Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:14:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Something More than just a Contest to celebrate Bitcointalk Anniversary  (Read 194 times)
Bightening (OP)

Activity: 66
Merit: 18

I literally do byte.

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 10:54:48 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2019, 10:33:11 PM by Bightening

I’m brand New here as you can see, but read a lot on the bitcointalk platform throughout my first minutes here. So I figured the meaning of Meta from Wikipedia and thought this to be the right place to post this without breaking the rules.

There’s a celebration going on about bitcointalk platform, but I could find only a few contests to celebrate the platform’s anniversary. But I think there could be more to celebrating Bitcointalk other than having a contest.

I, for one, isn’t good with Art, so I guess it translates to me not participating in Btt Art Contest. So I would like to suggest the Moderators and Admin body of the platform Make a thread most probably on Meta with an idea to celebrate BTT platform and with activities which consist of forum members participating by posting about popular events on the platform that was very influential to the BTT community, Bitcoin development, development of different Altcoins, Blockchain technology, or the World (Society, politics and all what not).  

I saw a voting thread, but my suggestion is quite different, it’s no voting thread but more like a discussion. It’s more like a thread to bring back memories, tag your old friends and talking about how time flies and how much progress the community has made, while discussing lessons learnt, profits made, friends lost and all what not.

I’m pretty sure new members like me would appreciate a thread about how BTT developed and how we could put in our own efforts too.

Edit; You can add your suggestion on some other Fun/Educative Way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the forum. We’ve got 26 days left, I guess the moderators might adopt yours

I hope there are days when your coffee tastes like magic, your playlist makes you dance, strangers make you smile, and the nightsky touches your soul.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2019, 10:57:20 AM

There is already a caption contest going on: https://bitcointalk.org/captions.php

The whole idea of that contest is to collect notable posts which detail the history of the forum, important events in Bitcoin's history as a whole, and so on and so forth. No-one is stopping you from making threads on these topics either - I don't feel that there needs to be a contest for that, the whole idea of a forum is to create and participate in discussions Smiley

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 10:57:22 AM

You can submit threads/posts via this link: https://bitcointalk.org/captions.php

Its suppose to show the historical, and noteworthy posts of the forum. I feel we need to get some comical posts in there too so feel free. You can also vote on other users submissions. If you have any other ideas though there's nothing stopping the community from making threads about the celebration of the 10th anniversary as long as they are substantial.
Bightening (OP)

I literally do byte.

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 11:22:46 AM
Last edit: October 28, 2019, 01:02:00 PM by Bightening

There is already a caption contest going on: https://bitcointalk.org/captions.php

The whole idea of that contest is to collect notable posts which detail the history of the forum, important events in Bitcoin's history as a whole, and so on and so forth. No-one is stopping you from making threads on these topics either - I don't feel that there needs to be a contest for that, the whole idea of a forum is to create and participate in discussions Smiley

I actually suggested a thread created by a moderator that would give it the attention. Secondly, Unlike others, not not going to be a contest. Thirdly, it’s not a voting thread but one where members can discuss about these old posts.
I actually saw the voting thread where member can add any of these old posts, but I don’t think members can ’discuss these threads’

I finally created a thread after giving some thoughts to it. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5196608.0

You can submit threads/posts via this link: https://bitcointalk.org/captions.php

It also says ‘Newbies can’t participate’. I don’t think it lets me read it either.
I also think these threads should be open to newbies, not to post on, but to read. It would be motivating.

I hope there are days when your coffee tastes like magic, your playlist makes you dance, strangers make you smile, and the nightsky touches your soul.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 11:56:57 AM

It also says ‘Newbies can’t participate’. I don’t think it lets me read it either.
I also think these threads should be open to newbies, not to post on, but to read. It would be motivating.
Ah, I didn't consider newbies wouldn't be able to submit anything. If you've got a few noteworthy posts you can post them here, and I'm sure a few users would be willing to add them if they're substantial.
Bightening (OP)

I literally do byte.

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 12:13:14 PM

Ah, I didn't consider newbies wouldn't be able to submit anything. If you've got a few noteworthy posts you can post them here, and I'm sure a few users would be willing to add them if they're substantial.

I don’t think you got my point. The fact that Newbies can’t read this thread isn’t a good idea. I think newbies would enjoy the content, except there’re some reasons.

A thread like this would be great; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4564216.0, but this time for awesome and influential posts on Btt.  Newbies should be allowed to view the thread too.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 01:34:12 PM

A thread like this would be great; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4564216.0, but this time for awesome and influential posts on Btt.  Newbies should be allowed to view the thread too.
Going back to my original point, you can create a thread like that yourself. It doesn't require a moderator to do it, and anyone is free to make a discussion post about Bitcointalk history or noteworthy threads on the forum. I'm sure some users are already planning a few threads for the 22nd of November, and I imagine theymos will have a few things to say himself. However, if you want a thread before then you can make it.
hugeblack
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 3592

Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2019, 05:23:32 PM
Merited by DdmrDdmr (1)

A thread like this would be great; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4564216.0, but this time for awesome and influential posts on Btt.  Newbies should be allowed to view the thread too.
The best solution for such ideas is for people who have created such topics to return and then the community can communicate with them. But if new members talk about old topics, it will be a meaningless debate.
For example, @laszlo returns to tell his experience about Bitcoin, why he paid 10,000 Bitcoin to buy a pizza and how he feels about it.

Maybe the forum should try to find a way to connect with the old members to participate in this celebration.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
Bightening (OP)

I literally do byte.

View Profile
October 28, 2019, 09:55:57 PM

A thread like this would be great; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4564216.0, but this time for awesome and influential posts on Btt.  Newbies should be allowed to view the thread too.
The best solution for such ideas is for people who have created such topics to return and then the community can communicate with them. But if new members talk about old topics, it will be a meaningless debate.
For example, @laszlo returns to tell his experience about Bitcoin, why he paid 10,000 Bitcoin to buy a pizza and how he feels about it.

Maybe the forum should try to find a way to connect with the old members to participate in this celebration.

That’s a nice suggestion. Most of the old members are very much alive, although busy, it wouldn’t be so much difficult to get them join in the celebration.  Theymos and some other moderators must have been making plans for 22nd of November, which is about 26 Days from today. I’ll suggest we find a way to get them to see this.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: