Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:05:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I’m stuck and need help.please  (Read 130 times)
blahtimes10 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 08:09:29 PM
Merited by HCP (1)

Good afternoon,

I was given a printed back up of the wallet from my fathers estate. so at this point I just want to know what it is. I am looking for help to get armory online *note that it was not my choice to use armory but a necessity.

i’m currently getting the error that says that the connection to the bitcoin core client was lost. the scanning indicator for the database build and transactions are just a spinning wheel with no percentages applied.

The technical information related to this installation is that I downloaded a pruned version of bitcoin core 18.1 by selecting the default prune option within the bit core application.

Armory is version 96. I left the path blank to default for armory to sync with the bitcoin core install directory and home directory.

The operating system is the latest version of windows 10 on an Asus Zen book with an i5 processor and 8gb memory and 250 GB solid-state drive

I am seeing that the bitcoin core is taking up about 60 gig because of the prune leaving me with about 198 GB available on the machine

I Messaged Goatpig asking for some guidance and it responded that I should get an external drive with at least 500 GB available to move the bitcoin core to, and see if I can get some guidance from the forum. so before I do anything else , because I do have about five days of full-time work into trying to figure this out, I would love any help.

so where I’m at right this minute is I have a Seagate 2 TB portable drive that has a USB type C adapter which will work with the ASUS.

i’m pretty sure that I need to reset my iOS to factory because my hard drive is looking funky after deleting some files trying to free up space when I initially tried to download the whole entire bitcoin core prior to selecting the prune option.

i’m considering copying the bitcoin files over to the Seagate external hard drive and then resetting the iOS on the Asus to get it functioning properly and then re-installing both the Bitcoin core and armory clients, pointing to the external drive.

Is there a thread on here anyone would recommend that will help me move forward with what I have, or instructions on starting from scratch?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 08:21:15 PM

I was given a printed back up of the wallet from my fathers estate. so at this point I just want to know what it is. I am looking for help to get armory online *note that it was not my choice to use armory but a necessity.
Is there a thread on here anyone would recommend that will help me move forward with what I have, or instructions on starting from scratch?
If you're just trying to recover your funds and don't intend on using Armory going forward, then you can simply ignore the Bitcoin Core installation and setup. Just install Armory, restore the Armory wallet from the paper backup, and then export your private keys.

Then you can import/sweep the private keys into the wallet of your choice. (Personally, I'd recommend sweeping... as it helps ensure that the coins are on "non-exposed" private keys)

I have an old tutorial post (with screenshots) of how to export your keys here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4746784.msg43255691#msg43255691

If you're wanting to continue using Armory (or you are not comfortable with the security implications of exporting/importing private keys) then you will need to install Bitcoin Core and create a "non-pruned" install. Armory requires a "full" Full Node... it needs all the block data, which you won't have if you use pruned mode.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
blahtimes10 (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 08:45:22 PM

HCP, thanks for the response. Armory seems to be beyond my league of technical comprehension. I'm really looking to do whatever is going to allow me to see what is in the wallet, as fast as possible. I don't even need to be able to spend it right now. It would be huge to be able to see previous transactions as well. We just need to know if there is something substantial or not for the kids to inherit. It's important to document what is in there before the printed backup gets into too many hands (executors).

Questions about exporting the keys:
Will this process of exporting the keys make the paper backup invalid, or will the paper back up still work if someone decided to use Armory to make a transaction?
What is the simplest/quickest way to import the keys into a new wallet, and which wallet?

Thanks again. At least I got my wife to let me buy another hard drive!!
HCP
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 4315

<insert witty quote here>

View Profile
November 02, 2019, 10:21:37 PM

Exporting keys won't invalidate the backup. It will re-create the same wallet/private keys forever.

If you want to simply check the wallet contents... Just export the addresses from the wallet, Don't tick the "private key" box... Just select "Address String" and "Include unused"...

Then use a block explorer like block cypher, btc.com, blockchain.com etc to see if the addresses show any transaction history/balance.

Alternatively, you could simply copy/paste all the exported addresses into Electrum and it will find all the transaction history/balances for you.

By using addresses only, you'll create a "watching only" wallet in Electrum, your private keys won't be exposed and you won't need to worry about any coins be stolen etc.

When creating the Electrum wallet, simply use the "import Bitcoin addresses/private keys" option during setup...

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
blahtimes10 (OP)

View Profile
November 03, 2019, 04:00:28 AM

I followed the instruction of selecting the "Address string" and "include Unused" and "omit spaces in key data". There were about 1,000 addresses starting with the number 1 and about 51 characters long. At the end of each address string was "(unused/address pool)". I copied the whole list, pasted into google docs/word, and did a find all and deleted the (unused/address pool), because of the size of the list,  and then re-copied all the lines to paste into the Electrum wallet. What happened is that I see a zero balance for everything, the Tx is 0, and The type for every transaction is "receiving". Am I doing this correctly, or is it that this wallet has 1,000 receiving addresses, and no money? When I click on the "history" tab, there is no entries.

Exporting keys won't invalidate the backup. It will re-create the same wallet/private keys forever.

If you want to simply check the wallet contents... Just export the addresses from the wallet, Don't tick the "private key" box... Just select "Address String" and "Include unused"...

Then use a block explorer like block cypher, btc.com, blockchain.com etc to see if the addresses show any transaction history/balance.

Alternatively, you could simply copy/paste all the exported addresses into Electrum and it will find all the transaction history/balances for you.

By using addresses only, you'll create a "watching only" wallet in Electrum, your private keys won't be exposed and you won't need to worry about any coins be stolen etc.

When creating the Electrum wallet, simply use the "import Bitcoin addresses/private keys" option during setup...

https://bitcoinelectrum.com/files/2017/06/electrum-import-privkey-1-1.png

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: