Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 11:08:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Economic Incentives for Inflating Cryptocurrency  (Read 242 times)
Kyraishi

Activity: 952
Merit: 513

View Profile
November 07, 2019, 03:43:08 AM

Lol, this is a different look at things, never thought that someone would want to bring inflation rates to cryptocurrencies, especially since a lot of people have holdings in crypto to prevent inflation from hitting.

It's a weird idea, but it does have a possible use case and might work - but personally, the inflation rate is too high, 7% is more than double what regulation inflation rates are in advanced economies.

It's interesting, but it'll be a very short-term coin and likely would die in the long term fairly easily.

When I first thought about it, I also thought it could be a fun joke. Smiley

If you take the current fiat base, like USD, and inflate at 7% per year, then I think 7% is high. But with a crypto chain, we start from 0.

The reward system is:

0: 50 (supply: 10 million)
1: 25 (supply: 15 million)
2: 12.5
3: 6.25 (end of halving)
4: 6.56 (start of inflation 7%)
5: 7.02
6: 7.51
7: 8.04
8: 8.60
9: 9.20
10: 9.85 (supply: 31 million)

It'll take almost 30 years to reach 100 million supply. That is not a lot. Seriously. Smiley
Ah... I see now, so just to fully clarify, I'm assuming that the rewards are made via mining? And it's similar to bitcoin in that sense, where it starts halving first, to reach 6.25 per block reward, and then it starts inflating?

I think 30 years is more then enough when it comes to a crypto-currency, I personally don't think Bitcoin would survive another 20 years, possible 15 or so before we see new tech coming.

Fun concept, I would love to see it implemented!

dnprock (OP)

Activity: 324
Merit: 17

Bitflate developer

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2019, 05:04:26 AM

Ah... I see now, so just to fully clarify, I'm assuming that the rewards are made via mining? And it's similar to bitcoin in that sense, where it starts halving first, to reach 6.25 per block reward, and then it starts inflating?

I think 30 years is more then enough when it comes to a crypto-currency, I personally don't think Bitcoin would survive another 20 years, possible 15 or so before we see new tech coming.

Fun concept, I would love to see it implemented!

Thanks, it is a fun concept. It could be the next big thing in crypto. Wink

And yes, the reward system does halving until 6.25. Then it turns around and starts inflation of 7%. This is to ensure that it inflates based on its supply of about 19 million. I calculated supply out in a table here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQueAgcI5ZyqkeFe6qcx7kaAsXJxZD-iZF2eLgduvlkwSl60qB0vN8-VlF2PJ-JFgvRZlUVzBdk8qSO/pubhtml

I implemented it Smiley. Bitflate coin is live on mainnet. People have been mining the coins. We're still early. Supply is currently at 2.8 million coins. First halving will happen at about 10 million coins.

https://explorer.bitflate.org/

You can mine the coins or buy it on Unnamed Exchange.

https://www.unnamed.exchange/Exchange?market=BFL_BTC

Bitflate is experimental. Please use pool and exchange with caution.
Hydrogen
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1441

View Profile
November 07, 2019, 05:16:17 AM

The reason inflationary currencies have bad reputations involves the expansion of the money supply being distributed primarily to the wealthy. This results in economic and social imbalance over time, as the wages of poor to middle class earners fail to maintain pace with the growth of true inflation.

I'll give you an example.

Normally if inflation is 7% per year. The wages of the wealthy might inflate at 25% per year. While the wages of everyone else inflates at 1% per year or some rate that is far below what it should be in a fair and equal society.

This negative precedent underlies social trends such as the rise of homelessness, the affordability of college education, real estate and buying your own home. All of those negative trends can be traced back to the cost of goods and services growing at the rate of inflation, while wages fail to keep pace for many consecutive years on end.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: