sodium/water - I wonder if I could get the temperatures over 200C?  Might need a fan.
P4man

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 10:47:05 PM

Then i brought a IR thermal pen and found that its well below 100 Smiley

You mean the back of the PCB, opposite to the VRM is below 100C. For your card's sake I hope its way below 100C.

m3sSh3aD (OP)

View Profile
November 15, 2011, 11:18:28 PM

Then i brought a IR thermal pen and found that its well below 100 Smiley

You mean the back of the PCB, opposite to the VRM is below 100C. For your card's sake I hope its way below 100C.

Yes, it went 111 at 1000+ so be about the 120 top mark, still acceptable in my book for lasting 3 years, But i wouldn't bet on it Smiley Alls cool Smiley
legolouman

Activity: 504

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 09:18:53 PM

Honestly, here's a story. A friend of mine uses four 560 Ti's in SLI. He gets to run all new games at max on a nice sized (not to mention resolution) screen. He also gets 70~fps in any game. Of course they are water cooled, and he's probably dropped about $3,500 into getting his graphics setup going. Moral of the story? Two words, stream processors.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
cicada

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 09:39:16 PM

Two words, stream processors.

Yes, these are the things that AMD/ATI cards have a great abundance of, which make them better at mining.

I'd be curious to see if he sees any difference between 2, 3 or 4 of those cards, from the research I've done SLI doesn't really give significant gains past two cards. 

I get very near double performance with two 6950's crossfired, however.

Team Epic!

legolouman

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 09:42:44 PM

Two words, stream processors.

Yes, these are the things that AMD/ATI cards have a great abundance of, which make them better at mining.

I'd be curious to see if he sees any difference between 2, 3 or 4 of those cards, from the research I've done SLI doesn't really give significant gains past two cards. 

I get very near double performance with two 6950's crossfired, however.

Well from what it seems, he get's similar performance between 2 cards and 4. I'm not sure why he has four to be honest.

cicada

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 10:07:55 PM

I'm not sure why he has four to be honest.

Team Epic!

Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2011, 10:10:54 PM

love how they spam their name at any spot that looks like it will blend in- it's an 'air-kit'

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
legolouman

View Profile
November 17, 2011, 11:14:29 PM

I'm not sure why he has four to be honest.

You have concentrated the epic of this thread into one post.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: