Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 08:51:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice on Raspberry pi hardware for running full BTC node  (Read 3135 times)
klaaas

Activity: 1568
Merit: 544

View Profile
November 11, 2019, 10:36:17 AM

You can compromise too, you should be able to change Raspian's boot script to not load the GUI on boot, then just take note of the command (probably the startx script in /etc/X11) that loads the GUI. Then you can make sure you know you're good on the command line, but have the option of going into the GUI still available.
Correct, that can be managed in the raspi-config
Iirc you could also log out from the gui to the command line so a reboot is not needed.
May the node end up on a hard to reach place you could enable the build inn VNC server in the raspi-config and access the gui remotely.

Shopping online and sats back as a discount! (satsback) + LightningNetwork

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Icygreen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1135

View Profile
November 12, 2019, 07:42:34 PM

Core it taking its sweet time. Day 6 and 54% done. 

I'm downloading/syncing core to an external HD.

Question:
Can I stop core, remove the hard drive and continue the sync/download on another machine?
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3068

View Profile
November 13, 2019, 11:01:26 AM

usual advice applies:

• Put the /.bitcoin/chainstate folder on your fastest available disk (/chainstate is ~ 2-3GB during sync), add a symlink to it inside /.bitcoin folder
  • Increase dbcache setting in your bitcoin.conf file (or as a cmd parameter to bitcoin executable) to a healthy proportion of available RAM
  • If you're using a disk with Linux filesystems (ext3 or 4, btrfs etc), when you mount <IcyGreens_disk_name> <IcyGreens_mountpoint>, slip in -o noatime,noreltime as an option (check man mount for full details)

so if you have e.g. 8GB RAM, smash dbcache up to 2000MB or even 4000MB. 16GB RAM, put it up to 8000MB. Big speed increases.

Also, Bitcoin Core 0.19.0.1 has improved code for syncing, translating to a ~ 5-10% speed increase (depends on how big dbcache is set). 0.19.0.1 will be out before the end of the week (probably)

Vires in numeris
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 14, 2019, 02:17:57 AM

RPi4 Bootloader EEPROM info

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md

Should be possible to get this on regular Debian based images by adding the Raspian repo to your /etc/apt/sources.list file

one of the fixes resembles the problem @IcyGreen was having (intermittent boot issues)

Vires in numeris
Icygreen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 01:09:13 AM

usual advice applies:

• Put the /.bitcoin/chainstate folder on your fastest available disk (/chainstate is ~ 2-3GB during sync), add a symlink to it inside /.bitcoin folder
  • Increase dbcache setting in your bitcoin.conf file (or as a cmd parameter to bitcoin executable) to a healthy proportion of available RAM
  • If you're using a disk with Linux filesystems (ext3 or 4, btrfs etc), when you mount <IcyGreens_disk_name> <IcyGreens_mountpoint>, slip in -o noatime,noreltime as an option (check man mount for full details)

so if you have e.g. 8GB RAM, smash dbcache up to 2000MB or even 4000MB. 16GB RAM, put it up to 8000MB. Big speed increases.

Also, Bitcoin Core 0.19.0.1 has improved code for syncing, translating to a ~ 5-10% speed increase (depends on how big dbcache is set). 0.19.0.1 will be out before the end of the week (probably)

Thanks for your thoughtful response. I'm sorry, maybe I should've been more clear, I've got about 2 days experience so far with terminal on the RP and I'm afraid that much of what you've written has gone over my head.   Cry   I'm only now starting to comprehend how core downloads and syncs with the network.  
59%.....  
Carlton Banks
Legendary

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 10:48:29 AM
Last edit: November 15, 2019, 11:51:44 PM by Carlton Banks
Merited by ABCbits (2)

ok!

your Pi has a main disk (SD card usually)

The top of the tree is / (which is equivalent to C:\ on Windows)

You're always logged into a user account

That account has all it's files at /home/<IcyGreensUserName>, the name is probably the default name chosen by Raspbian

Bitcoin puts all it's config files in /home/<IcyGreensUserName>/.bitcoin

One of those folders gets read and written to constantly during syncing, and that one (.bitcoin/chainstate) can be put on a fast disk (e.g. SSD) to speed sync up massively

So that Bitcoin doesn't get confused and think the chainstate folder has died and gone to heaven, you put a link telling it where to look for it in /home/<IcyGreenUserName>/.bitcoin, cos that's where Bitcoin looks for the chainstate folder

Like this:

Code:
ln -s /<new location for chainstate folder on fast disk> /home/<IcyGreenUser>/.bitcoin/chainstate

If you do ls -lh /home/<IcyGreenUser>/.bitcoin you'll see the link file in there, and it'll also show you where the link is pointing to

Then, open a new file called bitcoin.conf in /home/<IcyGreenUser>/.bitcoin. Do  nano /home/<IcyGreenUser>/.bitcoin/bitcoin.conf

Type dbcache=2000 into the new file, then do Ctrl-o, then Y, then press Return, then Ctrl-x (Ctrl-o is save, Ctrl-x is quit)

Now when you start bitcoin, it's using dbcache=2000 as an option. You can add other options to bitcoin.conf the same way, just open it in nano, and put only one option per line.

Vires in numeris
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 05:25:03 PM

So that Bitcoin doesn't get confused and think the chainstate folder has died and gone to heaven, you put a link telling it where to look for it in /home/<IcyGreenUserName>/.bitcoin, cos that's where Bitcoin looks for the chainstate folder

What happens if this chainstate folder is deleted (or died and gone to heaven) ? Wouldn't this be perfect to place in a ramdisk if you have the hardware?

Or you copied everything from another machine to this one, except for the chainstate foder?

Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 15, 2019, 09:48:43 PM

Oh, sorry, my bad, I was talking for other hardware that have more RAM, (so other than RPi, that is). That other hardware would rarely be turned off or shut down, so if chainstate can be rebuilt upon restarting, that would be ok then? Not using pruning mode.

DaveF
Legendary

Merit: 6132

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2019, 05:44:34 PM

So I had a few of these cables:

Basically you plugged a power source into the microUSB female end
The male micro USB went into the RPi
The USB went into the RPi and the other end went into an external USB drive.
The 5V from the power source was what powered the USB drive.

Very nice for doing things like this, it kept the cable mess to a minimum.
I can't find any more of them, does anybody know where I can snag a few.

Thanks,
Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DaveF
Legendary

Merit: 6132

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2019, 06:19:38 PM

I have serious concern whether this cable are able to power-on Raspberry Pi (which could have up to 4 USB device) and an external drive.
Have you used the cable on Raspberry Pi and other USB device without problem (no blinking red LED on Raspberry Pi) ?

Yes, I have 3 of them in use now. I was going to build another one and was looking for the same cable.
The Pi in theory can only have 3 USB devices because it is taking up one. But, so long as you have enough amps coming out of the 5V wall adapter it works fine.

It's more to keep it neat. 

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Dabs
Legendary

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 19, 2019, 04:35:54 PM

I think the Pi can also be powered by connecting to the GPIO pins. I'm not sure if that's a good idea as you typically want to power the Pi "normally", and any power hungry devices should either have their own power, or just connect as few as you can directly to the Pi.

A powered hub makes sense if you're connecting several USB devices, like more than one hard drive or SSD.

The Pi is actually good to run a full node since power consumption 24/7/365 is going to be like less than $1 a month, depending on where you live. I've seen figures close to $5 to $10 per year.

Icygreen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 01:52:46 AM

I moved Bitcoin core to another device at 64% and the HD is now reporting errors on two machines. Errors also on Bitcoin core asking to rebuild the database. I can still access my HD. Sigh... I guess that means either the data or HD or both are corrupt? Letting core repair just starts the sync again from the beginning.  Cry
Deathwing
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1328

Stultorum infinitus est numerus

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2019, 02:49:53 AM

I moved Bitcoin core to another device at 64% and the HD is now reporting errors on two machines. Errors also on Bitcoin core asking to rebuild the database. I can still access my HD. Sigh... I guess that means either the data or HD or both are corrupt? Letting core repair just starts the sync again from the beginning.  Cry

Try reindexing the Blockchain most likely while attempting to copy there were a few block files stuck mid-download or mid-index and resulted in corruption, reindexing should help you with that. If possible, it's probably better if you just download/sync it on your computer (to make sure everything works) and then just move the files to the external SSD/HDD which you can then connect to RPI.
KD6-3.7

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 08:43:33 AM

Hello everyone,

this is my new post on this forum and I didn't want to start a new topic. I am also looking to learn to run a Full Node and connect it to Coldcard + Wassabi (in the future) and all of this is new to me. I was researching a lot last couple of days but found the best information in this thread. So in short I just wanted to as you guys about opinion:

Since I'm new to RPi and to putting my hardware together as well as running Bitcoin Core and Linux in general (yes, I've been living under the rock..  Grin ) wouldn't it be easier for newbie like me to:

- Download Bitcoin Core to my spare laptop ( i5, 8Gb RAM, SSD drive) and set blockchain to sync on external SSD
- Learn Linux (i was planning to do a course on this anyway)
- Then wait for stable version of new RPi and buy components (I've already looked into that so I know what I need) and learn to set it up there (preferably running over TOR?)
- Set the blockchain directory on RPi to that external SSD I've downloaded it on my laptop
- Enjoy compact size Full Node running 24/7 and then learn to use command line / SSH to broadcast transactions from my ledger to a multisig guarded by Cold Card (prefferably going throu Wassabi first for annonimity)?

Interested in your opinions. If this is wrong place I'm sorry, I'll post it somewhere else.

Cheers!

(all of this is what I've learned on Twitter, I've been lurking in this space for a while but never on this forum. Forgive me if those questions are super dumb)
Deathwing
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 21, 2019, 11:32:31 AM

Hello everyone,

this is my new post on this forum and I didn't want to start a new topic. I am also looking to learn to run a Full Node and connect it to Coldcard + Wassabi (in the future) and all of this is new to me. I was researching a lot last couple of days but found the best information in this thread. So in short I just wanted to as you guys about opinion:

Since I'm new to RPi and to putting my hardware together as well as running Bitcoin Core and Linux in general (yes, I've been living under the rock..  Grin ) wouldn't it be easier for newbie like me to:

- Download Bitcoin Core to my spare laptop ( i5, 8Gb RAM, SSD drive) and set blockchain to sync on external SSD
- Then wait for stable version of new RPi and buy components (I've already looked into that so I know what I need) and learn to set it up there (preferably running over TOR?)
- Set the blockchain directory on RPi to that external SSD I've downloaded it on my laptop
- Enjoy compact size Full Node running 24/7 and then learn to use command line / SSH to broadcast transactions from my ledger to a multisig guarded by Cold Card (prefferably going throu Wassabi first for annonimity)?

Interested in your opinions. If this is wrong place I'm sorry, I'll post it somewhere else.

Cheers!

(all of this is what I've learned on Twitter, I've been lurking in this space for a while but never on this forum. Forgive me if those questions are super dumb)

You are right on point. I would check the third one though. Raspberry Pi 4 was released just not too long ago. I doubt there will be a new Raspberry Pi releasing in the next few years unless there is a huge jump in ARM technology. No need to wait for a new one if you want to use your wallet.
Icygreen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2019, 09:18:07 PM

Hello everyone,

Cheers!

Welcome! Indeed, this is a perfect place to start. I'm in a very similar position to learning these things and would appreciate your shared experience in this.  Looking forward to hearing from you.
Deathwing
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 22, 2019, 02:05:35 PM

You are right on point. I would check the third one though. Raspberry Pi 4 was released just not too long ago. I doubt there will be a new Raspberry Pi releasing in the next few years unless there is a huge jump in ARM technology. No need to wait for a new one if you want to use your wallet.

But there will be Raspberry Pi 4 with newer revision codes, especially to faulty USB-C design on Raspberry Pi 4 which makes only specific USB-c cable works.

They usually get pushed out very silently (with the newest batch) so... maybe? You got a point but it's really not that big of a chance like the first few Pi models. (B - B+ kind)
KD6-3.7

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2019, 10:53:04 AM

Yeah, with wait I meant for more stable and bug fixed version 4. Thanks for advice. Will keep you updated. For now I will order 1TB SSD and sync on that spare laptop. Tomorrow I'm sitting down to Linux course. WML  Wink
Icygreen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2019, 01:41:47 AM

Had to step away for a bit due to travel and now finally getting back to the Rpi 4 full node mission.
Wow, what a difference downloading core to an internal ssd on a good computer makes! Finished in 20 hours!  Was expecting at least a few days from my previous experience.
I should have it copied to an external HD and running on the Rpi shortly.  Fingers crossed.
Icygreen (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2019, 03:51:39 PM

Can I mirror my trezor wallet on Bitcoin core? Perhaps a watch only wallet.  I'm not intending to use the synced wallet for new transactions quite yet since I'm familiar with the trezor.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: